Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Secure beekeeping made easy  (Read 39070 times)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Secure beekeeping made easy
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2012, 12:54:31 am »

Is there a way to mod the bee sting?
Check the file named creature_insects.txt.  There are lines for pain and swelling that you can mod, although I have no idea what the parameters mean.  You might check the modding forum.  I can't believe no one has "weaponized" the bees.   :P

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85521.0

There was an attempt to mod weapon bees, but it appears to have been forgotten.

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:HONEY_BEE]
[DESCRIPTION:A small flying insect that lives in large colonies.  It has a powerful stinger on its tail.  Its hives are prized for their honey.]
[VERMIN_BITE:50:stung:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:VENOM:LIQUID]
[DIE_WHEN_VERMIN_BITE]
[REMAINS_ON_VERMIN_BITE_DEATH]

[CREATURE:BUMBLEBEE]
[DESCRIPTION:A small woolly insect that lives in hive colonies.  It has an annoying sting which it rarely uses.]
[VERMIN_BITE:10:stung:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:VENOM:LIQUID]

Most other biting vermin have the second number as 10, except for brown recluse spiders, which have it as 1. I'm guessing based on the descriptions that it controls the frequency or probability of a bite, so we should try cranking it up to 100 or more.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2012, 01:18:02 am »

[VERMIN_BITE:50:stung:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:VENOM:LIQUID]

Hm...I don't suppose it's possible to change the venom to magma is it?

Edit: I was thinking something along the lines of taking something from a magma crab or fire imp. Maybe a FB stinger on them?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 01:20:01 am by Morpha »
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2012, 01:18:49 am »

Okay, untargetable steel-tipped vorpal brown recluse venom beasts and each one stings you more than a whole hive of bullet ants would if they were literally inside you, all by itself. These bees are fucking sexy, pardon the language.
Edit: Magma. I... I am at a loss for words.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2012, 01:20:41 am »

This totally has to happen.

Edit: Well, Guess i'll mess around with the raws and dfhack (make vermin into bees) and see what happens.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 01:23:15 am by Morpha »
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2012, 01:31:32 am »

Here's a preliminary, 5 minute-made go at it. The steel tipped stingers is likely unnessesary, as I believe vermin_bite will just nail someone near them. Going to add it anyway. This (ultra)bee should have a 100% chance to sting a fool by Da Vinci's logic (and the wiki, check vermin bites http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Creature_token) it causes moderate bleeding and paralysis per sting, and the kicker: dwarves are completely immune. We could add some fun things, like tiny axes attached to every leg (do bees have 6 legs, or what?). That'd be a truly dorfy bee. Of course, then they would need beards...........

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ler's put some new features to a vote!!!
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2012, 01:38:59 am »

Well. Assuming this works, it should spit molten rock at people but I might of made an error. Will update if I come up with some results.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2012, 01:49:27 am »

I am literally drooling on myself. This is so in my games now. Should I replace bees with it, or just throw it in there?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2012, 01:51:46 am »

The wicker man rises!

This is just a beautiful idea.
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2012, 01:53:05 am »

I am literally drooling on myself. This is so in my games now. Should I replace bees with it, or just throw it in there?

Replace bees with it, because Armok knows the beekeeping labor needs to be more useful =P

Edit: awesome. Butchering them provides basalt, so if I allow them to breed I can have a bee farm that provides raw basalt, glob form at the moment though. Need to test combat cababilities, at the moment they are just tame pets.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 02:09:05 am by Morpha »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2012, 02:44:00 am »

No, you don't need to replace bees. Ultrabee is compatible with all artificial hives, and can be interacted with by any beekeeper dwarf! Buy today!

Translation: Your beekeeper dwarves should automatically make hives for these guys, as they have the proper tags to allow it.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2012, 02:52:14 am »

Okay, I don't know what happened there. Embarked with 200 lava bees modded with the pet tag and went afk for a while. Come back to all of them dead bar one. Going through the combat log, about half an hour into being afk they suddenly started a mass push-war which resulted in major casualties (ie, all but one bee) and the dwarves being bruised to an extreme. Seems they don't sting as a result of one of the tags I added, nor do they use the magma crab's spit attack despite it being added. Will research more later. Not sure what set them off, nothing was happening for ages.

OscarComrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2012, 11:11:51 pm »

This kills the bees.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2012, 03:15:58 am »

This kills the bees.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(not exactly nsfw, but I guess it depends on opinion.)

Instantly thought of this.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 03:17:31 am by Morpha »

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2012, 10:03:20 pm »

That is completely true and reasonable to assume.
He's fucking with us.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2012, 11:14:10 pm »

Hm...I don't suppose it's possible to change the venom to magma is it?

Try this:

Code: [Select]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:VENOM:STONE_TEMPLATE]
[ENTERS_BLOOD]
[PREFIX:NONE]

Stung victims bleed to death (fat melting), and then have their bodies burst into flame. This can lead to grass fires and massive death.

Stray Bunny (Tame) has been stung by a honey bee!
The Stray Bunny (Tame) has bled to death.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6