Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Welcome to The Hub: A World of Darkness Forum Game (Waitlist Open)  (Read 11039 times)

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile

The world is not what you think. Beneath skyscrapers' leering gargoyles, factories belching smoke and streets packed with the human throng lurk things we are not meant to see. Creatures dwell in the shadows and hidden places. They watch you, stalk you and prey upon your body and soul. The life you lead is a lie. Your darkest fears aren't make-believe.
They're real.

What's all this, then?
This is a forum-based, sandbox gothic horror forum game in the World of Darkness setting, utilizing the New World of Darkness rules. It is set in Boston, Massachusetts, albeit a darker mirror-image.

By "sandbox" I mean that you can, quite literally, do anything you want. You are constricted only by what your character can and would do. You can do anything, be anyone, or go anywhere you please. This does not mean, of course, that the world lacks consequences, and every action has an equal and opposite reaction even if such things go unseen.

As a player you may be a homicide detective searching out the truth behind a series of grisly murders, a simple businessman trying to make it through the day-to-day grind, a college student hustling to finish that last bit of research, or one of society's downtrodden searching for their next meal. You will glimpse past the curtain of reality, into things better left unknown to man, and you may choose to tear it aside and seek the truth. Or perhaps not.

What you do is up to you. Your choices will effect the world, or at least your small slice of it.

What are the Character Creation Guidelines?
Naturally, character creation rules may be found in the New World of Darkness core rulebook. All players are required to start as a mortal (there will be rules on paranormals, later), and begin with 0 exp. You may utilize any book you have available, aside from Mirrors, simply trusting that I'll be able to acquire access to them (simply note where it comes from in your sheet). In turn, I will trust you not to cheese things up.
I should note that I highly discourage the use of Second Sight, but I will allow it provided there is adequate explanation for its use in your backstory/description.
You may utilize this site to create a character sheet, or pastebin. You may PM me your character sheet, if you want to keep things secret for some reason.
A well-written, spell-checked background/description of your character, including goals and motives, is also required. Your character need not be from Boston, or even Massachusetts, but they've come to Boston and live there now, for whatever reason.
I reserve the right to turn down any app from any person for any reason or lack of reason.

Ok, But How Will the Game Itself Work?
Ah, good question.
Spoiler: How Turns Work (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Timekeeping (click to show/hide)

Other
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 08:25:12 pm by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to The Hub: A World of Darkness Forum Game
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 07:50:02 pm »

It Is: Monday March 10, 2012

The Herald
Spoiler: Headlines (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Weekly Police Blotter (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Obituaries (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 11:07:17 pm by thatkid »

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 07:50:21 pm »

Player List
1. Michael "Angel" Raguel - Filiusenox
2. Terrence Kennard - SingularByte
3. Charlene "Charlie" Tanner - Deep Waters
4. Frank Carver - Simple
5. Elizabeth "Liz" Karsten - Hailfire
6. Robert Heriman - McClay
7. Noemi Schor - RogueArchivist
8. Johnatan "Sparkly" Spark - Shadenight123
9. Hirov Ferrin - Phantom of the Library

Code: (Wait List) [Select]
etc.

The OOC Thread is here.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 08:24:54 pm by thatkid »

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 08:09:46 pm »

Posting to follow this.
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 11:05:22 pm »

Monday Marcy 10, 2012

+-- Michael "Angel" Raguel (Filiusenox) --+
You've been living here for about three months now, having moved in shortly before a small wind-fall following your last job on some construction site in Quincy (a small city just outside of Boston). Today is the day that you begin your new job as an orderly at The Hillcrest Center for the Elderly in Roxbury. It's still early in the morning when you see Mary off for school and prepare to leave yourself. It's only a short walk to the Bus Stop followed by a short train ride to the Center, but you'd rather be early rather than late on your first day.

As you're descending your apartment building's stoop, you notice a moving van across the street. From the furniture coming off the truck, it looks like your new neighbor has just moved in from another era. His wood-armed couch looks like an antique, but not next to the globe they're unloading now, which looks even older. The owner, a shrunken little man in tiny spectacles and a bow tie, watches the movers go by from a beat-up wooden bench of his sitting near the curb. From the bare wood on its sides it looks like it came out of an old building somewhere.

Exits: You're outside.

+-- Terrence Kennard (SingularByte) --+
It's Monday again, and time to get back into the swing of things. After making up your usual breakfast affair, you head down into the shop below to get set up for what will probably be another uneventful day, despite whatever freaks and weirdos usually drop in to take a look around. They're usually all the same, after all, just aging hippies with little crystals dangling from their ears and throats.
It's about 9:30 now so today's helper, Liz, should arrive soon. An odd duck, that one, but you suppose you once believed in all that stuff she goes on about, so you can't really blame her. And maybe she will find absolution about all that tragedy she endured, that's what the myths are for, after all, aren't they?
But enough reminiscing. What sort of morning routine do you go through? What are you up to?

Exits: Stairs (Up), South (To Street), North (To Storeroom)

+-- Charlene "Charlie" Tanner (Deep Waters) --+
The phone's ringing, pounding at the inside of your skull and aggravating an already nasty hang-over. It happened again last night. You were out with Annie and Aurel celebrating (or perhaps mourning) the beginning of another work week when it started. First buzzing, then the muttering. You were at a bar in Allston, not the Club on Newbury Street where it all began (which you haven't been able to convince yourself to return to yet), and, being as far out as it was, it took everything you could muster to marshal your terrified mind into creating a convincing excuse to leave and then make the short walk home. You promptly passed out once you got back, after taking some of your meds.
Phone's still ringing. Are you gonna answer it?

Exits: West (Living Room/Kitchen Hybrid)

+-- Frank Carver (Simple) --+
You didn't go to Eddie's funeral, though you probably knew the guy well enough that you should have. The people you were making the delivery too were bad, torn to shreds, bloody smears in the carpet which mixed with your vomit once you realized what you were looking at, but there was something altogether more frightening about the way Eddie went. Three bullets: Stomach, Chest, Head. They found him some time last week, the funeral was on Sunday.

You didn't get much sleep last night. Every time you close your eyes now, you see that damned living room, a lock of hair and a chunk of scalp twined around the leg of a coffee table. Besides, you thought you heard something moving around last night. Whoever rolled Eddie, they're probably coming after you too, and you know your locks won't keep them out. Probably looking for that stupid book, some trashy supernatural romance novel. Not one about vampires, one you've never heard of, about a lover brought back from the dead.
You thought maybe you had left it behind in that Living Room, but there it is. Sitting on the back of your toilet as you step out of the shower...

Exits: South (Bedroom)

+-- Elizabeth "Liz" Karsten (Hailfire) --+
Another Monday, another 10-to-4 in "The New Age Haven." That shop has become more than just a paycheck to you. It provides easy to access to books and supplies for your research into your mother's death, and into the events that took place back when you were in college. You haven't been able to find any clear answers yet, but you're confident they'll come along some day. You can almost feel it...

But it's 9:30, you need to be to work by 10 and you're still at home. What's up with that?

Exits: West (Hallway), East (Bedroom), North (Bathroom)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 12:20:53 am by thatkid »

Deep Waters

• Bay Watcher
  • earth does break the things that we make
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 11:36:26 pm »

I glare at the phone for a moment, then I sigh. It's probably Dad again.

I debate for a moment whether to answer. I wasn't looking forward to not-so-subtly shooting down his thinly-veiled attempts to get me to move back to California yet again, and I was more worried than ever about my... episodes. It seemed that they'd been happening more and more frequently lately. Finally, I decided that I should just answer already. If I ignored him, he would just call me again sometime later, and he'd probably be angry at me for doing that, too. Somehow he always knew when I was trying to avoid him.

I drag myself miserably out of bed, moving slowly to avoid aggravating my hangover, then go to pick up the phone. Once I get it, I begin the long trek back towards my bed, phone in hand. One hand goes up to cradle my head, while the other presses 'TALK'. I mutter into the receiver, my voice still rough from sleep and showing slightly more of my irritation than I meant to reveal,

"Hello?"
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 11:46:39 pm by Deep Waters »
[23:14:34] <GameMaster> And so (...) a one-armed dwarf and a mage wearing a blanket walk into a tomb.
[23:14:42] <GameMaster> Sadly, that isn't a joke.

[20:42:03] <HailFire> our wizard tower just got smoked by projectile cats from space

SingularByte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 12:49:07 am »

Taking a gulp of his coffee, Terrence groggily went through his mental checklist.
  • Morning meditation: Permenantly delayed by a long lie-in (one of the benefits of living right above where you work.)
  • Breakfast and coffee: All accounted for.
  • Dealing with ordered items:
He paused for a moment, remembering the hassle he'd gone to last week for one specific item, which had finally arrived this weekend.
After going into the backroom and tracking down the slip of paper with the customer's number, he proceeded to call - and reach an answer phone.
"Hello, Mr. Harte? It's the New Age Haven here; I've got the updated LaVey Satanic Bible that you and your friends were asking about. Feel free to collect it any time this week. Do try to be a bit more discreet this time than you were when ordering it though. We get enough arson threats already."

With that dealt with, it was time to continue with the checklist.
  • Moving new stock into the front room: Shouldn't take more than a couple minutes. It's not like most people wanted anything more than healing crystals (100% certified for safe psychic surgery!) or bottles of homeopathic medicine (also known as tap water).
  • Open the shop: Easy enough.
Well, time to get a move on. Those crystals don't move themselves.

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 01:08:27 pm »

Elizabeth sighed, closing the tome and depositing it on the pile of paperwork strewn across the coffee table in front of her as the cheap cellphone in her book bag merrily chirped away the alarm. She usually left for the shop at 9:00 by rote, since it took about half an hour to walk there; the alarm was set up to pull her out of her work if she got entrenched in something particularly fascinating. This time it was...

'Hmm.' She rubbed at her eyes for a moment, pursing her lips into a small frown as she stared listlessly at the shafts of light pouring in through the windows. What was she working on? And how long had she stayed up working on it? No matter how absorbed she'd get in something, she never just forgot stuff like this...

'Was I... daydreaming?' She shook her head, before taking a swill of her now-cold coffee, and dumping the book into her bag with a couple others and a sheaf of notes. 'Focus. These mysteries aren't going to solve themselves... I'll pick up where I left off at work.'

Rising with a stretch and a yawn, she took a moment to dump out the mug in the sink, before collecting her bag and staff from by the chair and heading out the door. She couldn't shake that feeling of strangeness as she stopped to lock the door behind her- she was sure she hadn't fallen asleep, but...

It was something she'd investigate later; she had things to do, and she was running late already. Hopefully, the walk over would finish waking her up.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 06:41:48 pm by HailFire »
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 01:10:52 pm »

Angel stepped down the stairs, smiling at the nice- for two runaways who started with ten dollars, a pack of smokes and a few pieces of beef jerky -apartment building they now lived in. It provided a nice contrast to the last place they lived; a tenement on the outskirts of town, where he was afraid to leave Mary alone for longer then five minutes, let alone six to twelve hours while he was out working.

He waved at the old man sitting on the bench, gave a nod to the haulers, and started down the street. He stopped at a Starbucks on a street corner and picked up a coffee, loaded with sugar and creamer.
He waited at the bus stop for a few moments, drinking the coffee, and wondering if he should have a smoke. Finally deciding to have one, he politely stepped away from the other people waiting for the bus and lit one up.
The bus arrived soon after he was finished and, as it should be, the rest of his commute was just as boring.

After the ride on the train, Angel walked the rest of the way while smoking another Marlboro. He headed into the Center, got dressed in his uniform, signed in, and to his delight was a few minutes early. He began working, following the schedule his manager- A woman in her thirties to early forties, with that whole strict but hot nurse vibe -gave to him.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 02:06:24 pm by filiusenox »

Simple

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 02:21:14 pm »

"Shit." To say that situation were not looking good was an grave understatement. It was as if the whole world conspired against him. Frank never felt so helpless before and Eddie's death, the book and whatever happened in that house was something that will only make things worse if given the chance. That was sort of problem that will grow and cast a permanent shadow on your life until you done something with it. That's why he needed to act ,do anything that will take his mind off the past.
While trying to find Eddie's murderer seemed like a easiest path to the  truth he knew it meant crossing his path with cops sooner or later and it was not prospect he liked. Who knows maybe they found his fingerprints on Eddie's body and who know's what the cops got on him.The book seemed more promising and safer lead for finding what exactly happened than that. And maybe, just maybe it's more valuable than it looks ?

"Yes yes, find some bookshop or antiquity store and find what it is, make small steps and then we'll see..." - Frank muttered to himself as he grabbed the book and headed for his bike.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 03:24:51 pm »

+-- Charlene "Charlie" Tanner (Deep Waters) --+
You pick up the phone and press TALK before muttering your greeting. There is a moment of silence, followed by a gentle hissing. Quiet at first, almost imperceptibly so, and then louder. The pressure in your head begins to build with it, your headache pounding. Just as you're about to pull the receiver away from your ear and hang up, it switches to a roaring static.
You can make out a voice somewhere, in that static. Someone is talking, but you're not sure what they're saying. And just like that, the line goes dead.

A moment later, you hear Aurel's voice. "Hey, Charlie! Just calling to make sure you got home alright last night, Annie called a few hours after you left but there wasn't any answer. Just figured you were sleeping. Probably still are, anyways, call me back when you get this message."
He hangs up with a click.

+-- Terrence Kennard (SingularByte) --+
The morning is uneventful, as is to be expected. As you're moving the healing crystals, sage incense, and plastic vials of tap water to the front room you take the Updated LaVey Satanic Bible from its box and leave it on one of the shelves in easy reach, in case Mr. Harte shows up, complete with the little pamphlets and advertisements ("HAND FORGED COLD IRON RITUAL DAGGERS BUY TWO GET HALF OFF") that came tucked into the front cover.

By the time you're done with all of that, it's nearly 10. You move to unlock the door and flip the sign around to OPEN, wondering where Liz could be, when you see a pale, nerdy girl with a massive walking stick hurrying down the street. Ah, there she is.

+-- Elizabeth "Liz" Karsten (Hailfire) --+
Just like that, you're out the door. It only occurs to you once you're already down on the street that the coffee you had was from the night before- you had been pulling an all-nighter. Maybe you had accidentally falling asleep? In any case, you skipped breakfast and you're stomachs begun to growl.

You reach the store in the nick of time, just as your boss, a scowling man in his early 30s who actually does need the cane he carries, unlocks the front door.

+-- Michael "Angel" Raguel (Filiusenox) --+
Your new superior, one Mizz Allen, explains your tasks in a southern drawl, not Dakotan by the sound of it, as she gives you a short tour through the building.

It's a rather standard affair. Five floors and a basement- which you aren't shown. The first floor is standard administration, as well as a cafe and restaurant, both of which are open to the public. The second and third floor are residential, though there's a small "theater" on the second floor and another restaurant on the third. The fourth floor is less an apartment, and more a standard Assisted Living home. As you're both approaching a set of doors leading into the West wing Miss Allen places a hand on your elbow. "Oh, hun, you're not allowed back there. That's the Total Care Unit. Special orders that no one's allowed in Ms. Patrick's Garden without clearance." (Ms. Patrick is the woman who hired you, and who apparently runs the building)
The Fifth floor is a series of suites for the wealthiest of the building's patrons, and you're informed you likely won't need to go up there often as there's a contingent of Orderlies specifically hired to acquiesce to such people's requests.

Once the tour is done, you find yourself on the second floor, performing menial cleaning tasks in the resident's rooms whilst they spend time in the communal living area.

+-- Frank Carver (Simple) --+
You throw on some clothes, grab your Motorcycle's keys and the book, and head towards the door out of your house. It's as you're pulling on your boots that there's a knock on the door. Hard and firm, three raps.

You slowly approach the door, peering through one of the windows. Two men, standard police attire, stand before the door. Neither of them seems to be carrying a warrant of any kind. The shorter one has his arms crossed and his back to the door, surveying the street. As you watch, the taller one begins to knock a second time.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 04:28:35 pm »

"So Miss Allen, how is someone like you not married? Actually I probably shouldn't ask you that, should I?"

Cleaning up...things, cleaning up things, cleaning u- Okay this is stupid.

Angel thought this job might be boring, and he was of course, right. He was cleaning up things he thought would be best if he didn't think too much about what they were...

Of course Angel had worse jobs...like that one time he was hired to clean out sewers, at least this time he wasn't tripping balls on the methane fumes and seeing screwed up things out of the corner of his eyes.

While he was reflecting on the worst jobs of his life, he continued working.

Deep Waters

• Bay Watcher
  • earth does break the things that we make
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 06:29:33 pm »

Unnerved, I stare at my phone, white-faced. Now it's messing with my phone service? What the hell does it want from me?

I'd barely heard Aural's voice come up after the strange electronic hissing, but I finally tuned in just in time to hear him ask me to call back. I briefly let myself wallow in the guilt and regret I felt about not telling my friends (which right now as much my family as my blood family; you tended to get really close to people you live with for a few years) what was going on with me right now, but I quickly comforted myself with the fact that I couldn't- they'd think I was going nuts. Probably try to get me to see the shrink, too. Well, I'd already tried that, and it hadn't helped at all. Not really surprising, when I think about it; psychiatrists dealt with what was wrong with your head, not what was wrong with reality. I need help, but not that kind of help.

I decided that I would call Aural back later, when my head wasn't pounding quite so much. And after I'd eaten something.

I move west and into the kitchen, heading towards fridge to grab a quick bite to eat. As I move past, I look down at the counter, seeing a pile of papers and other things that I didn't remember putting there. At the very top was a magazine with a title that was emblazoned with the title Paranormal.

I was fairly certainly that it wasn't healthy to turn pale as often as I was lately.

Slowly I reach out to touch the cover of the magazine. Could it...? It explained everything. The voice, the stalkers, and now that strange phone call... I picked up it up and flipped it open, skimming through the pages. The first page I stopped on was an article on UFOs, and I voraciously devoured the text. As I read it, I became less and less terrified and more and more amused.

This guy's nuts! I thought with a chuckle, shaking my head. Suddenly I had no idea why I'd ever even contemplated that something supernatural could be behind this. None of the things that had been happening lately couldn't be explained by something that was completely within the realms of reality. And this whole Paranormal mag belonged in one place and one place only.

I threw the magazine in the nearby trashcan (which was really just a trashbag) and continued on to the fridge.

Let's see... some bread, some milk... wait, what's the expiration date? I check. Two days. I think about that for a moment, trying to remember how far from the expiration date it was safe to eat a dairy product, but my aching head reminded me how much I wasn't fit for such an exhausting activity. Good enough. Okay, how about some eggs? Damn, empty. Why did I leave an empty egg carton here? Um... Bacon? There's a few pieces left, except... ew. Mold. Ah, I'll just cut out the furry bit. I think I ran out of cereal last week, cheese went moldy a few days ago... god, I really need to go shopping. I sigh, holding my head in my hand. This whole voice-in-my-head deal is really screwing with my schedule.

(insert cooking and eating breakfast scene here)

"Well, I guess it's time to call Aurel now." I mutter to myself. I stare at the phone, strangely reluctant to start dialing. My eyes started wandering toward the trashbag. Maybe- No. That stuff is garbage, and you know it.

I dialed in the number resolutely. While waiting for the call to connect, I idly glanced at the fridge, Note to self: pick up some groceries later. Make sure it's enough to last a few weeks.

As soon as the phone picked up, I started talking, "Aurel, hey! Sorry about leaving so abruptly last night, I really wasn't feeling all that great. Anyways, I'm feeling better now, aside from the whole hangover deal. What's up?"
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 06:58:11 pm by Deep Waters »
[23:14:34] <GameMaster> And so (...) a one-armed dwarf and a mage wearing a blanket walk into a tomb.
[23:14:42] <GameMaster> Sadly, that isn't a joke.

[20:42:03] <HailFire> our wizard tower just got smoked by projectile cats from space

SingularByte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 02:02:38 am »

"Well, well, what time do you call this? You're cutting it a bit close here."

She was normally a good worker, not to mention punctual so he decided it was probably best to let it slide this time.

"Well, come on in. I'll be working in the back room if you need me for anything."

He then started to hobble off to the storeroom, putting his keys back in his pocket as he went.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 02:13:01 am by SingularByte »

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 12:07:03 pm »

Liz leaned on her staff, panting slightly as she came to a stop in front of the store, just as Terrence opened it up.

"Sorry, sir..."

'He doesn't need to hear my excuses.' Waiting a moment for him to clear the door, she heads inside, depositing her bag behind the counter and propping her staff up against it, before plopping down into the chair, and opening up the bag to dig through it.

'As long as there aren't any customers, I should be able to get some work done on that book...

...I really hope I left some snacks in here...'
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7