Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 44

Author Topic: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming  (Read 154936 times)

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
Re: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming
« Reply #330 on: May 06, 2012, 02:22:38 pm »

Journal of Saint, Entry 6

Stumbled into a former trader today. Asked if he had any more prickleberries, but he just looked at me and laughed. He explained that he decided to live here now, along with a few others. I assumed it wasn't because of the food. Lard Roast is an acquired taste. Guess these guys will have to acquire it.

That girl Cain was doing full-reconstruction surgery on is back up and working, and I'm still perplexed as to how the doctor could be so skilled and still leave another patient dying on the ground before noticing him. Anyways, the girl is kind of creepy; she seems to be fine with being more scar tissue than dwarf now, so I have avoided both speaking to her and her in general.

I don't go up to the surface a lot (willingly, at least), but I've heard talk of some kind of giant snake monster up above. I'm curious as to whether or not its venom would be on par with my special brew; on a related note, I hope some miner or someone finds a forgotten beast soon. I seem to be one of the few (if not the only) dwarves who knows of what inhabits the underworld, but I intend to avoid letting that slip out. Monster dust and extract tends towards the spectacular in terms of its effects on dwarven physiology, rendering poisoning into an art form, but I have no intention of being the poor schmuck who angers Bi Gpantaloons the Scary Monster of Pain with my digging!
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 06, 2012, 02:27:50 pm »

Diary of me.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

by the way, do we plan on breaching the HFS and releasing the clowns?
and also who do i worship?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

CountAlex

• Bay Watcher
  • SpoonMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 06, 2012, 02:36:58 pm »

Oh, i'd like to claim Urist Ostarmedtob! And, if it doesn't bother you, please, can you show me his and his daughter's personality screens?
I have some idea about how to make this personage.
Adventures of brave Likot Udendeb in pictures
Urist McLegendary likes adamantine, steel, mugs and noobs for their questions. He absolutely detests trolls.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 06, 2012, 02:40:30 pm »

Leib, our characters seem to be polar opposites, this will be fun.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 06, 2012, 03:13:54 pm »

what are my guys stats now? and also whats my name? i forgot :'(.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #335 on: May 06, 2012, 03:19:27 pm »

I say, How is the work on my room comming along?

It was stuck for a while at Step 1:  Get Athra a pick.  Now that he finally has one, I'll start him on the digging.

by the way, do we plan on breaching the HFS and releasing the clowns?

If I do release the clowns, it's going to be because I'm sick of the fortress and want to end it.  We actually haven't even seen any of the adamantine spires so far.  There's a lot on the map, we just haven't dug near enough it yet.

[quote
and also who do i worship?
[/quote]

Domas Egullolok the Wallpotdwarf worships nobody.  That's actually kind of surprising, nearly all the dwarves have two or three gods they worship, but you have none.

Oh, i'd like to claim Urist Ostarmedtob! And, if it doesn't bother you, please, can you show me his and his daughter's personality screens?

Your profile:

Your skills:

Your daughter:

Did you still want to be called 'Count'?

what are my guys stats now? and also whats my name? i forgot :'(.

Here's everything on your dwarf:

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 06, 2012, 03:28:11 pm »

I had a soapy bath recently? YAY!

isn't it freaky how people you pick on the forums are like you? Domas and me are almost identical excepting somethings. like scorpions. and like i don't need sleep much. other than that... whats in my bedroom? other than that

I MUST START THE CULT OF POTS!
P.O.T.S.= Primary Other Transit Stop
Highly Opinionated Fool

CountAlex

• Bay Watcher
  • SpoonMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 06, 2012, 03:32:11 pm »

Great, thanks, and let name be "Count".
In some tastes similar to me-i like titanium and mead too :)
Urist McLegendary likes adamantine, steel, mugs and noobs for their questions. He absolutely detests trolls.

CountAlex

• Bay Watcher
  • SpoonMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 06, 2012, 04:26:33 pm »

This is elf leather bounded book. Its studded with steel bands. It's encrusted with cat's eye. On the front side is image of adult and child dwarfes in charcoal and emerald dye. Dwarfes are holding hands.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 05:44:04 pm by CountAlex »

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 06, 2012, 04:40:24 pm »

If there are any war giant badgers left, I'd like a couple of them. Also how much SOAP do we have?
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 06, 2012, 05:20:57 pm »

Did I have a mood yet?
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

CountAlex

• Bay Watcher
  • SpoonMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 06, 2012, 05:58:07 pm »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 06, 2012, 06:03:50 pm »

16th of Felsite, 56

This time, the elven diplomat did not arrive in secret.  The point had been made well enough with the first year, their agent proving to the dwarves that an assassin could get past all the defenses the dwarves could muster and strike at the center of their fortress.  Now Amayi Omumawada, Elven Ambassador came openly, with the full regal beaing and pride befitting the most noble and lofty of the races.  Giant lizards and thrips bowed in respect, and sparrows chirped overhead as he walked past.  Surely, the wretched mud-loving dwarves could not help but to be impressed by such a display.

The dwarven fortress was an ugly blight on the land, an uneven stone wall which blocked the view of the ocean.  Behind the wall Amayi could hear the trees, lamenting that their brothers had been murdered and that surely they were next.  Amayi made his way along the wall, to the garish entrance gate, flanked with carved statues of stunted dwarven bodies.  The paved floor was stained with dried blood of goblins and kobolds, and chipped where bolts had missed their targets.

At the entrance to the fortress, a pair of giant serpents had been cruelly chained in place. 

Was this a threat?  Did they think to frighten the elves?  If so, it was in vain.  Amayi spoke a word in the high speech, and the creatures instantly calmed down, letting him pass.

He strode deeper into the fortress, unafraid of anything the dwarves had in store.  Behind him, the elven caravan was just emerging from the forest.

24th of Felsite, 56

Deep underground Athra's secret project was finally starting.  It had taken ages for him to get a pick.  Over a year ago Cilob had promised him that he'd have one soon.  Daenyth had made a batch of picks, but it turned out that there were quite a few prospective miners waiting for picks, and Athra was far enough down on the list that he'd had to wait for the next batch.  Then Daenyth's leg had been smashed by an ettin, and it wasn't until Doctor Cain was finished stitching it back together that the next batch of picks had finally been finished.

Now Athra was deep in the mines beneath the fortress.  He had snuck a look at the survey charts of the caverns, and picked an obscure spot of rock, an area that had been ignored for having no useful minerals, and with no plans for official construction.  Now he hefted his new copper pick, and swung it at the rock face for the first time.

Diorite chips flew as he bashed the wall with the pick.  Sweat dripped down his brow, soaking into his beard.  This was harder than it looked.  The pick flew again and again, gradually widening the initial shallow hole into the start of a proper tunnel.

Meanwhile, back nearer the surface, Ral Mistemmeng was having a grand time reminiscing with her old friends.  Eight former traders - three of them retired Liaisons like her - had all arrived together!  They had spent hours drinking and exchanging gossip, Ral learning all about everything that had happened back home since she'd been there.  She barely noticed Cilob yelling at her, until he actually walked over and grabbed her shoulder.

"Ral!  The elves are here.  All the goods are at the depot.  You need to go trade with them now!"

"Phah, screw the elves.  They've got crap for trade anyway."

"Look - just trade with them and get it over with!  You can catch up with your friends later."

In the end, Cilob had to physically drag her away from the dining hall.

At the trading hall, a grumpy Ral met with the elves.  Not only had she been dragged away from a party, but on the way up Geb had given her some strict instructions on what she was and wasn't allowed to trade them.

As if she would ever let the elves have one of Geb's crossbows!  An as for the floodgates - why would the elves even want one?  Ral wasn't sure there even were any to trade in the fortress in the first place.

Ral looked over the meager goods the elves had brought.  "Where's the lumber?"

The head elf trader scowled.  "Lumber?  We have not brought any.  You dwarves have butchered enough of the trees of your land.  Their corpses lie in the mud, unused.  We will not bring any wood until you learn to respect it."

"Fine.  I see you brought us some of your weak elven booze, then?"  Ral indicated a stack of barrels the Elves had somehow convinced a donkey to carry.

"You'll find that a bit strong if you try to drink it.  It's Gnomeblight."

"That - what possibly possessed you to bring so much?  We're nowhere near the mountains, there's not a gnome for a hundred miles around here!  Did you at least bring cloth?"

"Of course, we have many bins of it.  What have you to trade in exchange?"

"Ah, one of our chefs has prepared a meal just for you."

One of the elves peered at the fatty blobs suspiciously.  "Smells strange.  What's in this?"

"Warthog bacon fried in wild boar fat.  It's really, really good, but you want to save it till you get back home."

While Ral haggled with the elves over fat-fried-fat (with special ingredients nobody but Saint Iridkonos knew anything about), Jacen the Soap crusader was hard at work in his soap factory.

Some dwarves might have thought that the fortress had enough soap.

Jacen knew better.  You could never have too much soap.  Tragically, he was almost out of lye.

And he knew the filthy non-soap-using elves hadn't brought any lye with them.  The terrible possibility of running out of soap threatened.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 06:39:05 pm by Sphalerite »
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 06, 2012, 06:04:56 pm »

If there are any war giant badgers left, I'd like a couple of them.

We only have one war honey badger so far, no giant badgers of any type have shown up.

Did I have a mood yet?

Not yet.  What's taking you?  We need some artifact armor.

Phones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 06, 2012, 06:21:03 pm »

Do we currently have a jail? If we don't I request one to be built with my room, office and dining room on the same floor.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 44