Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 44

Author Topic: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming  (Read 154951 times)

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming
« Reply #300 on: May 03, 2012, 08:55:55 pm »

Did I start out with hammerdwarf skill? Or have I not been making enough swords?

Daenyth started out as a hammerdwarf, but has been using a sword for some time now.  You just haven't gotten enough skill with the sword to change your job title yet.

I figured that's what was up. Thanks for checking :)

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 03, 2012, 09:23:12 pm »

There will be no giant sponges appearing.  Before starting I modded sponges out completely, on account of them being horribly broken and not handled at all correctly in DF.  Sorry.  Didn't want to see half the fortress killed while completely pointlessly trying to attack a sponge.

Oh well, thats probobly for the best... death by sponge would be a little melodramatic (although rather dwarfy).
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 04, 2012, 02:11:28 am »

I've been reading this all day and I'm posting now that im done reading to humbly request a dwarf, if there are any left to be had.
I'd prefer a male if possible, but whatever. I know all the military dwarves are taken, so i'd like a non-military non-"family" dwarf with all my useful labors turned on, but no hauling jobs. Also, none of the jobs where i'd come into contact with animal hair, as i'm allergic.
Just name him dex if you've got one.
If there's no adults left, I'd happily take the oldest male childohmygodicantbelieveijusttypedthat.

also, if migrants get turned back on and there's some room to start up extraneous military squads, I'd like to train unarmed in my sparetime in a loincloth, gloves, and boots. Maybe even a mask if one can be obtained somehow.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 04:33:10 am by Poindexterity »
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #303 on: May 04, 2012, 11:48:19 am »

I'd prefer a male if possible, but whatever. I know all the military dwarves are taken, so i'd like a non-military non-"family" dwarf with all my useful labors turned on, but no hauling jobs. Also, none of the jobs where i'd come into contact with animal hair, as i'm allergic.
Just name him dex if you've got one.

Our only available male adult dwarf who is not part of the 'family' is Zaneg Cerolkonos.  Currently working as a miner, mason, and glassmaker, as well as other odd jobs.  He is married to Deduk Kadolstakud, who is also not of the family, and has one daughter: Rigoth Tishaktobul.  Zaneg is average in size, with very long, neatly combed hair.  He doesn't handle stress well, is friendly, rarely happy, candid, and compassionate.  Want him?

I'm also considering turning immigration back on, since we could use a dozen or so more nameless, talentless haulers at this point, but I just know I'm going to end up getting 3-4 adults and like 20 more children if I do that.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 04, 2012, 01:23:11 pm »

Our only available male adult dwarf who is not part of the 'family' is Zaneg Cerolkonos.  Currently working as a miner, mason, and glassmaker, as well as other odd jobs.  He is married to Deduk Kadolstakud, who is also not of the family, and has one daughter: Rigoth Tishaktobul.  Zaneg is average in size, with very long, neatly combed hair.  He doesn't handle stress well, is friendly, rarely happy, candid, and compassionate.  Want him?
sounds JUST like me. I'd love him.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 04, 2012, 01:54:27 pm »

Cain, I sneaked a glimpse at this on a school computer.

Thanks alot! I got yelled at because of you.
lucky. my school says bay12 is a game site.

it might be but i dont know...

in responce to sponges i had a fort where the ONLY combat was a raven trying to eat a sponge. imagine, 50+ pages of a raven dropping a sponge.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 01:57:34 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 04, 2012, 03:55:21 pm »

Cain, I sneaked a glimpse at this on a school computer.

Thanks alot! I got yelled at because of you.
lucky. my school says bay12 is a game site.

it might be but i dont know...

in responce to sponges i had a fort where the ONLY combat was a raven trying to eat a sponge. imagine, 50+ pages of a raven dropping a sponge.

TROLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

-From School-
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 04, 2012, 10:49:13 pm »

7th of Opal, 55

From time to time, the gods grant special knowledge to chosen dwarves.  Sometimes, it's an inscribed slab with the secrets of necromancy.  Sometimes , it's a strange mood, that results in a gemstone bed, or cat bone floodgate, or similar object that baffles everyone who looks at it with the fundamental impossibility of its construction.  Sometimes it's a masterful weapon, like a adamantine sword or platinum hammer, or a useless one, like a blowdart or aluminum mace.

Sometimes, it's an artifact that seems useless when first examined, but which carries the seeds of completely anachronistic sciences and technologies.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cain had been thinking for weeks.  It had started with a series of experiments with some chunks of magnetite.  The steel production lines, just now starting in full strength as the magma smelters became operational, required large amounts of stone to be moved from the magnetite lodes just under the ocean to the magma workshop.  Cain had first noticed how some of the stones would persistently stick to iron and steel or to each other.  There was a pattern to how they stuck to each other, how the strength of attraction or repulsion changed with distance.  He had started sketching out diagrams of polished stones, jewel bearings, cloth and silk wrappings.

Geb's workshop had over the years become perhaps the finest precision machining shop in the world.  She had, in her attempts to recreate her first legendary crossbow, developed tools for carving bone, shell, wood, and other materials into precise rings and mechanical parts, for making bearings and springs out of feather and horn.  It had everything Cain would need to test his ideas.

When finished, he had a stone ring, with polished magnetite blocks set around the inner surface, secured in place with rhino leather and bone packing.  Small pieces of monazite - containing some really interesting rare earth elements that Cain had no knowledge of - were set around and between the magnetite blocks.  Fine jewel bearings of citrine allowed the entire arrangement to spin smoothly when set on a surface.  As a final artistic touch, images of the Queen and a dwarf killing a goblin chased around the outer surface as the ring spun.

It was an amazing thing, even though it didn't seem to do much.  Cain was sure that he was on the edge of some incredible discovery.  Something was still missing, he just didn't know what.

Cilob's Journal - Mid-winter

Everyone is very impressed with the Doctor's ring.  I suppose it's very pretty, but I'm not sure what relevance this had to medical care, or animal training.  Perhaps he's lacking in medical work, with no injuries lately.

The local goblins seem to be cowards.  Our caravan left recently.  The military went out to patrol the entire curtain wall.  Not a single goblin or kobold to be seen.

They did at least catch an interesting creature, although they had to hit it rather harder than I'd have liked while encouraging it into the cages.

I may have to euthanize this one.  I can't even tell for sure what gender it is.

17th of Obsidian, 55

"Goblins at the gate!"

The cage traps across the entrance path had finally caught something other than exotic giant animals.  (Most recent had been a flock of giant Wrens, which Cilob was happily training).  A goblin child-snatcher had made the terrible mistake of trying to sneak through the bushes on the side of the road, and was now examining CoraiUnki's fine workmanship from the inside of a wooden cage.  Knowing that goblin thieves rarely came alone, the military had been called out to patrol the entrance.

Phones Delerled, captain of the guard, stood just outside the entrance.  Beside him were Ceilan the Swordsdwarf, Militia Commander Fritz, and Domas Egullolok the Wallpotdwarf.  Standing slightly behind, the marksdwarf Ash and the militia captain Alath Athellogem kept them covered.

They didn't have long to wait.

The first goblin lasher announced his presence by stepping into a cage trap.  Fritz, Ceilan, Phones, and The Wallpotdwarf immediately charged forwards, various weapons eager to sink into soft goblin flesh.  Meanwhile, Ash and Alath opened fire, masterfully carved bone bolts somehow piercing the goblin's armor.

Having little natural courage or discipline, seeing their leader caught in a trap, and being outnumbered by crazed dwarves clad in fine steel armor, the remaining four goblins immediately fled.  This assault, like so many before it, had turned into a disaster.

One of them wasn't quite fast enough.  Commander Fritz caught up with the fleeing Lasher and smashed it to the ground with her hammer.  The goblin tried to crawl away, as Fritz smashed its limbs and organs, slowly and painfully crippling it.  Not until the creature passed out did she finally finish it off.

One of the other goblins flung itself into a cage trap, seeking short-term survival and an unknown future over an immediate bloody death.  The other two were luckier, managing to outrun the pursuing dwarves and flee into the woods.

Meanwhile, while the soldiers were valiantly fighting goblins, Graknorke the Champion had stumbled upon a different fight.  He had just picked up a fine leather shield (fresh from the leatherworker shop, on Geb's order) from a stockpile, only to find a strange clawed creature holding onto it.

It was an amazing thing, all claws and shell and long tail, but it was holding onto the shell tenaciously.  "Get off!  I need the shield to fight goblins!"

Finally, it let go, though not before being fatally injured.  He noted, poking the corpse with his boot, that its blood was white after all, not blue as some old tales had predicted it should be.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 04, 2012, 10:54:20 pm »

Can I have a pet goblin? I will torture feed it, give it suicidal thoughts love, and I will clean up its blood it's messes!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 10:58:41 pm by Corai »
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Triskelli

• Bay Watcher
  • A man of wealth and taste
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 05, 2012, 12:38:02 am »

Finally, it let go, though not before being fatally injured.  He noted, poking the corpse with his boot, that its blood was white after all, not blue as some old tales had predicted it should be.

Horseshoe crab blood totally IS blue, but looks more like blueberry milk than say neon blue.  Probably an oversight by Toady more than anything else.

It's actually EXTREMELY useful for medicinal purposes, since the blood begins to aggressively clot when it comes in contact with endotoxins.  The blood straight up disables many forms of bacteria, viruses, and fungi that would otherwise infect the crab.  The picture is a horseshoe crab being drained of a portion of its blood.  No crabs have ever been killed during the bleeding process, and they're back to full health within about a week. 

The blue color is because instead of iron, horseshoe crab blood uses copper as its base element.  (hemocyanin instead of hemoglobin).  However, in the absence of oxygen the blood DOES appear colorless...  Eh, I'll still chalk it up to creator oversight.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 05, 2012, 10:25:03 am »

sounds JUST like me. I'd love him.

Here you are.

Horseshoe crab blood totally IS blue, but looks more like blueberry milk than say neon blue.  Probably an oversight by Toady more than anything else.

Yep.  Toady just has horseshoe crabs using the default 'ichor' for blood, and didn't set any note to change the color.  Looking at the DF color chart, I think that Light Cyan (color 3:1) is probably a good match.

ETA:  In [CREATURE:HORSESHOE_CRAB], after the line:

Code: [Select]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:ICHOR:ICHOR_TEMPLATE]

add the lines:

Code: [Select]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL:PALE_BLUE]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:3:0:1]

« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 10:35:49 am by Sphalerite »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 05, 2012, 12:57:33 pm »

21st of Obsidian

The first wave of lashers had fallen quickly, fleeing back from the fortress entrance, with the guardian dwarves in pursuit.  Despite being armed with the most lethal weapon known to goblins, the group had been almost immediately routed.

Of course, the first group was always just a distraction.  While they led the well-armored frontline champions away from the entrance, a second group of goblins armed with spears, snuck around from the south, heading for the weakly-armored marksdwarves, and the completely unarmored haulers coming in behind them.

The goblins crept closer, using a group of giant thrips as cover.

Fritz Cattendoren Itredgelut, Militia Commander, Veteran of the Elven Wars, grey-haired and somehow more than twice as old as the world itself, had seen many tricks in her years of military service.  Using trained animals as cover, hiding their movements behind giant creatures, was an old elven trick.  Giant thrips weren't unusual in the forest here, but something about the movement of this group seemed off.

"Phones!  Daenyth!  With me!  Alath, cover us!"

The group of soldiers turned and headed south into the forest.

Fritz was the first to see them - a hammer-wielding goblin, and his four spear-carrying guards.  She immediately charged the leader, knowing that killing the leader of a group would scatter the rest.  A spear-goblin tried to block her path.

Beside her, Phones and Daenyth were taking on the other guards.  Phones expertly severed the head of one with a slash of his sword.

Fritz had finally cleared a path to the hammer-goblin leader.  They faced each other.  One might have expected that this would be an epic standoff, dwarven hammer versus goblin hammer, steel versus arsenical bronze.  It really wasn't.  Fritz didn't even give the goblin a chance to fight back.

Though she had never demonstrated the 'battle trance' state seen in some of the other soldiers, Fritz had developed a style of berserk, frenzied rage all her own.  Kicking, scratching, biting, and using her hammer to break bones and disable limbs, with horrifying rage and indiscriminate violence, Fritz pounded and tore the goblin till only a lifeless, mangled corpse remained.

The last spear-goblin guard, seeing his companions mercilessly slaughtered, finally showed a spark of self-preservation.  He turned and ran across the muddy ground, outpacing the steel-clad dwarves.

He might have made it, if not for Alath.  Carrying the masterwork crossbow made by her daughter, with its polarized gemstone optics, Alath sighted on the fleeing goblin and fired.

His silver armor somehow pierced by a bone bolt, the goblin gasped and staggered.  The pursuing soldiers easily caught up.

Cilob's Journal - end of year notes.

Well, the end of the year 55 has arrived.  I have transcribed the latest set of fortress records from Ral for posterity.

Not much has changed since last year.  Our population has leveled out, other than a few babies born, and I fear we are becoming understaffed for the work that needs to be done here.  It's funny, how you think you have too many dwarves to deal with, and then as industries are expanded you suddenly don't have enough people to get everything done.  We've plenty of children, of course, but they aren't much use till they grow up.

Geb has been declared a Countess now, word just came back from the Mountainhomes.  I have sent a note asking for more immigrants to be sent.  Our military has demonstrated themselves able to deal with the few pathetic goblins that have been thrown at us, so the General's concerns about security should be eased.

Tragically, one of my oldest friends just died of natural causes.

I'll miss her friendly chirping, the way she'd peck at my hand for food.  Her children are still with us, and the giant sparrow breeding program has proven itself a great success.  This spring I hope to begin breeding the giant wrens caught this year.  We have also caught a few interesting reptiles.

Cain has been eager to harvest their venom for his experiments.  I expect no difficulty in training them.  Though it may seem immodest of me, I think it entirely justified to say that I may be the most skilled animal trainer among any dwarves alive today.

This, I think, deserves some recognition.  Geb recently received some historical books on the rules and organization of dwarven civilization.  I borrowed one to look over, and found some interesting notes on some ceremonial positions and titles.  They aren't used much and carry no official standing, but were never removed from the books.  One in particular seems to apply to me.

"Dungeon Master" - the title given to the most skilled animal trainer in the land.  I think it fits.

Phenix has been busy again recently, designing some expansions to the fortress.  We'll need them if we can get more immigrants.  A new living area is being built for the military, where they'll train and live as a unit and develop camaraderie.  It's near the hospital and jail, and easily reachable from the fortress entrance.

Cain is having her expand his 'Alpha Labs' facility, digging out storage rooms for whatever he does down there.

The new magma smelters are operational, although there's a lot more work to be done down there.

There will also be a new living and storage area just above the smelters for the dwarves working there.

Finally, that strange Graknorke fellow who calls himself Champion persuaded Phenix to dig a passage to the caverns.  Phenix refused to just open a passage, insisting on installing a gate to seal it off first.  Completely uncalled-for if you ask me, there's nothing down there our soldiers can't handle.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 05, 2012, 02:45:58 pm »

13th of Granite, year 56

"This is a really bad idea.  Look at the size of that fortress!"

"But it's full of shinies.  Remember all the shinies on that wagon coming away from this place!"

Ariva Ana Aca had a problem all to familiar to Ettins.  Her two heads rarely agreed on anything.  Both heads loved shiny things, gems and jewelry, but they never agreed on how to get them.  When one though it was safe to attack, the other would disagree, and then on the next opportunity they would reverse roles, and never get anything done.  She had long history of aborted attacks, never actually managing to injure any opponent, though she had managed to steal items several times when her victims simply fled in terror while she argued.

Now she stood outside the curtain wall of the fortress of Brightwater.  Far away in the hills she first saw pack animals laden with jewels and cleverly carved bones.  Unable to agree to attack them, she had at least managed to follow their trail back to the source.

"We should try to climb over the wall!"

"That's stupid.  Look at that wall, nobody can climb that.  Let's try to sneak in through the gate."

Towering two-headed monsters aren't known for their ability to sneak, even when their heads aren't arguing constantly.  Ariva was spotted well before reaching the front gate.

Higginbottom III, on guard duty at the front gate, had never seen such a large and misshapen surface dweller.  At first he wondered if it might be an Elven trick - they had been told to be on the lookout for Elven spies or traders showing up at this time of year - but this creature was far too large and repulsive for even the Elves.  He charged across the ground at it, bellowing.  Daenyth, who had been just on the other side of the main gate, head the yell and ran after.

"Aah!  Little metal man!"  yelled one of Ariva's heads.

"Look out, he's got a thingy!"  cried the other.

Ariva stumbled around, trying to evade Higginbottom's attacks.  On the other side of her, Daenyth arrived.  A slash of Daenyth's sword left a shallow cut on her side.  She cried out, and then kicked Daenyth, a solid blow that sprawled Daenyth out cold.

"Get him!  Smush that little guy's head!"  called one of Ariva's heads to the other.  She reached down and grabbed Daenyth's head.

"Surface-dweller scum!  Don't turn your back on me!" screamed HigginBottom III.  He lashed Ariva's back with his scourge, flaying her skin.

Ariva dropped Daenyth and screamed.  "Run!  Go West!" one of the heads cried.  "No, South!" yelled the other.  Ariva lumbered off to the south-west, leaving a trail of blood.  Higginbottom III chased after her.

15th of Granite, year 56

Ariva was still fleeing, through the trees and bushes, trying to escape.  The creatures behind her refused to give up.  Higginbottom III, who by now had been joined by his loyal Giant War Pangolin, pursued her, following the easy-to-track trail of broken limbs and trampled mud she left.

"They're not giving up!  What do we do?" one head said, out of breath.

"Keep running!" her other head barked.

"No!  I'm going to fight him."

She turned and tried to swat Higginbottom III.  This only succeeded in giving the dwarf a chance to hit her with the flail again.

"Run!"

"North!"

"No, South!  They're coming from the north!"

She turned and ran to the north anyway.  As she passed Alath Athellogem, the Militia captain fired a few bolts at her, two of which struck her.  She kept running.

16th of Granite, year 56

Jacen the Soap Crusader ran through the forest.  The heads of the Ettin were visible over the trees.  It was coming back northward, in his direction.

Far underground, Daenyth had been moved to the hospital.  He struggled against the dwarf who brought him to bed.

"I can't rest yet.  That thing's still out there!  Just prop me up, I can still fight it."

"The other soldiers will take care of it, Daenyth.  You need to let Cain have a look at you."

17th of Granite, year 56

Ariva ran, trying to escape the two dwarves that chased her.  Suddenly through the trees ahead of her, another dwarf, this one with an axe and smelling strongly of soap.  She veered to the west.  A giant monster, with huge claws and covered in scaly plates, blocked her path.  She veered back south.

"This is all your fault!" one of her heads yelled to the other.

"My fault?  I wanted to climb the wall.  Sneaking in was your idea!"

She ran back south.  Higginbottom III pursued her every step of the way.  She curved back around, trying to lose him.  The ground sloped downwards to the east.  She scrambled down a shallow slope, then stopped.  The soap-smelling dwarf and the giant scaled monster had cut her off.

Higginbottom III saw his chance.  He charged across the hill, leaped into the air, and slammed into the Ettin from behind.  She staggered forwards, falling onto her hands and knees.  Higginbottom's loyal war pangolin reared up and raked at her flesh with its massive claws, while Jacen hacked at her legs.

Somehow, she managed to break free of the three of them, and staggered away across the ground.  Not even knowing what direction she was running, she just wanted to get away from them.

She was by this time badly hurt, though none of the wounds were by themselves fatal.

She staggered northwards.  Phones, Va'al, Simon McWhale, and Domas the Wallpotdwarf were just arriving, circling in to cut off her escape.

18th of Granite, year 56

Once again, Ariva found her path blocked by dwarves.

Simon McWhale took a solid swipe at her with his morningstar, bruising her further.

She turned and ran south-west, away from him.  As she did, she ran past Domas the Wallpotdwarf.  Domas fired a single bolt from his crossbow, which buried itself in her throat.

Blood spurting from the wound, she staggered across the ground, leaving a trail of ground heavily splattered with her blood.

A second bolt from Domas pierced her chest, penetrating a lung.  Ariva staggered, fell to her knees, then collapsed on the ground.

The soldiers gathered around her, ready to attack if she stirred, but it was not required.  Ariva Ana Aca was dead.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 05, 2012, 02:50:01 pm »

Can I get a Fisherdwarf?  Name him "Kelli", make sure he loves the ocean (and hopefully unrelated to the sprawling family tree).  More than happy to catch whatever monster of the deep you need.  "Even wrestled with a legendary carp by gum!  Had killed 7 dwarves already, but I jumped in after 'im and pulled it out by me beard.  I figger I can handle one o' these whales if I need ta."

Not looking good at the moment.  We have two unclaimed Fisherdwarves, but they're both female and members of the Family.  The only unclaimed dwarves who aren't part of the Family are a female mason and her daughter.  I have turned immigration back on, so there may be some new slots opening up soon.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 05, 2012, 03:06:39 pm »

I feel bad for the Ettin. Why you make it so pathetically sad?

And about my Goblin Friend.......
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 44