Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 44

Author Topic: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming  (Read 154833 times)

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming
« Reply #255 on: May 01, 2012, 04:44:33 pm »

Note to self, poison Cilob....

Jk jk! Im at school posting this. BUT SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 01, 2012, 04:57:34 pm »

Graknorke's Journal

That's right, this is officially a journal because I'm setting out on a journey! So, I've had a sudden resolve today, after seeing those traders! I know that the elves are bad and evil and hippies and all that other stuff that's said, but they came from the outside, with the smells and the strange seeds stuck to their clothes, it was all so fantastic. I've always wanted to go on adventures, it would be great to go around the world and see what there is to see. Unfortunately, the land around here has already been scouted out, I've already seen builders starting to spread our (wonderful, if I do say) architecture into the ocean. There is little untouched around here. The closest to foreign I've seen in a while were some berries that we bought from a caravan, I managed to grab a quick smell of them, and the smell of faraway lands and travel was almost overwhelming!

While the surface may be conquered, I know there are places that we haven't fully seen and explored. In the mountainhomes, they had already been cleared and repurposed to house and provide for the population, but I doubt that they are so barren over here. So much new life of plants and animals and probably other things. Of course I mean the caverns, they are to dwarves what the surface us to humans, the wild landscape for us to conquer. I sometimes go to the places nearest to where they're closed off, and it's like I can hear the voices of creatures infinitely old and wise, and always calling me and encouraging me. Truly this must be the true dwarvern spirit calling out to me to explore these caverns. I'll never get permission from the overseer to lead and expedition into there from the overseer, no way would the military be put at risk for something that he seems so desperate to avoid. Maybe if I tell the baroness and her new advisor about this though, I'm sure she'd be interested in the wealth this could generate. Maybe I'll drop in a note to one of them. I wish I could write sounds down journal, because I think I can hear the voices cheering.

Note: If this gets in the way of anything you have planned, I'll happily ret-con it out. It was mainly just there so Corai would have a reason to FTFO. I like mentally unstable Corai.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #257 on: May 01, 2012, 05:19:06 pm »

If you can, please dorf me into that female militia commander. Call her 'Fritz'.

Here you go.  Fritz the reclusive, emotionally and physically scarred murder machine who's more than twice as old as the world itself.  Note - your kills in 'Mellowglisten' were during one of the old wars against the elves back in pre-embark world history.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ellesttekkud it is! and Maxmurder is fine for a name!

I present Maxmurder the miner/mason.  You've been doing a lot of work for Phenix in construction and mining since you've been at the fortress.

If you feel that the military is too big, give me an assistant doctor instead who desires to conduct revolutionary studies such as the effect of alcohol on a surgeon's precision mid-surgery.

Our military is really as large as I'd like it to be at this moment, especially as it wasn't supposed to be the focus of the fortress.  I do think that Doctor Cain could use an assistant in the hospital and for his science experiments, so I present to you Nurse Phenos (who will be confused with Phones, of course).

Note: If this gets in the way of anything you have planned, I'll happily ret-con it out. It was mainly just there so Corai would have a reason to FTFO. I like mentally unstable Corai.

The caverns call out to be explored...  There are some resources down there needed for some of the upcoming Alpha Labs experiments anyway.

Should be able to do an actual update later tonight.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 01, 2012, 08:01:35 pm »

FTFO....Flip the f*** out?

I....am perfectly stable....Hehehehe....hehehhe...hahaha...HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHAHHAHAAAAAAA!
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 01, 2012, 08:16:49 pm »

Cilob's Journal - 25th of Sandstone

After consultation with Doctor Cain, I have developed training techniques which, along with a serum he has provided, developed methods for increasing the aggression of some of the animals we have found in this area.  The treatment also improves the focus of the animal, permitting it to be bonded with a chosen dwarf.  The process appears to be permanent although we will carefully monitor the subjects.

Several volunteers stepped forward to be assigned trial animals.  The animals chosen were among those which have shown significant promise for military use.

The volunteer dwarves will be asked to keep watch of their assigned animals for any sign of reversion to wild state.

CoraiUnki, on learning of the program, insisted on being involved.  I have to admit his choice of companion animal was a bit odd.

At least it can't cause much harm if it runs wild.

If these initial tests show promise, I will begin full-scale adoption of conversion of the Giant Sparrow population for military use.

13th of Timber

The watch-towers have sighted the the dwarven caravan approaching in the distance!  I do not, under any conditions, want a repeat of last year's debacle.  I have ordered out the military - all of them - to patrol the entire length of the curtain wall for goblins.

They assure me that they will make sure not a single goblin will reach the traders.

They're all eager for a good fight, after having nothing but wild animals to fight for the last half-year.  I assured them that the goblins will be here.  If they stick to their usual pattern, they'll try to break through while the traders are exposed.

On the surface, outside the fortress.

"See any goblins?"

"Nope."

"Kobolds?"

"Dead one on the road."

"Doesn't count, it's been there for years.  Wild animals?"

"Giant Tick, but the cage traps got it."

Our military reports that the goblins didn't even dare approach the fortress this year!  Bit of a shame, but at least the caravan is here safely.

The liaison headed straight to Geb's office.  I expect he'll want to see how our new Baroness has been holding up.

Geb meets with the Liaison from the mountainhomes...

The Liaison was new to the job, the previous liaison having refused to return after the previous year's goblin assault.  Catten Tumamsodel, a political appointee to the position, had done little hard work in her life, and it showed.

The office she was meeting in was remarkably opulent in comparison to the rest of the fortress.  Coming down from the outside, she had seen unfinished stone walls on the path in, a crowded crafting and trading wall still being mined out, and a rough stone staircase leading to the warren-like living quarters.  This room was obviously intended to impress, being masterfully engraved, and with some really spiffy statues in the corners.

She would have been a bit more impressed with the room if she hadn't caught a glimpse of something small and furry scurrying behind a recently-installed statue.

One of the local dwarves, an animal trainer with the unusual name of 'Weiss Ironcage' had produced a gaudily-decoraed statue of the late King Kivish.  Catten decided it was appropriate, as it would remind this Geb girl who she worked for.

"We'll be promoting you, of course.  You have done an adequate job of ruling this place, but we a dwarf of your position should be demanding more from the locals."

"In particular, we don't think you really get the spirit of production mandates.  Demanding that something be built, and then building it yourself, kind of defeats the idea.  Your crossbows are welcome, and we'll be taking a large load of them back with us, but in the future, you should really be asking for something that the population can do for you, to show their devotion to you, and to the Mountainhomes.  Why don't you try that for a change?"

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 01, 2012, 08:32:06 pm »

Heh, completely forgot someone was named phones. You can changes Phenos to Kylin if it helps avoid confusion. I don't wanna be a hassle.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 01, 2012, 08:36:35 pm »

Heh, completely forgot someone was named phones. You can changes Phenos to Kylin if it helps avoid confusion. I don't wanna be a hassle.

No, hes means like.

"Hi Phones."

"Im Pheones."

"....Oh."

"So, hi."

"Hi Phones!"

"Pheones."

"....."

"You just keep on learning, Corai...."

"OKAY!"

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 01, 2012, 09:19:55 pm »

An exerpt from Maxmurder's journal:

' Ah Brightwater! I think Ive truly come to call this place home. I was weary about leaving the mountianhome but I have grown to love it here: The crashing of the waves on the stone, the smell of the ocean, the chirping of the giant sparrows. And all the mining! The mountian back home was almost completly mined out, here there is endless stone to dig! I have really settled into the routine quite nicely and working with Phenix has been wonderful!

I hear that the fall caravan has arrived... hopefully they have some bumblebee mead! It would be so nice to get a taste of the mountianhome!'
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 09:35:12 pm by Maxmurder »
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 01, 2012, 09:42:47 pm »

Deep in the caverns, a project years in the making was had reached a key point.  An oddly-shaped chamber next to the top of a magma pipe had been excavated and constructed.  The few valuable stones within had been cleared out.  Now a dwarf of no particular note, a near-unknown in this fortress, had been asked to go down and perform a dangerous yet vital step in the project.

The magma-spitting creatures which dwell in the pipe do not attack him.  Perhaps they simply do not notice as the magma is siphoned off.  Perhaps he is lucky, or perhaps he tossed something into the magma to calm them beforehand, if one could believe such a preposterous thing.

In any case, the magma chamber beneath the smithing floor fills without incident.

Far, far above, Ral Mistemmeng the broker is trading for supplies.

"You brought us rocks?  I think we have plenty of rocks.  Look, there's still bauxite boulders on the floor over there."

"Look, don't complain to me.  We got a very important note last year telling us to bring these specific stones.  Order came from a Doctor Cain, marked urgent."

Ral shrugged.  "Ah, we better buy them then.  He'll know what else to do with them.  Now, we have the military supplies you requested."

"Top quality, made by our very own Baroness.  The General should be very pleased with these.  We'll also be making up for not sending any animal the last few years now.  I present to you breeding populations of not one but two Brightwater animals, trained by our very own Cilob and his assistants."

"With the attached notes on care, you should be able to breed these back at the Mountainhomes.  They're ugly, but damn tasty.  Our butcher Argel has worked out how to make something he calls 'Bacon' from them.  It's damn addictive."

The conversation is interrupted as Erush the clothier steps into the trade depot.  "Did they bring it?" he demands.

Ral nods.  "Yes, Erush.  Your cloth is all here."

"It's about time.  I've been using this inferior stuff from the humans and elves for way too long."

Erush departs.  Ral shakes her head, and continues,

"Sorry about that.  He's a bit annoying, but really does make quite good clothing.  Now, we were discussing food.  We've prepared some special meals for the Queen.  Here we have an exquisite Cuttlefish salad"

"And some deep-fried cuttlefish and warthog fritters."

"Our baroness was insistent that we export this dish.  Seemed to upset her for some reason.  I'm not sure why, I tried some and it was delicious."

"Finally, we have some Scorpion Eye Surprise.  It's really better than it sounds."

"Now, I assume you've brought the usual supplies, and the animals we've requested?  Cats for the guarding the food stockpiles, a few geese that Geb requested, and ... what in the world is that thing?"

The trader from the Mountainhomes smiled broadly.  "You aren't the only fortress who's been taming exotic animals.  This is from Boarrooms.  It's called a Tofurkey."

Inside the cage was a grotesque-looking creature.  It was shaped exactly like a common turkey, but was composed entirely of a pale, off-white, semi-gelatinous substance.  Feathers, beak, talons, skin, even the eyes were made of the same material.  Not breathing, not seeming to respond to its environment in any way, Ral would have thought it unliving, until it suddenly shifted position bonelessly, shuffling across its cage with a gurgle.

As she stared in horrified fascination, the trader continued to explain.

"Their cavern expedition came across a race of strange mushroom-people, deep underground.  I don't mean living with mushrooms or using them, they were actually made of mushroom tissue, like plump helmets shaped like dwarves.  Really freaky if you think about it.  Anyway, these plump helmet men, they kept flocks of these birds.  Well, not really birds - they're actually some kind of self-propelled, bird-shaped vegetable.  They called them 'tofurkeys', and their flesh is referred to as 'tofu'.  Anyway, they don't seem to need to eat, or breathe for that matter.  Don't bleed or feel pain.  No bones or feathers or cartilage or anything like that.  Barely need butchering, just slice them up and eat them raw, or cook them into something.  I figure if your cook can make something edible out of scorpion eyes, tofu should be no problem."

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 01, 2012, 09:50:56 pm »

I was actually laughing heartily at the scene with the tofurkey.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #265 on: May 01, 2012, 09:54:34 pm »

Just be careful to keep them away from necromancers, or you might end up with one of these on your hands...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 02, 2012, 05:33:58 am »

Journal of Saint, entry 5

Turns out the prickleberry leaf extract may be unnecessary after all. Caravan just showed up today, and brought with it chicken-monsters composed entirely of what appears to be lard. As tallow of all sorts is a major ingredient in my dishes, a breeding stock of these "tofurkeys" will be immensely useful.

personal note: What would happen if a Tofurkey was fed prickleberry leaf extract? Do they have a heart to stop, or is it just lard all the way through?

Floor seems to have warmed up in some of the smithing areas. Normally, I would be worried about this development, but it actually feels quite pleasant on my bare feet (socks are great for cooking to, particulary pig tail fibers; better than prunes for digestion!) and seems to be remaining constant, so I will merely avoid the area until proven safe.

ooc: Tofurkeys? Wha? do they have organs at least, or are they some kind of horrible, mobile, lardlike Giant Sponges?
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 02, 2012, 07:26:18 am »

ooc: Tofurkeys? Wha? do they have organs at least, or are they some kind of horrible, mobile, lardlike Giant Sponges?

Tehsapper

• Bay Watcher
  • Why, MrMayor? Whatever do you mean by "slade bed"?
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 02, 2012, 07:38:08 am »

Are there any free non-important military male dwarves yet? If yes, name one 'Tehsapper' and set his profession 'Monkdwarf'. Then remove all weapons (maybe except shields) from his inventory and hand him a good quality robe. If there are multiple chooses, choose the most reserved and calm one.

Try to train his striking, kicking and biting skills to legendary by using arena with lots of unarmored goblins.

I just want to see how well it will go.

Also your story is masterpiece, and I enjoy reading this so far, good job.

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 02, 2012, 08:03:01 am »

I've been given a reminder that although I hold the highest rank in all of Brightwater, I'm still quite low in the grand system of the nobility. There's a giant sprawling system of codes of honour, privileges, responsibilities, unwritten rules, and personal bonds that I have no clue about. I'm just one dwarf, put in charge of one settlement.

Still, one thing is obvious. When you get a hint from the elite of the mountainhomes, treat it seriously, treat it almost as an order. They're telling me that I should use more of my authority.

This outpost was built for research, and everything we do revolves around that, but I can't mandate that research be done. It's already happening. No, the nobility is there to please the traditionalists, and so I have mandated traditional craftsdwarfship - military equipment. Everybody likes to see good metalwork. The militia likes to know they've got the best equipment available. It should keep everybody happy.

On another note, Erush has disappeared again now that his cloth shipment has arrived. It's good to know he's happy doing the work he loves, but it is very difficult to find time to see him when he's in his workshop sewing trousers all day. At least when he was moping about with no work to do, it was possible to talk to him.

Oh well, nevermind. We're both craftsdwarves. We couldn't be any other way.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 44