Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 44

Author Topic: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming  (Read 154796 times)

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming
« Reply #105 on: April 14, 2012, 04:48:49 pm »

Two caverns breached?

TWO CAVERNS BREACHED?

Quick, someone assassinate, Cilob he has gone insane! And niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice..............................
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #106 on: April 14, 2012, 04:52:36 pm »

Two caverns breached?

Technically all three, since that deep pit connects the second and third cavern layers.  Haven't breached magma or found adamantine yet.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 14, 2012, 04:54:08 pm »

Two caverns breached?

Technically all three, since that deep pit connects the second and third cavern layers.  Haven't breached magma or found adamantine yet.

CoraiUnki calls the first adamanite earring if someone is stupid enough to make one.
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 14, 2012, 05:01:13 pm »

Geb Mozibducim - On Break

So I made a lot of notes. After that, I made a lot of crossbows. Then more notes, then more crossbows. I've tested all the ideas I had, and some of them worked.

Now... I've just got to stop for while. You can't think properly in the workshop, with all the tools around you. A dwarf sometimes has to go on break.

You never know where an idea might come from, whether it's admiring the way that a three metre tall giraffe fits into a one metre high cage, or battle stories about the goblins, or listening to Corai plot assassination...

Er... actually, wait, what was that?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 14, 2012, 05:02:58 pm »

Oh my, did I say that? SORRY CILOB!

Cilob is on the other side of the fort, on the surface.

One second im gonna get something to make me louder.

EVERYONE RUN FOR YOUR LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVES!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 14, 2012, 07:17:15 pm »

Outside the fortress, atop the walls adjacent the ramp-entrance

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Hey Cilob!  What the heck are you doing up there?  How did you even get up there?"

"Just training one of my giant sparrows.  She was getting a little nippy.  I tried to grab her, she tried to run away and next thing I know, I'm up on this wall.  No problem, except Phenix forgot to put in any way to get down!  I'll have to yell at her about that later."

"How the heck are you going to get down from there?  We going to have to build you a ramp?"

"Nah, once I've had a talk with the bird here, I'll just have her carry me down.  But a ramp's a good idea.  Terrible oversight not to have one in the first place."

Cilob's Journal

We had a bit of a criminal mystery at the fortress lately.  A series of small thefts of materials.  Very strange, nothing terribly valuable.  Geb stepped away from her workshop to go on break.  When she returned, a pile of giant sparrow bones she had been working with were gone.  Then some blue jade vanished from Rachel's stockpile, and the steel production line ran two bars under quota when some pig iron went missing.  I was just about to ask our sheriff to start an investigation, when Fishybang found a mason passed out in the workshop, along with a remarkable piece of furniture.

The mason had no memory of stealing the materials, or constructing the coffer.  I'll have the sheriff conduct an investigation anyway, but I don't expect much to come of it.

Strange.  This item has two images on it of that amulet on it, which means it has two images of Corai on it.  Why do so many of these strange, inspired art objects feature Corai?

8th of Sandstone

Finally, the day I knew would come has arrived!

The deep mining expedition is a success!  And not a moment too soon, our production lines are crippled for lack of fuel.

There are some who said I was being reckless by mining so deep, so quickly.  Nonsense!  No reward without a little risk.  Besides which, it's not like the depths are much more dangerous than the surface.  I think I may move my office and quarters down there once we have some space dug out.

The Caravan has arrived, the moment I most dread of the entire year.  In the middle of a terrible rainstorm, too - some of the pools outside even partially refilled.

The rain also washed most of the goblin blood off the entrance, which should make Phenix happy.  I sent the soldiers out to keep guard, not that any goblins dared to approach.

I won't be sending any more animals to the General this year.  The only big success we had with tamed animals lately were the giant sparrows, and those were such a success that I've decided to keep them for myself.  Fortunately, Geb has made up for that, creating an entire weapon export business by herself, with all the bone crossbows she's made lately.

Rachel has also produced some lovely export crafts.

And Will_Tuna, of course, is making sure he Mountainhomes are getting a taste of Brightwater.

Strange thing, though the traders were their usual selves, the Liaison went straight to meet our new Mayor, not even wanting to speak to the broker, or myself, or anyone else.  I really don't trust the new mayor.  She's part of the vast family, related to General Reg.  I need to keep an eye on her.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 14, 2012, 07:45:18 pm »

A meeting in the mayor's office...

It's a marginal room - barely meeting the requirements of the office.

Nearly all of the engravings on the floor are of local events - the fortress being founded, various dwarves arriving and taking up positions in the local government, and some of the local heroes striking down kobolds.  The one exception, directly behind the mayor's desk, is of a distinctly more disturbing subject.

The mayor, a dwarf of only thirteen years old, barely old enough to qualify for the position, doesn't even sit on the oversize chair, instead pacing back and forth.  The liaison stands stares stonily at her.

"Dead.  You're telling me the youngest daughter of the King is dead, from a goblin ambush that the fortress military easily defeated?"

"Uh, yes, we're all really broken up about it.  It was a terrible ambush, she was only out for a moment reloading a cage trap, you see, we don't really know what happened..."

"And this same military woman, who killed the entire ambush, also single-handedly killed one of the Great Terrors, the minotaur who has been terrorizing the mountainhomes since the dawn of time?"

"Not quite single-handedly, our sheriff helped, she has this amazing crossbow her daughter made"

"Yes, and now seems unable to make anything of similar quality again.  I've seen the crossbows you're exporting.  Decent quality, but nothing like the one you're keeping for yourself."  Her eyes narrowed.  "Assuming that it is one of a kind, that is.  You're sure that your military isn't simply hoarding all the better examples?"

"We would never - Cilob's a loyal dwarf, he would never turn against the Mountainhomes".

"Yes, Cilob."  The Liaison's eyes went to an engraving on the floor.

"Tell me, why does he still command any authority here?  You, as Mayor, should have taken over all his duties and responsibilities."

"Uh, I dunno.  Just used to him telling everyone what to do.  The Queen put him in position for the animal training and fishing, the research and stuff.  The mayor and broker and stuff, we're just taking care of normal administration so he doesn't have to."

"Of course."  The liaison sighed.  "Do you know what I was sent to do this year?  I have here orders to make Udil Inethtilesh the official Baroness of this place.  She would have taken over all responsibilities, including those Cilob still holds.  But now I arrive here and find her to be conveniently dead.  I'll have to take that news back to the General - and you can imagine how she'll react.  We'll have to find a new candidate - someone from the royal lineage, of course - but I won't be able to bring that news back till next year."

"Until then, keep a close eye on Cilob.  He may be planning something - I know you think he's a good and loyal dwarf, but he's not one of the family, and there have been some suspicious actions about him lately.  You know, the creatures he sent back last year were nearly completely wild.  Rumor has it one of them attacked the General.  She's fine, of course, she's been taming the wild monsters of the depths longer than you've been alive, but it could well have been an attempt by Cilob on her life.  Be careful around him."

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 14, 2012, 08:01:18 pm »

Diary of CoraiUnki, entry four

Hi diary! Sorry I havent been writing lately, I been busy doing lots of stuff! And its not that fun either, a bunch of sad stuff happened. Well, lets start with the elves!

So, these elves ccome to trade, and guess what? Some goblins wanted to come too I guess, and the elves and goblins started to fight, the two guards held the line while the caravan got behind the walls but im not sure that there okay, they didnt let our doctors take care of them. They left already, but I dont think they could still be alive.

Then a minotaur attacked, aside from spiders these things are the worst thing ever. And even worse, it killed someone! Colib keeps yelling at me to get lost whenever I ask who it was, I think it was Udil something. I think she was royalty.

When the liason came, I asked if he knew any royalty by the name Udil, and said she was to be the baroness, I wanted to tell them she was dead, but he just slapped me and told me to "get lost you kobold-loving peasent", I dont think he likes me that much.....Plus something much worse happened, the caverns have been breached. Oh Armok.......I dont know what Cilob is thinking, beasts in the caverns are dangerous, and if the legend of Adamanite is true.....oh I just hope it is not real.......I need some strawberry wine.

On the back of the page is a picture of demons, Corai and Cilob, the demons are attacking, Corai is fleeing, Cilob is fighting.

---

I decided to give Corai a more eery feeling. You like?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 14, 2012, 08:12:16 pm »

It works just fine.  I have plans for Corai that this fits with.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 14, 2012, 08:14:15 pm »

PS: Cilob also has "plans" for me, Im gonna turn his room into a bomb soon./joke, ignorethis.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 15, 2012, 01:51:37 am »

Hey, \Sphalerite, Cilob escaped and replaced himself with some newb. HERES PROOF!

See, Cilob escaped the thread and came into my game.

Just felt like letting you see that.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 15, 2012, 12:48:43 pm »

Cilob's Journal, start of the year 54

In all the fuss and bother of the visit of the traders and the liaison from the mountainhomes, I never did an end-of-year address.  It completely passed my mind, until when I was burying the body of another dead giant thrips - they always seem to die around the start of the year - I realized another year had passed.  Well, it's a good time for me to note down for myself how we're doing.

The fortress population is about the same as last year.  The Mountainhomes made good on their threat to withhold further immigrants for now, not that we need them, but we did have a few babies born locally this year.

Our bookkeeper tells me that our locally created wealth this year alone is over three times that created in all the previous years of this fortress.  There's a good variety of goods there - gems by Rachel, bone crossbows by Geb, clothing by Erush, foodstuffs by Will_Tuna, and of course Phenix is continuing to improve our architecture.  I had to yell at her about the lack of ramps onto the walls flanking the main roadway, after I was briefly stuck up there.

I notice that she and our Doctor Cain have been quite close lately.  I really wouldn't have expected those two to become a couple, but such things can happen.  I do have to say that the Doctor has been doing a remarkable job of keeping our soldiers patched up and fighting well for the goblin and minotaur attacks this past year.

Our military commander is quite the terror on the battlefield, though she has an impressive collection of scars now.

And our Sheriff, Alath, has been backing her up - not exactly fighting along side her, but standing some distance back and picking off enemies with that amazing crossbow her daughter made.

Geb hasn't quite managed to equal that crossbow since, but she's been getting closer.  She's become close with our clothier Erush.  Not terribly surprising, since their workshops are so close together, and they seem to think and act alike in may ways.  Both aspiring to be genius artists at their crafts, that sort of thing.

Erush, well, I never really took to him.  Bit of an arrogant sort.  Best clothier in the fortress, he'll proudly tell anyone, not that that's an accomplishment since he's also the only clothier we have.  But, the fortress needs clothes.  Can't have people going naked these days.

Rachel works down in the crafting area with them.  She's still producing shiny rocks for us to sell to the elves and human traders that come by.

And I have been quite happy to spend my time taming these darling giant sparrows, along with the other animals we've caught locally.

Our former liaison from the mountainhomes, Ral, has been a great help to me, taking over the record-keeping and job management tasks to permit me to focus on animal training full-time.

She seems to have made friends with a child who goes by the name of 'Athra'.  At least, they've been spending some time together, and Ral seems less annoyed with Athra than with the other children.

Can't forget Argel.  She's been butchering the few giant creatures that we have to shoot instead of catching and taming, as well as the surplus kitten population.

And Will_Tuna is becoming quite the chef, cooking all manner of meals.  We export some of them, but the best are reserved for our own dining hall.

Speaking of which, I noticed there were no syrup candies in storage this year.  When I asked Will_Tuna, she said that the entire crop had failed.  They're going to have to rebuild their seed stock from scratch to get the sweet pod farms working again.  Very strange, I've never head of this happening before.

Finally, our friendly couple CoraiUnki and Fishybang are still together.  Corai has been splitting his time between gathering plants and cutting down trees on the surface, and carving bins, barrels, and beds out of wood in his workshop.

And Fishybang has embarked on a fortress-wide beautification project, with smooth stones and decorative engravings everywhere.

I have sketched a few architectural drawings here, showing some of the fortress's main features.

Our food production hall is one of the oldest areas of the fortress.  This was once where everything was stored, and all of the workshops and dining area were there.  Most of that has since been moved elsewhere, and only food-related industries are left here.

Cain's offices, and the hospital, are right next to my animal training and breeding facilities.  We have also started working on a jail and expanded goblin holding facility.

The crafting hall and trade depot.  Currently undergoing renovation and expansion.

There's the living quarters Phenix designed.  I still get lost trying to find my way around there sometimes.

The grand dining hall.  We're working on expanding the storage rooms to the west.

Far in the depths, we have begin digging out what will become the magma smithing facility.

And finally, while taking the staircase back from the magma smithy, I noticed a strange construction in the pit.  Phenix tells me that Cain had asked it to be built, part of some experiment or other.

It's probably better not to ask.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 15, 2012, 03:47:51 pm »

Diary of CoraiUnki, Entry Five

Damnit Cilob, I question your sanity. I'm saying this now, if he strikes a single piece of adamanite from a pillar then I will personally smash his head in with one of my +Oak Bins+, I am not going to let this fortress fall to demons.

This is a picture of adamanite and demons, the demons are striking the adamanite.

In better news, however diary, me and Fishybang are still very good friends, and Cain had some strange building carved out, it has alot of cute goblins in it! I tried to give them a egg to snack on but they just starting trying to hug me, with there hands. Silly goblins. A artifact was made too, and it had pictures of me on it. Weird, everyone seems to be carving pictures of me for some reason. Geb is still trying to re-create her crossbow, and I forgot to tell you something before, I made a cage! I couldnt find a kobold to put in it though. For some reason everyone calls me a "Legendary Carpenter" now, all I did was make a cage.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 03:58:10 pm by Corai »

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 15, 2012, 04:21:23 pm »

What? No! I'm not going to tell you about me and Erush. There's nothing that the fort needs to know about.

The coat? Well yes, he made the coat for me. Where else was I supposed to get a new coat from? Everybody wears clothing made by Erush now. There's nothing more to that.

Stop that! Change the subject please.

Oh, yes, Cilob's map. I did see that.

It was quite interesting really. You'd think that it would be pointless to put up a hand drawn map of a fort we all live in. I mean, we walk these corridors every day, so we ought to know what it all looks like. But then I honestly hadn't noticed how much of a jungle the kitchen is until I saw all those carefully drawn fungus patches on the map. Amazing how changes like that can creep up on you! And who would have guessed that all that stuff was going on in the deep mines? I bet there are some really cute creatures in those caverns!

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 15, 2012, 04:24:43 pm »

What? No! I'm not going to tell you about me and Erush. There's nothing that the fort needs to know about.

The coat? Well yes, he made the coat for me. Where else was I supposed to get a new coat from? Everybody wears clothing made by Erush now. There's nothing more to that.

Stop that! Change the subject please.

Oh, yes, Cilob's map. I did see that.

It was quite interesting really. You'd think that it would be pointless to put up a hand drawn map of a fort we all live in. I mean, we walk these corridors every day, so we ought to know what it all looks like. But then I honestly hadn't noticed how much of a jungle the kitchen is until I saw all those carefully drawn fungus patches on the map. Amazing how changes like that can creep up on you! And who would have guessed that all that stuff was going on in the deep mines? I bet there are some really cute creatures in those caverns!

I love those adorable things too, but have you ever heard of Adamanite? I overheard Cilob muttering on about how "Risk is profit" or something like that. I'm worrying for his sanity. The things that stone does to a dwarf's mind is awful.

......Erush is nice, aint he?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 44