Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 44

Author Topic: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming  (Read 154803 times)

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2012, 11:57:31 pm »

I feel simply awful for our kids if we have two. A sane one, and a Corai.

It would be like octomom, but so...so much worse.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2012, 12:12:19 am »

If she were a lasher, I'd suggest renaming her Wanda von Dwarfajew, but she ain't, so...meh.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2012, 03:57:55 am »

In a moment of idleness, Geb enters the dining hall.

"Good afternoon, Miss Thrips!"

*chirrup*

She leans in a bit closer.   "Do you want to hear a secret?"

*thorax wriggle*   *chirrup*

"It's something you only know if you're in a bowyering family. It's how you make a spring out of bone. Making a spring from wood is easy, you just have to keep bending it a little, hold it there, bend some more... if you do it right the wood gets used to being bent and won't snap. Bone is different though..."

As she leans in closer still and begins to whisper, the thrip leaps forwards, lunging at her.

"Gah! Bad thrip! You'll never be a bowyer with an attitude like that."

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2012, 09:44:24 am »

Ok. I need to be dwarfed in this. Is the Sun of the two migrants claimed? If not, Athra shall be his new name. If that is ok with you, that is.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2012, 10:04:26 am »

Ok. I need to be dwarfed in this. Is the Sun of the two migrants claimed? If not, Athra shall be his new name. If that is ok with you, that is.

Kib Udibenor, only son of immigrant couple Cog Agasob and Rovod Berdanurist, has not been claimed.  He shall now be known as Athra.  (I assume that's the son you were referring to?)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2012, 10:19:04 am »

Yes. Yes he is. Thank you kindly.
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2012, 12:46:27 pm »

Cilob's Journal, 28th of Obsidian

Yet another goblin thief tried to sneak in today.  This one was spotted at the top of the entrance ramp.  Our Sherrif managed to get off a few bolts at it before it ran into a cage trap.  We'll have it brought down to the animal storage room and stripped of armor and weapons while we decide what to do with it.

In light of the goblin and kobold incursions, I have decided to tighten up security at the main entrance.  Phenix is still working on the curtain wall, but she tells me that might take another year to complete.  Until then, I've ordered some additional walls built to restrict the entrance to the underground part of the fortress, and had some additional cage traps placed.

In more sad news, 'Miss Thrips' was found dead by the kennels.

She appears to have died of natural causes.  Even giant insects have short lifespans it seems.

12th of Granite

The hospital wing and animal research center is under construction.  Phenix has finished digging out the rooms, and furnishings are being installed.

The preliminary hospital will have six private treatment rooms, aquifer-fed wells for cleaning and drinking, plenty of storage space, and offices and living quarters for the medical staff.  I have also had the kennels and animal training facilities moved to a back area behind the hospital, along with my own quarters, as Doctor Cain has expressed some interest in animal training.

1st of Felsite

Today I emerged to find a crowd of dwarves marching into my fortress.  So ... many ... children.

I hadn't realized that being open for immigrants would mean that half the mountainhomes would move here.

Fifteen adults and thirteen children, unless I've missed a few.  And nearly all of them are related!  Only three of the adults have no family connection to the previous immigrants.

There's an armorer of some skill.  That will be welcome, our military commander made armor for herself, but it would be a bit much to ask her to armor the entire military.

The second one calls himself a Ranger.  Seems he has some skills with a crossbow, but no actual military experience.

And for the third, I was astonished to see a familiar face.

"Ral?  Ral Portallash?  You just left a few months ago!  I didn't expect to see you back till the end of the year."

"Ha, well, once I saw how nice this place was coming along, I decided to move here permanently.  Turned in my report to the Queen, then resigned my position as Liaison and joined the next group heading out.  They were glad to have someone who knew the way."

She glanced back and forth at the moment, then leaned in closer.

"Between you and me, the General's planning something.  Nearly this entire group is related to her.  Be careful around this family."

"Wonderful.  Say, now that you're here, do you mind taking over some of the bookkeeping for me?  I have a lot to do and not enough time to do it."

Looking over the rest of the immigrants, I'm starting to see a pattern.  One of the older dwarves to arrive is a daughter of General Reg and the former King Kivish MasteredCeilings.

Strangely, her voice is quite clear despite her injury.

Her sister, the only other child of Reg and Kivish, is also here, along with her husband and some of their children

Other than that, I see four married couples, with eleven more children between them, and then two more unmarried dwarves.  They're all related.  None of them have any notable skills.  I need to go sit down in my new office and work out the family tree.  It's going to take a while.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 03:08:42 pm by Sphalerite »
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2012, 02:16:23 pm »

I have a idea for the kiddies.

Make a 3z level drop and fill it with stray dogs, 1 tile. Drop all kids in it and about 20 dogs/puppies. By the time they grow up they will ATLEAST be a competent fighter, striker, dodger, and wrestler with "doesnt really care about anything anymore." because his friends, his fellow children, will likely die of dog, infection, or insanity.

Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2012, 02:33:12 pm »

"Cilob?"

Fishybang knocked on the door to the new office.  Behind her, a giant thrips stirred, then settled back down next to the new kennels.  No answer came from inside the office, but she could hear scratching and muttering.  She pushed the door open.

Inside, Cilob was studying a wall hafd-covered in boxes and lines, tiny notations and arrows scattered among them.  "So Domas married to Udil, but Udil is also Domas's aunt through Mosus Mosusid... Ah, come in Fishy.  Here to smooth the walls?  Leave this one as is, I'd hate to lose these notes."

"Are those the new immigrants?"

"Most of them.  I think I've just about worked out the genealogy."  He gestured to the top of the wall.  "See, we start off with four ancestral couples, including the King and our General Reg.  Those couples had many children, and then many of those children married each other, and some who didn't marry each other married the children of those that did.  So the family tree, it's all a tangled mess.  Nearly all of these immigrants are related to each other, and nearly all of them are related to the old king, some more directly than others. Funny thing is, I can't find any links to the current Queen from anyone here now."

"Ah, speaking of the immigrants, they need orders."

"Right.  I have the specifics here.  There's a few that will be going into the military, but anyone without useful jobs is going to be assigned to Phenix as a trainee mason.  We need to get that perimeter wall up as soon as possible."

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2012, 03:31:09 pm »

Make a 3z level drop and fill it with stray dogs, 1 tile. Drop all kids in it and about 20 dogs/puppies. By the time they grow up they will ATLEAST be a competent fighter, striker, dodger, and wrestler with "doesnt really care about anything anymore." because his friends, his fellow children, will likely die of dog, infection, or insanity.

I am opposed to this because I will be included in that group. Why not a small nursery with three table/chairs a food stack pile and . . . . . cloths. i found out kids dont like not having access to cloths.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2012, 03:32:42 pm »

I am opposed to this because I will be included in that group. Why not a small nursery with three table/chairs a food stack pile and . . . . . cloths. i found out kids dont like not having access to cloths.

Dont you want to be a unholy monster of mass destruction? Even demons would wet themselves at the sight of you. Let alone a snatcher. Your version is so elf.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2012, 03:55:06 pm »

Cilob's Journal

Today I found an anonymous note on my desk, containing a quite disturbing suggestion for what to do with the many children of our immigrants.  I am shocked that any of our citizens would be so depraved as to suggest such a thing.  This is a civilized settlement, we don't practice that type of training.  Besides which, we don't even have any dogs.

I have learned a few things about giant thrips.  Specifically, I've learned that they are unlikely to be useful as a weapon for the General.  They simply don't live long enough, and attempts to breed them in captivity have failed.  Once they have been captured and trained, they don't have much lifespan left.

We'll have to capture some other creatures.

"Hey Mosus, what are you doing there?"

"Trying to catch fish, what's it look like?"

"That's a well, dug in an aquifer.  Shouldn't you be fishing outside, in the ocean?"

"Nah, it's too bright and hot out there.  It's safer fishing here."

At that moment, Urist Kadolfeb, immigrant Ranger, burst into the main hall.  "Elves!  Elves are coming!  Over the north rise, I saw them while I was out looking for animals."

"Grab your hammers!  Soldiers to the surface!  I don't know how they found us, but they won't take this fortress!"

The military of Brightwater, such as it was, gathered on the dry grass north of the trade depot.

The elves, four in total, along with two heavily laden animals, walked across the surface, making no effort to hide themselves.

The soldiers looked to the military commander, veteran of the wars against the elves.  She shook her head sadly.

"Look at those banners.  That's not the Mythical Net-Horn or the Entangled Shores.  This is a completely different elven nation.  They're probably here to trade or something."

"Can't we kill them anyway?"

"Cilob was clear on that, we have to be friendly towards the new nations in this land.  Keep an eye on them, but unless they do anything hostile, don't attack."

Fairly soon, the soldiers were called into action.  Not against the elves, who really did seem to be genuinely friendly and wanting to trade, but against more goblin thieves.  The first one was spotted by a mason and ran off, escaping the pursuing military.  The second was spotted by Urist Kadolfeb, immigrant Ranger.  Still annoyed at not being able to kill the elves, he shot the creeping goblin in the leg, disabling it with a single bolt.

The rest of the military arrived in moments, the commander getting the kill.

Meanwhile, the former outpost liaison met with the elves, trading a handful of Rachel's polished microcline stones for all the wood they were carrying.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2012, 04:18:29 pm »

Elf :3

-Diary of CoraiUnki, Entry Three-

Hi diary! Today I noticed all the kids in the fortress, and got a idea, why not put them all in a hole with some pet dogs and have them all be friends and play! I left a note on Cilob's desk, I hope he likes it. I also noticed our big thrip friends keep dieing, its sad. But I guess they have to leave eventully. MAYBE WELL FIND A GIANT FLUFFY WOMBLER! I also got a idea for the fortress what all these goblins keep coming for our kids, I guess there lonely. We can make a pit a few levels deep, put some thrips and other animals in there, and put the goblins in. It would be so cute watching them play together! I should bring that up with cilob! And Im gonna ask if I can go foraging in my spare time, its so booring sitting around in the dining room. I would much rather be finding strawberries and Prickle berries. They make such wonderful wine!  Well bye diary, byeeeeeeee!

Oh and stop reading this guys! I know your reading it!

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2012, 04:28:46 pm »

Quote from: Diary of CoraiUnki, Entry Three (defaced by Athra)
Elf :3

-Diary of CoraiUnki, Entry Three-

Hi diary! Today I noticed all the kids in the fortress, and got a idea, why not put them all in a hole with some pet dogs and have them all be friends and play! I left a note on Cilob's desk, I hope he likes it. I also noticed our big thrip friends keep dieing, its sad. But I guess they have to leave eventully. MAYBE WELL FIND A GIANT FLUFFY WOMBLER! I also got a idea for the fortress what all these goblins keep coming for our kids, I guess there lonely. We can make a pit a few levels deep, put some thrips and other animals in there, and put the goblins in. It would be so cute watching them play together! I should bring that up with cilob! And Im gonna ask if I can go foraging in my spare time, its so booring sitting around in the dining room. I would much rather be finding strawberries and Prickle berries. They make such wonderful wine!  Well bye diary, byeeeeeeee!

Oh and stop reading this guys! I know your reading it!

I will stop reading it when I am done writing.

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2012, 04:33:39 pm »

"Well, talking to the thrips didn't work out too well. They don't like secrets, they don't like hugs, and then they die. So...   hello Mr Syrup Barrel. I'm not expecting you to be the sort of friend who likes secrets or hugs either, but I can steal syrup out of you, so that's enough."

"..."

"My crossbows have been used in battle now, Mr Barrel! Isn't that exciting? Some of my bolts are stuck in a goblin!"

"..."

She glares at the barrel for a while, and then shrugs, and dips in a finger to steal another taste.

"I'm starting to see why the others just keep a journal. Barrels are no fun."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 44