Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Are walls with fortifications carved into them indestructible?  (Read 2775 times)

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So walls are immune to building destroyers, fortifications aren't, correct? What about walls with fortifications carved into them. Are they immune to building destroyers? Do siege weapons fire over them as they do fortifications? (They don't fire over walls i believe).

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Are walls with fortifications carved into them indestructible?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 05:36:13 pm »

All constructions are immune to everything except cave ins.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 05:38:59 pm »

Wow, so fortifications with crossbow dwarves will thwart any siege that doesn't bring flying mounts?

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 05:39:53 pm »

Pretty much every weapon that shoots something goes through fortifications.  Either way.  So the gobbos can shoot back through the other side.

While building destroyers can't trash them, if they're in 7/7 water they can swim through them, or get sucked through by the flow of water.

Nothing like having a FB sneak through a fortification drainage in your well and then rise up out of the well on it's rampage through the fortress.

Memories...

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 05:42:58 pm »

Oh, so fortifications don't offer defense to dwarves firing behind them?

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 05:45:44 pm »

Wow, so fortifications with crossbow dwarves will thwart any siege that doesn't bring flying mounts?

They'll do pretty well until you get an elite goblin archer. Then he'll sit back and murder all of your marksdwarves because he can shoot through the fortifications just fine. And your marksdwarves will be shooting at the melee goblins that are closer to them than the elite archer is. So a few goblin axemen die and all of your marksdwarves die. And the elite archer is still out there laughing at you.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Patroclus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 05:57:08 pm »

Normal goblin bowmen cannot shoot through fortifications -- UNLESS they are standing right next to them.  So put a channel in front of your fortifications (or build them on Z+1) to keep goblins at least one square away, and you will be fine.

Goblin elite bowman CAN shoot through fortifications, from any distance.  This makes them very dangerous, since your marksdwarves will shoot the melee foes that are closer to them than the elite!  Elites are the reason why you set up Operation E.L.I.T.E. (Expendable Livestock In The Entryway).  Build an area fenced in with fortifications, that gobbos will have to path past on their way to your front door, and then dump all your dwarves' useless pet lambs and such into it.  Silly Dostngosp just won't be able to help himself!  He'll squander all his ammo plugging nanny goats and stray donkeys, and then once he's out of bolts, he's effectively harmless. 
I want Hell to be a place where my dwarves can live in peace and harmony.

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 08:18:39 pm »

Normal goblin bowmen cannot shoot through fortifications -- UNLESS they are standing right next to them.  So put a channel in front of your fortifications (or build them on Z+1) to keep goblins at least one square away, and you will be fine.

Goblin elite bowman CAN shoot through fortifications, from any distance.  This makes them very dangerous, since your marksdwarves will shoot the melee foes that are closer to them than the elite!  Elites are the reason why you set up Operation E.L.I.T.E. (Expendable Livestock In The Entryway).  Build an area fenced in with fortifications, that gobbos will have to path past on their way to your front door, and then dump all your dwarves' useless pet lambs and such into it.  Silly Dostngosp just won't be able to help himself!  He'll squander all his ammo plugging nanny goats and stray donkeys, and then once he's out of bolts, he's effectively harmless.

i hear rabbits breed fast enough that you'll actually get more of them faster than they die ^^

MetalHead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 08:54:44 pm »

i hear rabbits breed fast enough that you'll actually get more of them faster than they die ^^

Just hope they send regular enough sieges to prevent Fluffy Overload causing FPS death.

Or install a magma-powered cleansing system in your entrance, but that would render the rabbits useless.

Also, I've been tossing around an idea I haven't had a chance to verify using !!SCIENCE!! yet.  While I know of people modifying kitten/puppy sentry posts outside their fort to coax invaders into small trap-filled rooms or halls to thin the herd, is there a way to make an archer-only variant?  Do archers pick targets and paths based on:

1.) the same thing other invaders use, where they pick a target, check for a path, and if a path exists take it?
or
2.) pick a target, check for a path to a point in range and LOS of the target, and THEN attack?
or
3.) both in tandem, or some other method?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 09:08:06 pm »

I have learned to use a "shutter" in front of my marksdwarf fortifications: A drawbridge you can raise in front of them.  (Make the channel a tile further away.) 

Marksdwarves that see the enemy will refuse all orders as long as they see goblins, even if that order might be something as reasonable as, "Stop staring at goblins that on the other end of a fortification and pick up the darn bolts in the stockpile right under your feet and get back to firing!"  Using a shutter so that they can temporarily "forget" that there are goblins on the other side helps that.  It also helps when you see that elite bowgoblin come strutting out, since you can time when that shutter opens, or at the very least, close it if he's completely wasting your marksdwarves. 

That's when you can roll out Operation E.L.I.T.E.

Honestly, one of my favorite tricks was always to just fill an artificial lake with hippos or crocodiles or something, and then have a drawbridge that I raise up to fling the goblins into the lake.

I also had a drawbridge setup I called "The Clapper" - two drawbridges over two gaps that were raised towards each-other on a small island area between the gaps.  It had the amusing tendency to crush half the things between the two bridges, and fling the rest multiple z-levels into the air, whereupon they dropped into my hippo moats.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 09:36:52 pm »

How many z levels does a bridge extend up when raised? Is it proportional to the length of the bridge?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 09:43:05 pm »

How many z levels does a bridge extend up when raised? Is it proportional to the length of the bridge?

1, completely regardless of the length of the bridge.  A 1-tile bridge is basically like a floodgate that atom-smashes.

No buildings or constructions are capable of existing along more than one z-level in the current game.

Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 11:15:09 pm »

I (sometimes) use a more complicated shutter system.  This is for fully enclosed forts in Fortress Defence mostly.

My wall has a structure that extends out beyond it above the fortifications (perhaps just a roof, or perhaps more levels of fort) out a little distance.  The wall itself is tall enough that the fortifications are not at ground level.  Under that 'roof', wall drops on the three sides that isnt the firing fortification.  So you have a box, with no floor, with fortificications as one side.  Dwarves can shoot out into the area under the box, and a little further, depending on how close the opposite wall is (you basically constrain their field of vision).  This opposite wall then has a drawbridge attached, that when lowered, completes the floor of the box, sealing in the fortress.

The net effect is - the field of fire is constrained to a shorter range, forcing the enemy bowmen to get closer.  There is no bridge attached to the fortification side, so the blindspot at the base of the wall is much reduced.  The whole kaboodle can be sealed up tight to keep out nasty elite bowman arrows, hellfire imp fireballs, and tax collectors.

It is a bit more complex than the shutter described above, but it can offer more useful firing angles, and under the right circumstances, rapid opening and closing of the shutter can let you fire a volley of bolts out, then seal up before incomming fire crosses the distance.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 11:50:26 pm »

No buildings or constructions are capable of existing along more than one z-level in the current game.

Except wells, sort of...
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 11:56:55 pm »

Also walls make a floor 1 z level above them.

But that's kinda pedantic :P
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: [1] 2