Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Damn it all, I just been Aerith. When was your last???  (Read 5751 times)

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
Re: Damn it all, I just been Aerith. When was your last???
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 09:24:05 am »

How does one spend any amount of time on the internet and not know that Aeris dies?  I have no interest whatsoever in Final Fantasy and I know it...

Mainly because i think I am allergic to all JRPG games, manga, anime, all of it. I cant stand the art style and the plots are ridiculous (supposedly deep, but I find them trying so hard to be deep they end up as contrived drivel).

I hate big eyes and big heads, cant stand em! Big shiny eyes that vibrate back and forth with a little shiny spot on them make me want to punch kittens in the face.

I am 40. I have been on the internet since we used 300 baud dial-up modems to access BBS's and you could only have 1 person on the BBS at a time! I been around son. And yeah, no idea who the fuck Aerith or Aeris is.

But yeah, just thought I would commando crawl back in while you weren't looking and WWE:Raw style and Flying Clothesline this thread to oblivion.

Thanks, I am on a roll!
I got nothing

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 09:29:15 am »

FFIV: The entire game.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 09:41:39 am »

How does one spend any amount of time on the internet and not know that Aeris dies?  I have no interest whatsoever in Final Fantasy and I know it...

From what I've found, FF7 was primarily big with people of a certain age (the people whose first console was a PlayStation). It's not quite as ubiquitous as people in that generation might think.

grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 10:03:27 am »

I've only recently tried FF7, since it showed up as a ported PSone classic in the PS3 online shop thingie. I got bored about halfway though and stopped. Random encounters every 10-20 steps aren't terribly amusing.

To stay on topic, KoToR. That female jedi master whose name I can't remember (Barista or something) runs off with whatever good stuff you've equipped her with at some point and doesn't show up again until the end boss.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 11:14:17 am by olemars »

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 10:05:01 am »

In my opinion 9 was a far better game than 7, and the main character wasn't even a depressed emo!
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 10:18:17 am »

Just to be clear, another for of "Being Aerith" would be for example Alistar from Dragon Age Origins. If you choose to go with the Blood Magic at a certain point in the game while he is part of your party he will argue that its a mistake and give you a second chance to reconisder if you don't he will up and leave, full stop, carrying everything he is wearing at that time, so if he has been your big meaty shield and equipped with the Special Dragon's Armour, say good bye to it...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 10:41:42 am »

As for myself, when I played through it for the first time I was (I think) in sixth or seventh grade. Didn't exactly spend as much time on the internet back then, lacking a lot of the development the 'net has seen since those days (and besides, there was no such thing as Dwarf Fortress).

Also, I tended to play games through without a thought for online guides or anything of the sort - so no 'Aeris dies' type spoilers in advance. They were actually a LOT more fun when you couldn't just go to a wiki and have everything handed to you on a silver platter.

The first time I actually beat FFVII, I was on the beginning of the ending cinematic and my dog came flying into the room chasing the cat, tripped over the controller cord, and yanked the whole PS1 assembly on to the ground (causing the game to freeze).

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 11:27:24 am »

In my opinion 9 was a far better game than 7, and the main character wasn't even a depressed emo!

Agreed.

Plus Garnet is so soft;)
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2012, 01:12:12 pm »

Aeris' death was when I realised that jRPGs aren't really RPGs. Theres a huge difference between the player driven narrative you usually get in an RPG and the creator driven narrative you get in the likes of FF games where your only real choices are what armour to wear and what attacks to use. I often wonder if Aeris death is memorable because of the shock value of killing off a main character or if it's because of the complete disconnect it has with the rest of the world presented in the game.

Don't get me wrong I like FF7, and I think it's a good example of how deep and rewarding a jRPG can be, but Aeris' death is one of the top bullshit moments in gaming. It's story at the expense of gameplay, deus ex machina-ing a character away solely for a cheap emotional reaction. I can't think of many examples of this happening in games I've played, and I imagine that's because modern gamers would call shennanigans on this as soon as it popped up. Allistair in Dragon Age leaving is pretty close, but he (I'm fairly sure?) doesn't just up an leave with no notice. The game kind of hints that, hey, Allistair isn't liking what's going down. Watch how you go or he'll up and sod off.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2012, 02:07:36 pm »

JRPG's kinda RPG-ey. A little. Sometimes.

It doesn't help that some people clump all JRPG's into the same box.

Then again, I sometimes think the only real RPG's are ones where you're a blank slate called 'Insert Name Here' for the most part, regardless of the type of RPG.

Agh, i'm going off topic.

As for Aeris' death, it was nothing special emotionally or otherwise. You don't have her as a character for a long enough time to really be that invested, and you might not have even given them enough/good loots to care about. I'm sure if they'd put more effort into the story it'd have more impact.

Oh, I thought of another one. The Suikoden series.
Everybody!

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2012, 02:51:30 pm »

every goddamn time one of my units dies in Fire Emblem. mostly because I am inherently against save scumming, unless a game is buggy as shit
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2012, 02:56:09 pm »

Persona 3 FES. Goddammit
, why does an awesome guy like you have to go?

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2012, 03:40:18 pm »

From a slightly different angle, FF12.

Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2012, 02:15:30 am »

This fucker right here, anyone that's played Legend of the Dragoon knows exactly why. He does get replaced a heartbeat later by an almost identical person, but still.

^
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2012, 12:13:28 pm »

From a slightly different angle, FF12.

???
Whenever the leader died for me, a dialogue pops up asking me to pick a new leader.
But I know a few other games with that mechanic, though.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 [2] 3