Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Damn it all, I just been Aerith. When was your last???  (Read 5758 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Damn it all, I just been Aerith. When was your last???
« on: March 28, 2012, 05:22:05 pm »

So your playing this game, getting to know each of the members of your party, linking their friendships and relationships and trying to kit them out in the best gear, all things going swell. Conflict happens or someone goes missing and control is taken away to a cutscene where one of the members is doing something great. And then suddenly they go all get themselves killed, out of game combat so its game over for them. And you were just getting to like them...

Xenoblade Chronical's does this too, in the first 2hrs if you go straight through the story, I didn't I went around the place trying to do everything and getting to know my new world, all seemed great and nothing bad was going to happen...

Damn it all, they were also wearing and using some of my best gear at the time, and that cost me a good bit as well...

When has this happened to you, where a member goes AWOL or KIA when you were starting to like them or after leveling up/kitting them out after a long time. A friend of mine got hit by the Mememaker big time, spending over 1 week on Disc 1 Alone leveling up Aerith...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Damn it all, I just been Aerith. When was your last???
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 06:30:48 pm »

Isn't it Aeris?

Anyhow, I swear there were a few. Fire Emblem springs to mind when i'm incompetent. The FFII cast. No seriously, until the last dungeon, all your fourth characters are temporary, and all but one die.

Then there's a lot of secondary FFIV characters, though most are merely incapacitated.

Can't forget Galuf either.
Everybody!

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 06:49:33 pm »

It's been a long time since I've played a game where that has happened. I think Yoshimo in Baldurs gate 2 on my first play through,was the last time. It was annoying as I'd just about hit the level cap as I'd finished off pretty much all the quests you can do before heading off to spellhold because I didn't realize that they would be available afterwards.

It also meant I was left with a five person team all the way back as I'd left a space free for when we rescued Imoen.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 06:51:20 pm »

Heavy Rain.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 12:42:54 am »

this thread makes absolutely no sense to me and I read it twice. Just thought I would parachute in here and roundhouse kick this crap in the face.

Thanks, I fell better now.
I got nothing

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 01:06:53 am »

I think the most annoying example of this would be the Mount and Blade series. Certain characters get pissed off if they're just around each other and it's near impossible to cheer them up enough to keep the bastards around. There's this whole complex web of NPCs who like/indifferent/hate eachother which I could never be bothered with. We're meant to be soldiers not high-school students. ::)

I usually pick up the NPCs so I can customise my army a little bit. You can make certain characters fit certain gaps in the AI army. It usually takes the form (for me) of heavy armoured or fast horse archer distractions that can hold up/confuse the other side for a bit. This generally means I want to pick different kinds of NPC and quite a few of them as well.

So you've sank some items and levels into a NPC and then suddely remembered you've forgot to pick up a npc you can mold into a support character. You pick him and then that early npc and the new one get into a fight and one rocks on taking all their gear with them and leaves a few nasty words.
There have been many mods that address this which usually just turn the feature off, which goes to show just how broken it is. It sorta makes sense when I have a small band of warriors who would spend a lot of time together but when I have 200+ soldiers I would imagine the war camp would be pretty damn big and they can just head to different sides of the camp and ignore eachother.

EDIT: Apparently I got confused and walked into a thread dedicated to jRPGs. ::)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 12:16:13 pm by Catastrophic lolcats »

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 01:27:19 am »

Isn't it Aeris?
http://www.ff7citadel.com/secrets/sa_names.shtml
The same source that called 'aeris' 'aerith' also called sephiroth something along the lines of 'seiphirossu'. 

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 01:32:25 am »

this thread makes absolutely no sense to me and I read it twice. Just thought I would parachute in here and roundhouse kick this crap in the face.

Thanks, I fell better now.
+1

Not sure what's happening here either.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 02:05:58 am »

Anyhow, I swear there were a few. Fire Emblem springs to mind when i'm incompetent. The FFII cast. No seriously, until the last dungeon, all your fourth characters are temporary, and all but one die.
I've not played enough FE by half but I thought this was usually and at least mostly the players fault.

Not sure what's happening here either.
Really? I'm not sure if you're serious... Basically imagine spending loads of time getting to really like a character and developing said character only to have them get taken away from you while out of your control, sometimes with all the expensive equipment you've decked them out in.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 02:05:59 am »

TLDR format - relate your game experiences where what seemed to be a core character ends up getting murdered or disappearing during a cutscene, never to reappear again (except maybe at the very end of the game). Bonus points if you wasted a lot of time on that character, and more bonus points if they steal all their gear on the way out instead of returning it to the party inventory.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 02:46:33 am »

This fucker right here, anyone that's played Legend of the Dragoon knows exactly why. He does get replaced a heartbeat later by an almost identical person, but still.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 02:52:43 am »

How does one spend any amount of time on the internet and not know that Aeris dies?  I have no interest whatsoever in Final Fantasy and I know it...

agentorangesoda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 03:07:03 am »

Isn't it Aeris?
http://www.ff7citadel.com/secrets/sa_names.shtml

If what they said about the original name being "Earith" is true, it's possible she was supposed to be named Eris, after the greek goddess of discord and chaos

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 03:35:56 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Its not exactly the same thing but in ffvi Shadow left me many times and always took all the stuff I gave him. Cant think of anything else though.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.
Pages: [1] 2 3