Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Looking for games where you play as animals or other non-humanoids.  (Read 13421 times)

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for games where you play as animals
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 05:52:32 pm »

I am also interested in this. I actually tried playing wolfquest once... (don't)

Depth isn't finished yet but looks like it's getting close. Team-based multiplayer where one team is sharks. Looks cool.

I think if I ever learn how to make 3D games, one of my first projects will probably be a first-person game where you play as a bat. The visuals would mimic echolocation.

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 06:11:07 pm »

would Evolution: The Game Of Intelligent Life count?

you start from the very beginnings of life to an intelligent race, you play as the various species there are, and mostly control them to a feeding zone, mostly a waiting strategy game where you need to get your species to get to the better feeding zones so they dont die off.
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

General Ludd

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 06:14:05 pm »

I remember enjoying Inherit the Earth quite alot back in the day.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 06:54:45 pm »

I remember enjoying Inherit the Earth quite alot back in the day.

This one might seem to be anthro, but at the same time they are often acting much like a boiled down version of the animal they look like. Still, probably not what the OP is looking for.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 06:57:26 pm »

honey badgers are my favorite animal. there was a clip of one where it took a mouse from a puff adder's mouth, ate it, ate the puff adder, got a bite that could kill a human easily, and the honey badger was only dazed by it.
You asked for this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7pGZudN8rE&feature=related
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2012, 08:06:36 pm »

If you're explicitly looking for games where you "play as" an animal, not just look like or vaguely like one, a better question might be what games coud potentially be animal simulators, even if you're not explicitly depicted as such. Very few survival games have you play as an animal, but a fair number could possibly be mentally reskinned into some sort of predatory beaver-ant simulator, for instance.

On that note, I still don't have anything. I'm pretty almost any workable animal game concept would only be improved by building, tools, commerce, or other stuff that just doesn't keep the theme very well.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2012, 08:08:27 pm »

If you're explicitly looking for games where you "play as" an animal, not just look like or vaguely like one, a better question might be what games coud potentially be animal simulators, even if you're not explicitly depicted as such. Very few survival games have you play as an animal, but a fair number could possibly be mentally reskinned into some sort of predatory beaver-ant simulator, for instance.

On that note, I still don't have anything. I'm pretty almost any workable animal game concept would only be improved by building, tools, commerce, or other stuff that just doesn't keep the theme very well.

If we want to get specific... since humans are animals. Most games you play an animal.

However with that in mind I am going to include

Spore

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2012, 08:11:28 pm »

If we want to get specific... since humans are animals. Most games you play an animal.
Well, true. I guess you could argue that since the requirement is playing like an animal, human-featured games fail as most of what they're doing is not very typical human behavior, but I think you could handwave that off as games naturally focusing on the exciting parts; a bear simulator isn't going to feature a realistic number of hunting missions or inter-bear fights either.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2012, 08:15:21 pm »

The Sims 3 Pets lets you play as animals. Sims 2 pets expansion as well if you use a cheat.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2012, 09:04:25 pm »

ARMA 2 challenge mode lets you play as a goat or rabbit trying to avoid being hunted by Chernarussians with AKs.

I know, not quite what you're looking for, but it's all I've got.  :D

KG

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2012, 09:11:09 pm »

I'll be honest, most of the fun in these games comes from taking on both a distinctly nonhuman shape and mindset, and in many of them /moving/ in a distrinctly nonhuman way. One of the reasons I like wolf so much is that vision is perhaps the least useful of your senses, for example. While it doesn't really simulate the others /well/, it works. Which is the problem with Irony's suggestion, really - a reskin of a survival game would be just that, a reskin. Without any sort of sense based mechanics, and lacking any real feel of motion, there wouldn't be a whole lot making you a non-human animal, functionally. It's the same reason I didn't include dungeon crawl, even though you can play as the Felid. (cats)

It doesn't really /have/ to be an animal, but I figured that would be a better focus for a thread than "non-human". Other games that I enjoy for the same reaosn are games where you are very large or very small, or differently shaped, or otherwise move differently than a human would (loved playing as a colossus at the end of Shadow Of the Colossus, for example). Bonus points if you sense differently than a human would and have goals different than a human would.

I was actually incredibly psyched, for example, about the TF2 dog class. And then it turned out to be a joke. :(

Anyways, I'll expand the topic since we may well have hit the major things in this group.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for games where you play as animals or other non-humanoids.
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2012, 01:32:25 am »

That's something I really dug about Natural Selection (the half-life mod). Endless fun running around the walls and ceilings as these killer exploding xeno-puppies, scampering through air ducts, jumping on marines and biting their faces off. Them and the flying unit (lerks) were the most fun. I haven't touched it in years though.

The stand-alone sequel's in...I think closed beta right now? The one thing I really hope they get right is the motion-feel of those units from the first game.

Edit: I think you've also hit the nail on the head on why 95% of games with werewolves in them fail to be awesome, despite the fact that werewolves are awesome. Regardless of how they look, they tend to play like fuzzy humans. The only game I've played that's done them any justice is Morrowind (haven't seen them in Skyrim yet).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 01:46:34 am by DeKaFu »

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2012, 02:03:23 am »

How about all the Alien v. Predator games where you can play as a Xenomorph? Vaguely humanoid (except for parts as a facehugger), I guess, but extremely animalistic.
Octodad might count in some way.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2012, 04:19:36 am »

hum, only slightly related, but anybody played discworld noir? the point and click adventure
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5