Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Boredom: How to cope?  (Read 2418 times)

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Boredom: How to cope?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 11:09:20 pm »

Your problem is that your catastrophes just aren't large enough to be hilarious.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 12:04:49 am »

Yeah, thats probably it. I'm either a dwarf savant or just lucky. Probably lucky. I see these posts about spectacular tantrum spirals and and epic sieges, and I wonder why that never happens to me.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Vanaheimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 12:37:29 am »

Do you play vanilla or modded?

Masterwork+FD=much more difficult if you want it to be. And the FPS is better as well.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 01:27:05 am »

Boredom sets into the boring mind
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 01:34:25 am »

Yes, I play Masterwork.
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2012, 01:41:27 am »

Yes, I play Masterwork.

Do something you'd never do. Spark a civil war by attacking dwarven caravans, try glacial embarks, try embarking into the wintery taiga with at must a couple peices of wood and a few chickens and a dog. Sky's the limit really.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2012, 01:48:38 am »

As I said, I want fun, not !!FUN!!, but I don't get much of either. On the other hand, I just embarked on a town, so both kinds may yet ensue.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2012, 02:00:07 am »

violence is part of the regular fun. Plus, megaprojects don't automatically mean !!FUN!! and the biome recommendations were just to challenge you.

Build a giant temple to Armok, hollow out a mountain and do your class sytem thing with that. And lets face it, if you happen upon normal fun, !!FUN!! will follow. it's inevitable.

Stil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2012, 05:48:27 am »

Rather than the get bloody knuckles/build megaproject answer, I'll suggest something that always makes me more interested in a flagging fortress. Get involved with your dorfs - slow the game down and start reading through the unit descriptions, get to know their personalities. Watch them party and then think about their relationships as they make friends and enemies in the fort (some documentation on how dorfs bond and other personality trait stuff works would be great if you want to do !!science!! for the cause). Read the descriptions on the artifacts and engravings, give out a few pets. Adopt a few promising dorfs and then nurture your favourites - give them everything they could want and guide them from scrub migrants to legendary in their (your) chosen profession.

The latest content has given us alot to tinker with - necromancers, various blight clouds, werecreatures, new training, vampires (really vampires will make the game interesting - stop using the 'cheap' methods to detect them and you've got some cool murder mystery action on your hands), textile adjustments etc etc. I'm sure there's something in there you could look at too.
"This in particular, simply because it's so siggable." Ironyowl
Pages: 1 [2]