Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Why we seem to love the name URIST.  (Read 5489 times)

Athmos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why we seem to love the name URIST.
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2008, 02:25:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Lazer Bomb:
<STRONG>We should have at least 3 good dwarf names. Just my opinion.</STRONG>

true.

Bomrek, Onol, Mafol seems to crop up quite frequently too, and are of the names I can quote without launching the game. There are also some short ones like "ral", but they are less typical. I started to notice Bomrek's everywhere since Nist Akath made one of those so renowned.

Indeed, I think the one dwarf challenge was the story that made it so widespread. But even before, i think there was already a kind of fondness for that name. I had not yet seen this thread (this one I'm writing in, I mean), when I recently decided to name my avatar in a succession game Urist Uristson, as well as my avatar and leader in a community fortress I've started on a French forum.

Tyrving

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Poster/Dabbling Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2008, 01:33:00 am »

No love for Rakust? Every Rakust I've ever had has been incredibly hardcore, and the name itself sounds pretty dwarven.

Sylverone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sylverone.deviantart.com
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2008, 08:41:00 pm »

I agree that Urist is the only name I've heard for a female dwarf that seems to fit both the female AND dwarven description. I love the name, but I'm also quite fond of Mistêm, because of a dwarf named Mistêm Ularmafol in my first fortress, named Tekkudurvad, or "Pickseals", from the old 2-d build.

While it's story is incomplete, I think that The Chronicles of Pickseals is a worthwhile read. At least, looking back on it, it's something I would probably read on my own time even if I wasn't the author. Tell me if you feel the same way! Don't post in the topic, since it's old.

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2008, 10:11:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>Urist Uristurist, Urist cancels Urist: Interrupted by Skeletal Urist</STRONG>

Sigged for victory.

This is not a signature.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2008, 01:04:00 am »

For a second I thought that said "Sieged for victory".

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2008, 01:08:00 am »

Yeah, I vote for Dastot as well. It is a bit of a morbid name, meaning death (das Tod / der Tod)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Boethiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2008, 01:38:00 am »

I like Ingish, since i've had too many Ingish's to count. Plus im pretty sure its a last name too. Ingish Ingish, GENIUS!
quot;AHA!" Kodor cried, and opened the cabinet. Some crumpets fell out. The whole thing was stuffed full of them.

"Crumpets!" shouted the Captain in glee.

Hobo Symbols!

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2008, 12:37:00 pm »

Hmm... Here's a name that comes up a lot for me. Dodok. Or possibly Dodik. It shows up for me as Dod(leversymbol)k.

After a while of getting them everywhere, I made the fort 'DodokDodok Dodok Dodok' ClaspedClasp the Clasp of Clasping, or somesuch. It made sense.

But I've only ever gotten one Urist, and he's an entirely unremarkable peasent right now.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2008, 01:14:00 pm »

Limul.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2008, 01:51:00 pm »

It's slightly unrelated, but all of the dogs I end up with are named "Fath".  

It means "sack", be the way.  Due to typical dwarven randomness, it is an exceptionally good name for a dog.

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2008, 02:00:00 pm »

Hey wow, I'm influential!

One thing I wanted to mention:

quote:
Originally posted by Sylverone:
<STRONG>I agree that Urist is the only name I've heard for a female dwarf that seems to fit both the female AND dwarven description.</STRONG>

Ironically, the Urist from One Dwarf Against the World was, in fact, a male dwarf.

I somehow didn't realize this until somewhere well into the second update, and figured I'd look silly to change it then so... there you go. I had to do a lot of careful editing of the profile page whenever I took a shot of it.

True story.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2008, 03:58:00 pm »

Technically, I have seen _two_ common dwarven stereotypes taken from popular DF stories...

Urist McJobtitle = A typical dwarf, especially one antisocial, stupid, or stubborn. As I said, typical.
MilitaryRank Ironblood = A military dwarf, especially one who is highly skilled or indestructible, but is not necessarily as loyal or attentive as you would like.

[ June 04, 2008: Message edited by: Erom ]

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]