Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Randomised Metal Template  (Read 636 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Randomised Metal Template
« on: March 27, 2012, 03:53:41 pm »

So as you know Toady eventually plans on having randomised materials such as metals. My suggestion however is for the game to create metals a lot more organically then just taking values within an array.

Basically when a new metal is being creature the game will select "Qualifiers" for each metal and those qualifiers themselves will set the values.

For example is it a "Strong, unweilding, and Heavy" Metal? Strong means it has high yeild values, unweilding means it has low elasticity, and heavy means its weight is high.

This also provides information to the player. As these templates could be added to the description of the metal itself. So...
"This Green metal is known for being strong though it is rather brittle. This metal is as heavy as lead" You get the idea.

Or when magic or alchemy is added these templates could also be used as the way to pick and chose the metals you are creating either partially or as a whole.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 03:57:24 pm by Neonivek »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Randomised Metal Template
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 04:22:42 pm »

You might want to look over the Alchemical Material Property Tokens thread, which I only did a couple weeks ago...

What you are talking about is basically an aspect of what I was talking about, except that the point of mine was to apply it globally in the place of an alchemy system, and add such material-modifying tokens to things like stone and animal body parts.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 05:32:55 pm »

It is mostly as a way for Toady to avoid making all the values uniform or purely random when he actually adds randomated materials

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 05:38:35 pm »

It is mostly as a way for Toady to avoid making all the values uniform or purely random when he actually adds randomated materials

And Alchemical Material Property Tokens apply to all procedurally generated materials, not just metals, and accomplish the task of the magic/alchemy you can use them with.

It takes only marginally more effort, and produces a far more thorough result, as it paves the way for fully procedural worlds where the stone is procedurally created, and the reactions you can use them for are procedurally generated, as well. 

It is merely the logical conclusion of applying this same sort of idea to the whole system DF is based upon, and produces far more powerful and flexible results.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare