Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 58

Author Topic: Roll to Explore the Dungeon: Ch.2 T.38: Do you even praise the King?  (Read 120483 times)

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile

Apollo stayed silent near the edge of the group, watching them think. He glanced back down at whatever the hell was being skinned, and gave it another go.

Try to skin again.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Explore the Dungeon! Turn 29: Dungeon Bypass
« Reply #601 on: February 19, 2013, 11:37:03 am »

((Thanks, but I'm technically not in the adventure XD))

Clean feet.

"Thank you Apollo for showing me your last meal. I just hope it wasn't so...detailed."

Taren moved up over by Remy's side. Shifting his blade to Fire, and proceeding with the best way possible to aid leg recovery.

"You know, I see switches 'C' and 'I' to be both on, and the chains activated. The rest are complete opposites.

"...Why is someone even doing this? Surely a test of wits, if not brawn in breaking the chains. Dangling what may be alluded to a prize if the answer is right. Did anyone see the connections?"

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Explore the Dungeon! Turn 30: Safe Haven
« Reply #602 on: February 23, 2013, 11:21:12 am »

Turn 30: Just put everything inside that moves

Clarifications (since the actions don't make sense otherwise)

Helskaya, Taren, Apollo, Remy are in the puzzle room.
Elenor, Komas, Maka are in the jungle room and will automatically move to the puzzle room come the end of turn because of incoming nasties.

Taren:
Spoiler: Action (click to show/hide)

(4) You shuffle to the next bush and try to clean your boots. They cost you 21 cp! Hopefully they're not going to stink afterwards. After getting most of the... stuff off your boots and cleaning out the accursed holes, you flip the hilt's switch, because, hey, fire. Planting it in the ground near Remy so that he has something to warm his fingers on, you move on to Helskaya, but he doesn't want your help. Seems that he's going to be fine soon enough, the regeneration will just need time.

Elenor:

(6) You really need a break. Too much stupidity and near-death experiences for your tastes. A short look around confirms that there's only two people left here with you - there's a stampede incoming, you're sure of it. Maka seems spaced out, so you shrug and tow her in... Komas reacts violently when you try to do the same to him, so you leave him alone. Whatever.
The cavern you tug Maka through, following the foottracks of the other explorers, is actually quite pretty. You notice a lumiscient crystal on the wall and break it off to use it as a torch, then continuing down the path.

This cavern is surprisingly linear, and surprisingly boring.

Ruins. Puzzle. Huh. Well, they seem to want to solve that on their own, and that's good for them, you guess. At this point you don't want to be bothered by it. You decide to take a second look at the other parts of the ruin.

Actually, on closer inspection, the walls of the ruin are, for lack of a better word, cluttered. Covered in overgrowths of vines, littered with statues, or the renmants of it, there's one well on the left side, clinging to the wall, that's apparently getting flooded through a pipe. There is no real ceiling either, what you at first thought looked like a ceiling are in fact distant treetops. There might be a way out to the sides.

There also is a large stone door on the far end of the room. You give it a tentative shove, and it doesn't really react - either it is locked, or just stuck. There's one indentation, but it looks more like the teeth of time took a bite out of it. In fact, there is actually a hole you can peek through, but the other side is dark. The crystal doesn't change anything about that, not a small room thus.

You're tired. This bundle of skins looks comfy...

Apollo:

(2) This is a classic hen-and-egg problem, you realize while pondering the situation. To get rid of the skins, furs, and several attached bloody entrails that are tightly wrapping your entire body in the shape of a soccer ball, you need free usage of your hands. To have free usage of your hands, you need to get rid of the skins, furs, and several attached bloody entrails that are tightly wrapping your entire body in the shape of a soccer ball.

You opt to scream for help. Elenor rolls around a bit.

Helskaya:

(4) You get stoned, business as usual.
It strikes you that all switches probably operate in the same manner. Apart from the center switch, that one's evil.
Then it strikes you that the trips you get down here in the labyrinth are so much more vivid than the ones above.
Then you see tentacle monsters riding tentacled unicorns, and you are okay with that.
Then you see the Queen wildly arguing with someone. Perhaps her mirror image.
Then you see a tentacled Maka riding a tentacled Jelly. Huh, that's almost too normal.
Then you see Ratherio trying to seduce the embodiment of chaos with the lamest pick up line you ever heard. The embodiment of chaos looks desperate.
Then you see a swirling vortex of colors, with gold and black being a bit dominant.

Maka:

(5) "Chapter 27: How to modify jellies to remote control them through magic"
Score.

Maka begins to take notes, furiously, then is nudged down the cavern by Elenor, then works furiously in the ruins. An inexplicable wooden bathtub is involved.

Remy:

(3) You hit the A switch in an overly dramatical manner.
Nothing happens for a moment slightly too long to be a dramatic pause.
Then, Maka loudly yells "EUREKA!", startling you.
When you look back to the chains, there's now a Chain A but no more Chain B or Chain D.
A toweled Maka runs you over.

Komas

(6) Is this spring at optimal cooking temperature? Your thumb confirms that. Meat ready? Check.
Actually, a stew would be far better, but what to store it in...? Oh, yes, your carapace would do well for that. Now throw in the lobster, the herbs, some jelly for taste and a pinch of ichor... oh, right, rock salt would do well. Stir it a bit with the oar, and some more meat...

Some time later, Komas barges into the ruin with an improvised wheelbarrow full of delicious stew with the lobster swimming inside.

--

It's getting dark. Perhaps you should call it a day soon, the ruins seem pretty safe altogether and some people (Elenor) are already quite tired. Someone would need to be the sentry, though.

--

The main distinguishing features of this ruin are one control-panel-esque thing with nine switches in a 3x3 pattern, five of which appear to be flipped on. The panel is on a face of a grand stone pedestal, and far above the stone pedestal there is a treasure chest supported by six chains. There is a large letter on the column each chain is anchored to that corresponds with the letters on the switches, except for the middle switch, which has no column equivalent.

The switches are arranged like this:

Code: [Select]
abC
dxE
GhI

And the chains are arranged in this pattern:

AbC
dTe
gHI

T is the treasure chest. The chains are of magical nature, and as long as there is at least one chain left the chest will stay afloat.
Capital letters = switch flipped on/there is a chain, lower case = switch flipped off/no chain.

--

Everyone's in Tiruin's cavern, or rather, the switch room.

Character sheets.

Helskaya Arkut (lawastooshort)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Elenor Warsen (Caellath)

Apollo Anderson (Spinal_Taper)

Taren Creyn (Tiruin)

Komas Hopatke (Yoink)

Remy Maelle (Remaelle)

Maka R'lyeh-Voile (IronyOwl)
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: February 23, 2013, 11:50:23 am »

"Dudes! DON'T DO THE CENTRE ONE! It's... bad?"

Take out my axe and sit down for a rest.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: February 23, 2013, 02:07:23 pm »

"Ok, I got this."
Hit switches G and I.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: February 23, 2013, 03:04:22 pm »

Remy presses switches G and I.

Chains D, E and G appear. Chain F disappears. The H chain flickers for a moment, but stays.

Switch status:

abC
dxE
ghi

Chain status:

AbC
DTE
GHi

T is the treasure chest. The chains are of magical nature, and as long as there is at least one chain left the chest will stay afloat.
Capital letters = switch flipped on/there is a chain, lower case = switch flipped off/no chain.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: February 23, 2013, 03:11:39 pm »

Now C, then A, then G.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: February 23, 2013, 03:36:18 pm »

The gunslinger flips the switches C, A and G in rapid succession.

--

Chains wildly flicker in and out of existence over Remys head. When it dies down, just a single chain - Chain D - still supports the floating treasure chest.

Remy looks disappointed.

Switch status:

Abc
dxE
Ghi

Chain status:

abc
DTe
ghi

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: February 23, 2013, 04:18:15 pm »

"Just gotta..."
A, G, E

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: February 23, 2013, 04:36:52 pm »

"Alright, here goes..."

There's a small rumble. And suddenly...
All seven chains that were previously missing reappear.

Switch status:

abc
dxe
ghi

Chain status:

ABC
DTE
GHI

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: February 23, 2013, 04:44:11 pm »

"Uh, excuse me? I'm a little bit trapped in here."
Continue trying to find a way out.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: February 23, 2013, 04:46:42 pm »

"Just as planned.  And now I just need to..."
Hit all the switches in order.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: February 23, 2013, 05:05:11 pm »

All chains disappear and appear again. In fact, they disappear two times each and appear once.

After Remy finishes hitting the last switch, the treasure chest is thus unsupported, and falls down. A faint DA-DA-DA-DAAAAAAH can be heard.
Unfortunately, it doesn't spill open.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: February 23, 2013, 09:12:14 pm »

Examine chest for locks or other loot inhibitors.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: February 24, 2013, 12:20:38 am »

((Cleaning...cost money?! Who in the world am I paying for D:))

"Now we go for the trap searching, of course. I'm sure there are no triggers based on force though, seeing how far it fell."

Search the room for any other passages or entryways, and then shoot the Chest Lock with a bolt from my crossbow.

"I'll check the lock."
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 01:51:25 am by Tiruin »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 58