Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 58

Author Topic: Roll to Explore the Dungeon: Ch.2 T.38: Do you even praise the King?  (Read 120461 times)

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Explore the Dungeon! Turn Twelve, Part One: Heaven or Hell
« Reply #180 on: April 23, 2012, 02:46:58 pm »

Turn Twelve, Part One: Please insert pre-boss music of choice

Taren:
Spoiler: Action (click to show/hide)

(6) Before departing, Taren has stabilized the Paladin's situation even more. Mainly by counteracting the blood loss, it should be at normal levels now. She should be on her own legs in three to four hours or so.

But now, for this zombie... most zombies are mindless and remote controlled, anything beyond limited autonomy was generally not worth the bother. Sentient legions of the dead would probably be far too much of a hassle and no real improvement to just buying a couple of mercenaries. So, whoever did this was out for a) Science, b) Evulz, c) Pretty screwed up compassion or d) any combination of the above.
"I apologize. It's rare that I see a zombie with free will."
"Don't care."
"Actually, you're the first."
"And because of that I always get thrown into the braaaaains crowd. Ugh. But really, no offense taken."
"None intended. Your keys are also pretty a pretty weird kind of curse. Do you know any white magic that could help?"
"White magic? Have you ever heard of an undead cleric? Actually... perhaps because nobody has tried it yet, but sorry, I'm not really versed in any sort of magic. At all. I could muster a few curses, now, the curses on the keys are metaphorically seeping out. But that's about diametrically opposite." That had to be a powerful enchantment if it was seeping out. He asks:
"So, what about those keys, now?"
"Haven't really got the foggiest idea. One moment, I'm down here in the dungeon with a pulse and drunk as a skunk, then, everything goes cold, and second moment I'm here, completely sober and dead with keys in my everywhere. Until that man came... I was basically screwed, heh."
"Wait." That's the second time she mentioned that someone helped her. "You had someone help you out? Who is that man?"
"I don't know." The shrug is genuine. "Blond, white and blue clothing, lots of belts. Oh, and he likes tea."
Strange. Wait. "Why doesn't that man, if he's so nice to you, help you get out here? Have you asked him?"
"I haven't thought of that..." She continues: "But, if it weren't for him, I'd be even worse off..."
Taren decides to not dwell further on that - any further conversation would at this point be harmful. Instead, he focuses on the room. Then, on the keys. They are not really interesting - the dark aura is obvious, but difficult to actually decipher - so he admires the room again.

Elenor:

(2) "Okay, okay, okay. I get it. You don't bother me and I don't bother you, and, really, your question before was justified paranoia. I've seen what else is around here and trusting everything really does not make you much more than a skeleton around these parts."

Helskaya:

(autosuccess) Your offer of help was appreciated and duly noted.

Apollo:

(2) "Vampire? There's no vampires here, or have you seen one? I can assure you, whatever this large key is, it's not a vampire. He's not wanted to become a bat at least, he's just in for the blood. But, somewhere in that general direction? Perhaps he is there."

At this point everyone sets off for the locked door. Taren decides to drag the paladin along. He wants some answers.

Ratherio:

(2) You mutter the incantation. She doesn't seem to notice. And that's precisely the problem - Costrus failed, utterly. You have only met a few undead mentally coherent enough to pass off as youth culture in a bad light, so, Costrus might not work on those undead who still have a free will - or, the keys have interfered, binding her too strongly to her necromancer or the key's enchanter or whatever. Their dark aura is difficult to ignore, whoever created them was very good at his craft.

Remy:

(3) "...about those keys." This walk is boring you, the zombie girl is far too slow, having to drag that huge key behind her and nobody really wants to help her lift it for rather obvious reasons.
"Yes? What's it? They are keys. They fit into keyholes."
"No, you said they might be cursed or keeping you alive or something like that?" Ratherio's suddenly listening up... hah, knew it.
"I dunno. Do I look like a mighty wizard to you?" Mighty wizards could come in every form, Remy recalls. Most of them were rather huge dicks, and her sarcasm was a match as well.
"Well, I expected you to know something about that which might have caused your sorry state."
"Pfff..." Successful counter-attack! "I don't drag this large one around for fun, if that's your drift. He... would not tolerate any other."
Since she doesn't want to talk anymore, you leave it be, as a victory for you. Go, you!

--

The party arrives at the main room again. There is no more loot there, but nobody really cares about that. There is a door to worry about. After a short consideration, she lifts the key she is chained to and jams it into the door. At first it seems that nothing is going from that, but then, the door starts to disintegrate into gleaming light. After it subsides, there is no more door, but plenty of doorway.
"If that was the way, why did we need you?" Helskaya asks.
"It's a key. It opens doors." That's all the explanation given to her.
After a short walk, you enter the next room. It has a high ceiling and artfully decorated walls. There is a fountain to be found in the middle, clear water flows from it. And on the other side, there is an ornate high door, locked by chains and seven different keyholes.
The zombie points her key menacingly at the door. It creaks.
The door opens unsteadily.

The room the party now enters is completely different from the others. Whereas the other rooms were rock-walled rock-floored drab-looking generic dungeon walls, this looks more like a natural cave. An earth cave, in fact. Grass grows in places, water shines on the cavern floor at some places, and there are several large torches, providing lighting even though the cave is already unusually light. Storage pottery around gives more weight to the thought that this cave is or was used for something once - but the pots are ancient. So, on second inspection, the rest of the place.
It is also unusually large, larger than everything encountered so far, and still very open despite random pillars and clutter - which, you notice, concentrates on the edges. The middle part is grassy and very, very open. There is also a treasure chest there, which was the first thing that caught the party's eyes.
Approximately five seconds later the party is rushing at said treasure chest with rapidly increasing velocity, leaving proteges and captives behind. Just as Ratherio takes the lead, the entire party crashes into an invisible wall. Before anyone can figure out what the hell is going on, a voice adds to the confusion: "Apologies. But while you have shown adaequate investigative and diplomatic skill, I have not seen enough to judge how you fare when combat is unavoidable."
Taren notices that the voice comes from his inventory, which he promptly empties to the ground. He finds it to come from the... dungeon map?! Except that he only recognized it because he had no other parchments. The map he was given certainly was not riddled with arcane runes and did not have a threefold magic circle in its middle.
"Please do not take me wrong. I have been watching you this entire time, and what I have seen, so far, was very satisfying and shows me that you have a lot of the skills required to brave the depths of this dungeon. But there has not been enough combat, so I have to intervene to change that a bit."
That voice... you've heard it. When you signed up for this!
"Explain yourself! Elizabeth Voile!" Elenor bellows.
Instead of an answer, the parchment's radiance suddenly flares up, and after the light dies down, the Chief Minister of Labyrinth Exploration and Magical Artifacts does stand before you, well inside the barrier:

Spoiler: Illustration (click to show/hide)

"Oh, what I did with the map? Half an hour of straight work, invisible ink and high-level dimensional magic." She smirks, as she cannot quite help herself from showing off. "Direct feed into the traditional crystal ball, and then I've been sitting there with chips and apple juice watching your misadventures. Anyway. As explained, I'll put you through a combat test now. Don't worry, I'll not be going all out, nor will I aim for killing blows - I'm here to test you, not to cause a total party wipe. We've had enough of these."
"I'm here to help you, really. If you can't handle this, you'll never be able to clear the lower levels. But if you defeat me here, you'll have access to my help from then on to maximize your chances. So, can we start?"

--
We're splitting the turn in half here. There will be no actions allowed except for talking. I've got no time left, put simply.

--

Spoiler: Locations (click to show/hide)

Character sheets.

Helskaya Arkut (lawastooshort)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Elenor Warsen (Caellath)

Apollo Anderson (Spinal_Taper)

Taren Creyn (Tiruin)

Ratherio Houston (borno)

Remy Maelle (Remaelle)
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 23, 2012, 03:21:14 pm »

((I may as well start to use fencing skills - a.k.a dirty swordfighting - since those were the ones I wrote in my sheet))

Elenor eyes the mage indifferently through his helmet.
"Sincerely, I am not surprised."
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 23, 2012, 03:38:36 pm »

Elenor eyes the mage indifferently through his helmet.
"Sincerely, I am not surprised."

"It's how things work in here apparently. There has to be a large encounter in places like this one."
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 01:27:48 am by Errol »

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 23, 2012, 04:28:28 pm »

"Oh, a treasure chest in the middle of a room significantly different from the others?  Should have seen this coming."

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 23, 2012, 06:27:20 pm »

"Well, uh is there a way that we won't have to fight you? And still get your help?" Apollo asks the mage.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 23, 2012, 10:08:10 pm »

((I like the illustration.))

"I have to inquire, to sate my curiosity," Taren said.

He then rubbed his temple with a hand, furrowing his brow after resting it. "The initial passage was all a test, then. Why test us, specifically? Haven't there been any others?

And as you've been watching us, do you mind explaining the other two we've seen earlier - the Paladin and Girl?"
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 10:11:28 pm by Tiruin »

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 24, 2012, 01:26:55 am »

"Well, uh is there a way that we won't have to fight you? And still get your help?" Apollo asks the mage.

"No. Since when could you get through a dungeon without fighting?"

"I have to inquire, to sate my curiosity," Taren said.

He then rubbed his temple with a hand, furrowing his brow after resting it. "The initial passage was all a test, then. Why test us, specifically? Haven't there been any others?

And as you've been watching us, do you mind explaining the other two we've seen earlier - the Paladin and Girl?"

"I -think- I told you about that the first time we met...? Remember, you were the most promising adventurers around. The average quality was astoundingly low, although it's risen now. Although, all the other promising people are really loose cannons, so you are the best choice - for one, I'd trust you with a book for one hour without fearing for its continued existance.
You were at first given the quest to create a map of the premises here. That was a test, obviously, and I stated as such. You have been around enough that the map should be complete enough, and you did that with minimal fighting. You did pass that one, no mistake. But the minimal fighting is the problem here, I haven't got a good impression of your real power right now. Besides, the boss who is usually around here is on vacation... Anyway, help and test are two different things, that's the real deal here. I would have helped you from second level on regardless what happened. But first you need to confirm that you'd be powerful enough to take the second level. We have first reports from down there, and apparently the population there is a whole lot more unfriendly, to put it mildly.
Oh, and about those two girls back there. The zombie is interesting, I'll give you that, although I have no idea what or who she actually is. When we are done here I'd like to have a little private questioning and curse inspection time with her. And the paladin just gives me headaches, but I should have expected this to happen. No matter where you are, can't escape politics... perhaps a little questioning time with her too, hehe."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 24, 2012, 06:28:37 am »

Taren nodded, noticing the 'On vacation' part pertaining to the 'boss' around. He wondered if every dank location had a hierarchy as organized as this. The man then nodded to the others.

He unsheathed his broadsword and held it to the side, blade upwards, and brought both hands to it's hilt.

"I, for one, am ready."

Be ready.

((Then I get a 1.  :P))

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 24, 2012, 02:52:10 pm »

"So, I assume you're a mage? Not a fighter?"
Ratherio hides a smile.
"Do you have any 'hidden ability's' that we should know about? A physical barrier? A healing skill? Magic resistance?"
Ratherio actually laughed this time, despite his best attempts to stifle it.
"I assume that you have all of these skills, but I would like to know which ones you are going to use in this fight."

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 24, 2012, 03:21:29 pm »

"So, I assume you're a mage? Not a fighter?"
Ratherio hides a smile.
"Do you have any 'hidden ability's' that we should know about? A physical barrier? A healing skill? Magic resistance?"
Ratherio actually laughed this time, despite his best attempts to stifle it.
"I assume that you have all of these skills, but I would like to know which ones you are going to use in this fight."

"Actually, I was thinking I'd just summon something and kick back a bit. But if you want a personal beatdown..."

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 24, 2012, 03:33:29 pm »

((I wish I could summon a 5 from the heavens so I could use one of the most devastating attacks a Combat Pragmatist can unleash upon a bookworm mage :V

It would be interesting but I won't try it due to the fact I'll be screwed if it fails.

(...)perhaps a little questioning time with her too, hehe."
Dafuq. This sounds terrible.))
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 04:18:41 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 24, 2012, 04:49:37 pm »

"Uh... Because I'm so charming?" Apollo retorts.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 25, 2012, 09:47:30 am »

"Uh... Because I'm so charming?" Apollo retorts.
"That works in most of the cases, provided that you are actually charming - while you are nice, that isn't enough for anyone superficial enough to notice your air de nerd. You would be considered charming - in comparison - provided your best friends were a hopelessly autistic maniac, a greasy sleazebag of greasiness and a foreigner incapable of speaking with women. As it stands your party isn't even that far off that mark... that might explain that success..."

The zombie tries to not notice. She barely succeeds.

((I am intrigued, Caellath. Please PM me your intended action.))

/e: Just looked at the start date. Weird, this RtD is that young?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 09:52:07 am by Errol »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 25, 2012, 11:56:05 am »

Just looked at the start date. Weird, this RtD is that young?
((Young RtD, yeah.))
>Yes?

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 25, 2012, 12:39:55 pm »

Just looked at the start date. Weird, this RtD is that young?
((Young RtD, yeah.))

((I usually average out to a... lower turn per day ratio, so it being somewhere at one turn every two or three days is surprising, to say the least. Of course, the illustrations take time...))
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 58