Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fun. Lesson learned? Educate oneself or check the wiki..  (Read 3752 times)

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fun. Lesson learned? Educate oneself or check the wiki..
« on: March 27, 2012, 07:19:15 am »

Urist McExpedition Leader scans the embark location, trees aplenty, a major river snaking through cutting a deep gash in the earths flesh, a minor stream fueling a small waterfall, excellent for building the nobles room and the dining hall behind ... Ahhh paradise.

He turns to his fellow Dwarves. "We have lots of work before us mates, you know your jobs, you have your tools. Miners, strike the earth!"

Sounds if bustling ensues as the dwarves tear into the wagon for their tools. Urist enjoys the sounds of his mate mingled in with those of the wind in the trees, the roar of the falls, otters and a clan of snapping turtle men playing in the stream.

The dwarves noise of work slowly turns into muted argument, the words not fully making it to Urists ears. "What in Sam Hell are you all bickering about instead of working?"

"Uh, sir, it appears we do not have picks in our supplies."

"I know that! We brought the raw materials to make them. Build a wood furnace, a smelter and a forge and make your tools."

The dwarf, a young yet dedicated clerk checked his list again and began to say something before being cut off by Urist. "Don't give me buts, judt do as I say!"

The dwarves began to work furiously, the shops were hastily thrown together, charcoal created and the smelter ...smeltering.

"Uh... Sir."

"What is it boy?"

"We cannot make picks sir. Instead of copper, we somehow had cassiterite ib our cargo..."

"Yes? I know we have cassiterite, its a copper ore, what do you take me for, a nitwit? A nincompoop?"

"Sir. Cassiterite is the only Tin alloy, to soft for tools sir. I sm afraid we will have to build a stockade of wood and pray the outpost liason arrives before the cursed elves..."

Doh!

Survived well, had 30 spiked wooden balls for trade by the time the first caravan came, which was 10 secobds or so after the exp. Leader went into a mood causing the liason to immediately leave upset. I have no idea why i brought cassiterite.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fun. Lesson learned? Educate oneself or check the wiki..
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 07:26:48 am »

ah, the pitfalls of min-maxing on embark.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 07:35:41 am »

Was a nice test of my survival skills I thought.

I am really fond of the ...bad choices... That send a fort down fun avenues you were not conciously looking for

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 07:40:03 am »

Either wait for traders to show up or leave and Reclaim.
So early on you won't loose anything, and if it is as good as you say, no point in leaving it for good.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 07:54:12 am »

The site isnt that great, no iron ore, but a veritable sea of marble, 9k of candy, 200k or so each gold and copper. Most of the adjectives in OP were for story telling purposes. I used to abandon then reclaim a lot,

Adapt, improvise & overcome is a better way to learn though :-)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 08:34:00 am »

Tons of Gold+Copper+Marble sounds like every nonsedimentary embark ever, tbh.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 12:54:32 pm »

The site isnt that great, no iron ore, but a veritable sea of marble, 9k of candy, 200k or so each gold and copper. Most of the adjectives in OP were for story telling purposes. I used to abandon then reclaim a lot,

Adapt, improvise & overcome is a better way to learn though :-)

Be glad you brought cassiterite, then, as you'll be able to make plenty of bronze ;p

That's actually exactly how I embark: Cassiterite and copper ore to smelt into bronze for early weapons/armour. Cheap as hell and they save fuel compared to other weapons grade metals.

Stil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 01:15:57 pm »

Forge the tin into a small instrument to keep up morale ;)
"This in particular, simply because it's so siggable." Ironyowl

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 03:11:36 pm »

Yeah like the last 5 or 6 embarks I did.  Finally found a decent site with iron and coal for a good change of pace.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 03:43:29 pm »

I love to bring casserite on my embarks, course i also bring tetrahedrite or native copper so i can use the casserite.... but its still worthwhile
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 05:02:39 pm »

I bring cassiterite, also malachite and bismuthinite, to make dwarven bronze, aka bismuth bronze, the most beautiful metal next to steel (and candy). What I forget to do is bring a fire-safe rock to make my smelters....

reilwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 06:10:11 pm »

Bear in mind that ash counts as a fire safe material for building smelters and forges...

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 06:30:33 pm »

Yeah like the last 5 or 6 embarks I did.  Finally found a decent site with iron and coal for a good change of pace.

Once you learn to get by without it, though, having all the steel you could ever want just lying around in a map starts to feel a little too easy, though. 

I like having to make do with bronze and making steel a special treat I only get from carefully hoarding the goblinite and trading for flux (although I often wind up with marble, anyway).
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 07:29:56 pm »

Yeah. And for the people that have invasions turned off, iron is irrelevant.

I usually embark on volcanoes, these sedimentary layers are foreign :-P

Bronze.... I musta read a forum post about minimal embarks and forgot half.

I had gone to embark and loaded a saved embark profile , one i have used many time, but this time it said i did not have enought points and kicked off several items, thereby causing me to scoff "picks? Bah, i'll make my own!"

Do certain places alter ur allotted points or the values? Never noticed...

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 07:31:21 pm »

Ya... I forgot to bring any metal, wood, or stone (for the furnace/forge) couple embarks ago. Second time to min/max. Kinda just sat there thinking,... Ok, no axes, no picks, and no building materials... lol
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?
Pages: [1] 2