Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fun. Lesson learned? Educate oneself or check the wiki..  (Read 3754 times)

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fun. Lesson learned? Educate oneself or check the wiki..
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 07:37:12 pm »

cassitrite + copper nuggets OR malachite OR (tetrahedrite in a pinch) is actually just as good as bringing one ore the other ores 12 points makes 2 bars, for 6 point bronze bars, (9 points if you count the log needed to make it). Bronze is waaaay better then copper.
I voted for BANANA!

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 07:44:47 pm »

Yeah. And for the people that have invasions turned off, iron is irrelevant.

I usually embark on volcanoes, these sedimentary layers are foreign :-P

Bronze.... I musta read a forum post about minimal embarks and forgot half.

I had gone to embark and loaded a saved embark profile , one i have used many time, but this time it said i did not have enought points and kicked off several items, thereby causing me to scoff "picks? Bah, i'll make my own!"

Do certain places alter ur allotted points or the values? Never noticed...
Some civs don't have access to some materials or prefer certain styles to others (low boots instead of high boots). If you find your short of embark points its usually bc your civ does not have iron. So it gives you steel anvils instead which cost 3x as much. how they have steel but not iron l'll never know...

I once did exactly what the OP did when I was first starting, but I brought sphalerite instead of cassitierite. Much less inconvenient since I just had to live with copper and useless zinc instead of bronze.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 07:55:35 pm »

Nay, I say.

Zinc is not useless, it makes precious valuable brass! For profitsss!
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 01:45:05 am »

Tons of Gold+Copper+Marble sounds like every nonsedimentary embark ever, tbh.

Yeah like the last 5 or 6 embarks I did.  Finally found a decent site with iron and coal for a good change of pace.

Once you learn to get by without it, though, having all the steel you could ever want just lying around in a map starts to feel a little too easy, though. 

I like having to make do with bronze and making steel a special treat I only get from carefully hoarding the goblinite and trading for flux (although I often wind up with marble, anyway).

My biggest fort was gold and tetrahedrite (both relatively deep too), so it's not like I don't know how to deal with just copper.  It's more like after that big game and experimenting with volcanoes and stuff I got tired of looking at various types of igneous and metamorphic layers.  So much microcline....  Even my new map which starts with some sedimentary layers hits microcline lower down.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath
Pages: 1 [2]