Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: creating a good source of water  (Read 5159 times)

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: creating a good source of water
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 02:48:03 pm »

Standard use?  Really?  I always plan more dwarfy ways to control flow.  The only time I've used it is in my current fort to depressurize magma and returning it to its natural unrealistic state.

It still bothers me though.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 02:49:59 pm »

I have a few designs I use for hospital cisterns, though the principles can be applied to any other artificial water source:

"F" stands for floodgate, "D" is diagonal pressure reducer, "H" is hospital (including wells), and "S" is screw pump.
The cistern doesn't have to be right next to the water source; I just put it there for convenience.
The first design fills the fastest, but is prone to flooding and restricts the placement of the cistern somewhat.  It is, however, easily made safe from building destroyers by creating a "bend" in the pipe and adding a floor grate.
The second design is less prone to flooding, and the pressure reducer can be combined with the first design to allow for more flexible placement.  It will fill more slowly than the first design, however; this can be circumvented by making the inlet and pressure reducer wider.
The third design is really just an extension of the second.  The use of a screw pump allows for more complete control over the water, though it makes BD-proofing slightly more complicated:
Code: [Select]
RIVER
X~~~~F~XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXX~XG~~XXX %%~  -> to cistern
XXXXXX~X~X~X~D~XXX
XXXXXX~~~X~~~XXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

X = Wall
F = Floodgate/Fortification
G = (floor) Grate
D = Diagonal pressure reducer
%% = screw pump
~ = water
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Old-Man-Gator

• Bay Watcher
  • Pickled Prawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 04:12:57 pm »

I always put a fortification in my water tunnels too, just near the reservoir area usually.

I think it hearkens back to the old one z-level days.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 04:28:49 pm »

Standard use?  Really?  I always plan more dwarfy ways to control flow.  The only time I've used it is in my current fort to depressurize magma and returning it to its natural unrealistic state.

With the way water pressure is implemented, it seems clear to me at least that the diagonal bends are an intended feature.  I also think they're a pretty great tool for fine-tuning the speed at which water flows.  If you have pumped/pressurized water and you want to flow at a particular rate, you can add or remove diagonal bends (in parallel) to increase or decrease the speed of flow.  To further slow it, add diagnonal bends in sequence.  You can add pressure plate and door linkages in the holes to further fine tune.  If you just go with pressure plates, you get tiles of water being smashed and lots of mechanics being turned on and off every few frames.  The uses are general, but in particular I've found them excellent for dwarven showers // mist generators and water-pushing traps.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 02:44:10 pm »

With the way water pressure is implemented, it seems clear to me at least that the diagonal bends are an intended feature.  I also think they're a pretty great tool for fine-tuning the speed at which water flows.  If you have pumped/pressurized water and you want to flow at a particular rate, you can add or remove diagonal bends (in parallel) to increase or decrease the speed of flow.  To further slow it, add diagnonal bends in sequence.  You can add pressure plate and door linkages in the holes to further fine tune.  If you just go with pressure plates, you get tiles of water being smashed and lots of mechanics being turned on and off every few frames.  The uses are general, but in particular I've found them excellent for dwarven showers // mist generators and water-pushing traps.

I don't know if diagonal pressure-reducers are an "intended feature" so much as a natural byproduct of the way water flows.  Water pressure in DF is really weird (and doesn't technically exist; again, it's weird), and DPRs are no more so.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2012, 07:08:53 pm »

Another thing you can do with diagonal pressure is to create a pressure nozzle. They are, however, vulnerable to building destroyers.

Code: [Select]
#####
##.##
..X..
##.##
#####

#: Wall, X: Floodgate, .: Empty space

I'm using this setup in combination with Gizogin's third diagram to fill my cisterns. I've actually got two nozzles on the first segment: One right under the brook to allow my miner to escape safely while the nozzle on the other end was added to allow a dwarf to manually power the pump so that my early farms would get irrigated properly.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2012, 07:12:58 pm »

Another thing you can do with diagonal pressure is to create a pressure nozzle. They are, however, vulnerable to building destroyers.

That's a clever design.  Any reason a raising bridge wouldn't work as well, while remaining impervious to a BD?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2012, 07:45:44 pm »

That's a clever design.  Any reason a raising bridge wouldn't work as well, while remaining impervious to a BD?

I don't see why it wouldn't.

Another option is that you can dig a ramp up underneath a brook and not break the surface. The floodgate would still technically be vulnerable, but the dangerous route is cut off (If BDs make it all the way through the rest of your fort and reach your plumbing, you're probably already fucked).

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2012, 09:22:31 pm »

with the diagonal water tunnel thing being a cheat:

if you imagine it as a real wall, then the water will be seeping between cracks of the two almost-aligned walls.
with such a small opening, the water will still flow, but slowly, thus resulting in a drop in pressure

thus, as i can imagine such a system easily working in real life, i'm not sure how that can be considered cheating

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2012, 09:56:18 pm »

I don't see why it wouldn't.

Another option is that you can dig a ramp up underneath a brook and not break the surface. The floodgate would still technically be vulnerable, but the dangerous route is cut off (If BDs make it all the way through the rest of your fort and reach your plumbing, you're probably already fucked).
This is what I do.  Ramp up into the bottom of a brook.  If I'm feeling paranoid, or have plenty of time, I'll add a fortifcation just after the ramp (going from brook to cistern).  Next is a pressure reducer to avoid pressure-induced flooding ... just in case.  At the diagnonal, on teh cistern side, I install a safety shutoff floodgate; when open, depressurized water flows through, when closed no water flows.  Then the long passage to my cistern.  Just before the cistern is a second floodgate, also a safety shutoff (on a different lever from the first).  Two tiles over is the main floodgate, connected to a pressure plate at the bottom of the three z-level deep 3x3 cistern.  The pressure plate is set to trigger on 0 to 4 water, so I usually end up with just over 7/7 water in all tiles (normally 1/7 or 2/7 on the middle z-level). A third lever is installed purely to open the third floodgate so water can get to the pressure plate for normal control.  At the bottom of teh cistern I have a fourth floodgate attached to a fourth lever for draining the water into a 13x9 room.  I started doing this after three dwarves decided to dodge into teh well next to the barracks, the last two after I had filled it.  I wasn't able to retrieve those idiots dwarves equipment, so I've made sure to have  draining-and-evaporation chamber ever since.

___    \ ramp up to the underside of the brook
   X++++++X+X_^_    X floodgate, ^ pressure plate down 2 z-lv
\++          ___    + floor, _ 2-z drop to the bottom
       % % %        % levers for the floodgates, < stairs up
           <

I'm lazy, so I left all the walls out of the diagram.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
Pages: 1 [2]