Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "Disallowed moods in dwarves hauling animals"  (Read 4679 times)

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Disallowed moods in dwarves hauling animals"
« on: March 26, 2012, 10:51:16 pm »

Doesn't this line from toady's log imply that it might be possible to manipulate certain dwarves into moodiness by drowning every other dwarf in endless animal hauling jobs?  I.e. dig deep to trigger moodiness (enough digging=first fall mood), then as fall comes around assign animal hauling to everyone but say, the mason and carpenter, assign every animal to several pastures and enjoy a new legendary in a useful skill. Also far more children moods.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
Re: "Disallowed moods in dwarves hauling animals"
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 10:52:35 pm »

Hmm... Needs some testing, and I'm to lazy to do it.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 11:57:52 pm »

Well, you really can't, since 34.07 isn't out yet.

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 12:04:55 am »

Is there any particular reason Toady dissallowed moods in dwarves doing such a specific task?

I find it strange that he would have to implement such a specific restriction.
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 12:10:35 am »

I imagine its relating to retraining animals about to go wild and go on a killing spree. Suck to get a mood on the dwarf hauling a cave crawler to the animal training zone...

My impression, anyway.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 12:19:57 am »

Sounds like standard dwarven Workplace ethics and attention to detail "I better take this vicious tiger to the training place and reinforce his training lest he go nuts and......oooh i have a great idea for a shiny earring"*drops angry tiger in middle of meeting area*
Replace animal training with any job then replace mood with being scared of a gopher/needing a drink/would prefer to be standing around scratching butt.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 12:25:02 am »

It makes sense since that mood's completion might be a tad troubled by the rampaging jabberer going haywire on the distracted trainer
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 12:59:51 am »

Imagine all the hardwork to try and get your weaponsmith to mood, only to have him posessed instead and not earn the xp.

Makes me wonder Why he made the change though.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 01:04:18 am »

I don't know. Being stricken with an idea so powerful that you temporarily forget you're hauling a goblin axelord to the coliseum and run off to sew the best single silk glove ever made just seems so quintessentially dorfy that I'd rather it wasn't fixed.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 04:57:00 am »

May be impossible due to bugs:
0004072: Animal Hauling without job enabled http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=4072
0001937: Animal Hauler Caught in Loop When Hauling Out of Burrow http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1937
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 06:46:33 am »

I heard that when a dwarf that's hauling an animal goes into a mood it doesn't stop hauling the animal.  So the entire time it's in a mood it's still hauling the animal around, which can kill a grazer, or possibly gum up a butcher shop.  Though I don't know what happens when the mood ends, or even if it's true.

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 07:22:24 am »

I don't know. Being stricken with an idea so powerful that you temporarily forget you're hauling a goblin axelord to the coliseum and run off to sew the best single silk glove ever made just seems so quintessentially dorfy that I'd rather it wasn't fixed.

Thought goblins were enemies, not animals. My bad.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 07:33:27 am »

I'm no expert on this but I'm pretty sure that Dwarves use "animal handling" too tansport prisoners to and fo.

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 07:40:00 am »

I dunno, have yet to do so, and not sure there would be something to indicate what is as i tebd to hsve many *hauler* dorfs

Vharuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 11:54:19 am »

I don't think this will work.  Pretty sure that, in one of the QA threads, Toady himself gave a brief overview of how moods occur.  Apparently, every so often the game goes through each dwarf, sees if that dwarf is capable of entering a mood (e.g., hasn't already made an artifact, and now isn't handling an animal), and then the game randomly decides if that dwarf enters a mood or not.  So the game doesn't decide that "some dwarf is going to enter a mood," only "this dwarf enters a mood."

So if all your bad-mood-skilled dwarves are constantly hauling animals, you can cut down on the number of bad artifacts.  But it shouldn't affect when any other dwarves enter a mood.
Pages: [1] 2