Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My dwarves have The Sight  (Read 4343 times)

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My dwarves have The Sight
« on: March 26, 2012, 07:25:44 pm »

I just got a new artifact!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh, that reminds me! I had another artifact several months ago and never got around to reading its description!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As you can see, the wooden blowgun has an image of the gold boot on it, despite the fact that the boot didn't exist at the time that the blowgun was made.

...what?
[Signature]

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My dwarves have The Sight
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 07:37:42 pm »

I've seen it happen many times. Artifact gets created with random decorations, later on another artifact gets created, and the random decorations on the first one turn into descriptions of the second one. I've heard theories that all artifact references get generated at the start of play, and decorations get added with references, like "a description of the fourth artifact, or an image of pigs" and so you get an image of pigs until the fourth artifact gets created. People who savescum report that artifacts will always have the same name and get made around the same time but may turn out to be totally different. That's about all I know.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 07:51:28 pm »

It seems to me like each dwarf has the artifact in their mind long before they make it and when an artifact is being made the decorations randomly choose all artifacts that are already existing including those that haven't been made yet.
Nobody knows how far beforehand an artifact is determined though.
It could be generated 6 months earlier,  It could be generated when a rirst migrates, it could be generated as soon as a dwarf is born/created in worldgen.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 08:14:58 pm »

AFAIK the artifact's description is generated when you view it for the first time (there is even a tiny bit of lag depending on your fort and world). Most people view the artifacts immediately so they don't notice this effect. However, if you delay viewing the artifact then you may get what the OP has.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 09:01:53 pm »

AFAIK the artifact's description is generated when you view it for the first time (there is even a tiny bit of lag depending on your fort and world). Most people view the artifacts immediately so they don't notice this effect. However, if you delay viewing the artifact then you may get what the OP has.

Do you know if it's on the bug tracker already?
[Signature]

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 09:37:51 pm »

I wonder...Does that mean that there is a list of pre-generated artifacts somewhere hidden in the region raws?
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 10:54:54 pm »

Hey, guess what I just saw on the bug tracker?

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=3640

Summary   0003640:
Engraved slab contains mention artifact not created

Description   
One of my dwarves went to mood, but was unable to finish it and went mad. After some time the dwarf died, and I made a stone slab for her. After engraving and construction of the slab I checked it, and the slab contains the following:

This is a superior quality limestone memorial to Erith Olondatur.
 The Slab reads "In memory of Erith Olodatur / b:78 d:153 / Creator of The Decline of Shell / United with dacite".

So, even though the artifact was never finished the game included her as the creator of that artifact.

Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

BackgroundGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 11:05:00 pm »

Hey, guess what I just saw on the bug tracker?

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=3640

Summary   0003640:
Engraved slab contains mention artifact not created

Description   
One of my dwarves went to mood, but was unable to finish it and went mad. After some time the dwarf died, and I made a stone slab for her. After engraving and construction of the slab I checked it, and the slab contains the following:

This is a superior quality limestone memorial to Erith Olondatur.
 The Slab reads "In memory of Erith Olodatur / b:78 d:153 / Creator of The Decline of Shell / United with dacite".

So, even though the artifact was never finished the game included her as the creator of that artifact.

I don't think that's the same phenomenon.  This thread seems to be about how a dwarf creates an artifact, that has a picture of something that doesn't exist yet.  That seems to be the dwarves mourning a potential artifact after the potential creator probably screamed it's name all around the fort.  That's my input anyway.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 11:08:43 pm »

I wonder...Does that mean that there is a list of pre-generated artifacts somewhere hidden in the region raws?

Well... not necessarily. It seems to me like it just generated the artifact when I looked at it and didn't cull pictures that couldn't possibly be on it.
[Signature]

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 11:19:54 pm »

I don't think that's the same phenomenon.  This thread seems to be about how a dwarf creates an artifact, that has a picture of something that doesn't exist yet.  That seems to be the dwarves mourning a potential artifact after the potential creator probably screamed it's name all around the fort.  That's my input anyway.

The artifact in question on the tombstone never existed at all, but is still referenced.  The "probably screamed it's name all around the fort" game mechanic does not exist, as dwarves do not convey information of anything but reporting crimes and dead bodies, and it says "Creator of", not "Would-be creator of". 

The notion that each dwarf has an artifact already associated with them before they ever make it gets more credence with this point.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 11:22:20 pm »

I don't know for certain what's going on, but my very first artifact in my current world has an image of another artifact. Are artifacts created in worldgen? Or do I need to find a hunk of hornblende to prevent a temporal paradox?
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 11:25:31 pm »

Pitchplende, but i don't know how you'll get that +steel wagon+ up to 88 UpU even when you get 1.21 Uristwhats? out of your Dwarven water reactor.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 11:34:43 pm »

Pitchplende, but i don't know how you'll get that +steel wagon+ up to 88 UpU even when you get 1.21 Uristwhats? out of your Dwarven water reactor.

Brilliant, mind if I sig that?
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 11:46:16 pm »

The artifact in question on the tombstone never existed at all, but is still referenced.  The "probably screamed it's name all around the fort" game mechanic does not exist, as dwarves do not convey information of anything but reporting crimes and dead bodies, and it says "Creator of", not "Would-be creator of". 

The notion that each dwarf has an artifact already associated with them before they ever make it gets more credence with this point.

Nope, Possessed dwarves mutter the name of the artifact while working on it.

Save scum before a dwarf gets a mood, and a (usually different) dwarf is randomly selected for the strange mood.
Save scum after a dwarf has begun construction, and the end product of the mood is sometimes different (but the name of the artifact is the same). Sometimes different, because the weaponsmith who likes steel and axes often makes an artifact steel axe.

I'd suggest that the artifact name is created and assigned to the dwarf at the start of the mood, regardless of mood success.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 11:52:44 pm »

Brilliant, mind if I sig that?
Go ahead, but now i have to draw a dwarf inside a wooden delorean with a Chihuahua wearing a labcoat and a girly hat sitting beside him, and somekinda magma filled flux capacitor.... and Plump helmet spawn.
Pages: [1] 2