Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coal in 34.05?  (Read 5773 times)

shadus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Coal in 34.05?
« on: March 26, 2012, 04:05:41 pm »

Anyone else having issues finding coal in 34.05?  I'm having major issues finding coal in worlds genned 34.05... I know the typical tricks, its in sed layers, it's veins, not near volcano's, etc.  I just had a large world where i went through over 500 embark sites with sed layers with dfhack prospect and found 0 lig or bit coal (and embarked on a dozen or so to ensure dfhack wasn't misreading.)  I'm remaking the world currently in case it's just a glitch, but this is actually the second world I've come up poorly on for coal since 34... so is it just me or is this something anyone else is experiencing?

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
Re: Coal in 34.05?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 04:16:01 pm »

I can confirm that I have found both types of coal in 34.05 worlds without modifications.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 04:17:56 pm »

What mineral scarcity settings are you using? Also, you do realize that dfhack lists coal separately from other metals, and that you need to use "prospect all," right?

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 04:24:04 pm »

I'm not having any problems..
What I think we're saying is we need dwarves to riot and break things more often.

Vanaheimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 04:26:33 pm »

The fort I started earlier is currently swimming in massive amounts of both lignite and bituminous coal. Good thing too, after making some beds I had about 3 trees left on the map.

shadus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 04:28:17 pm »

I'm currently using "frequent" as my mineral scarcity... and yeah, I've used dfhack's prospect (prospect all) in the past with other versions fine and found coal easily.

I'm bout to load up my new world and see how the coal situation looks... last two were large, this one is medium... maybe that's making some kind of difference.

Found coal on the medium in 2 checks on embark location... maybe an issue with the large gens?  Any of those commenting they have it currently using large worlds?

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 04:49:05 pm »

I also can confirm the presence of bituminous coal and lignite on large (25x257) worlds. I have genned worlds with mineral scarcity from 100 to 1250 (as high as I go) and found some coal on all of them where I was specifically looking for coal, although recently I have been playing "play it as it lies" style and not looking for anything specific. Nothing beats the frustration of "I can't find X!" better than "But I don't actually need X!" For instance my current fort has only copper, no coal, and a little sphalerite and garnierite. My drop pits, serrated copper disks, menacing copper spikes and cage traps can easily take care of any hostile. My stacks of masterwork quarry bush roasts will clean out entire caravans, and I only have to haul three or four items to the depot.

Remember, dig deep enough and you will find magma and candy on every single embark. You really don't need coal as much as you think you do.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 06:24:32 pm »

Uh.... except for steel?
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 06:30:40 pm »

I'm currently using "frequent" as my mineral scarcity... and yeah, I've used dfhack's prospect (prospect all) in the past with other versions fine and found coal easily.

I'm bout to load up my new world and see how the coal situation looks... last two were large, this one is medium... maybe that's making some kind of difference.

Found coal on the medium in 2 checks on embark location... maybe an issue with the large gens?  Any of those commenting they have it currently using large worlds?

Large world, coal out the wazoo in 36.06.

The RNG merely hates you.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 06:31:47 pm »

Remember, dig deep enough and you will find magma and candy on every single embark
Pedantic, but it's possible to not get any candy whatsoever on a 2x2 embark. Somewhat rare though (~60% chance of at least 1 spire in worst conditions, iirc).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 07:31:34 pm »

Yes, but, my point is you don't need any given thing. You can play without steel. You can play without candy. I used to be the guy who had to have coal and flux and steel and candy and magma in order to be happy. Finding out I don't really need any of that stuff has been liberating. Oh noes, copper is teh suckiest metal, but you know what? It kills things. For that matter a cave in trap made of wood or mud or fracking kitten soap will kill anything in the game.

arphen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 07:35:42 pm »

Yes, but, my point is you don't need any given thing. You can play without steel. You can play without candy. I used to be the guy who had to have coal and flux and steel and candy and magma in order to be happy. Finding out I don't really need any of that stuff has been liberating. Oh noes, copper is teh suckiest metal, but you know what? It kills things. For that matter a cave in trap made of wood or mud or fracking kitten soap will kill anything in the game.
+1
i'm on a glacier volcano at the moment and my dwarves just dont stop dying, i dont have water or even iron ore.
i have like tiny veins of copper, no dfhack and i love this game

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 07:55:26 pm »

My problem was reverse, several world's, lots of embarks each world, 0.31, never any coal. 0.34,it's everywhere.

Good luck :p
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

CursedBurger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 08:27:34 pm »

The

The slogan of my current fort (third sedimentary-layer fort with no iron or coal) is "How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love the Bronze."