Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which type of world maps do you like to Gen?

Small (17x17 to 66x66)
Large (129x129 to 257x257)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Small vs Large World Maps  (Read 3723 times)

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
Re: Small vs Large World Maps
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 04:03:23 am »

Even a pocket region generally has a few choice embarks, since I gneerally throw a world away after I finish with a fort big worlds don't matter. If I do set aside time to gen a large world I let it build up a decent history and then I use it several times.
Ah, but as of .34.6 there's a new reason to start multiple forts on the same world: teaching your parent civ about new tameable animals.
Also, unless you want to get into all that advanced worldgen stuff, a larger world might mean less infighting between megabeasts, ensuring there's enough ‼Fun‼ left for you in the world, right? Typically, a (.34.4 IIRC) Smaller world with ~200 years of history will have entered an Age of <Civ> or even Age of Twilight.

Is there any solid ‼Science‼ on large worlds not hurting your FPS, by the way?
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 04:06:59 am »

Small ftw. Or maybe medium. Large worlds just are too slow to gen.

Especially that I now play with temperature on at all times.

luppolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 05:02:20 am »

don't bloat your save games.

this

1.32 gb for a world is no joke

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 06:35:43 am »

Hi!

Usually, I have been working with MEDIUM worlds in the past, but I am a bit concerned about speed and also about the possibility of crashes due to the 2GB limit. I like to gen worlds with at least 256 years of history, preferably 369 years or if I feel lucky 512. Thus, I have now started to explore SMALL worlds. At the same time, I have started to experiment with meshes and have found them to be quite a nice tool.

As for diversity, I think the SMALL worlds are not necessarily that much impoverished as compared to other, larger worlds. Here are the links to maps of two SMALL worlds I have genned: Zuza Tosm, which I created in several variants as I liked the geography and wanted to try different civ and monster setups, and Minbazkar, a world I am currently exploring in adventure mode. In both worlds, I have seen a fair amount of variance of terrains available for fortress mode (Zuza Tosm was originally genned as a fortress mode world, but I got enthralled by its layout).

Yours,
Deathworks

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 06:43:01 am »

Does a larger world affect FPS or just save time?

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 06:45:57 am »

Hi!

Does a larger world affect FPS or just save time?

At least in previous versions, I had actually witnessed considerable loss of FPS when using really large worlds. However, I often create large forests/mountain chains etc. to get a lot of history for dwarves to engrave, so it might actually have been more the size of the biome(s) involved rather than the entire world.

Yours,
Deathworks

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 09:55:03 pm »

this

Sheesh, my largest save game is 10MB, so far.  And I thought that was big!

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2012, 11:18:38 am »

Ya, just in the hundreds of megabytes tops here... after a few forts. It might be allot better in the newer versions with better save compression etc...
I voted for BANANA!

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2012, 12:11:51 pm »

74.5 MB on disk for my current 34.06 fortress, settled on a customized medium world.  This is in year 1059.

Edit:  That is the entire directory for the save.  The save file itself is 58.5 MB.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2012, 12:16:14 pm »

I always gen large worlds but my most recent one, 1050 years history, was unplayable in cities as an adventurer on account of I guess the ridiculous amount of crap and animal men in the sewers...

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2012, 12:26:23 pm »

I always gen large worlds but my most recent one, 1050 years history, was unplayable in cities as an adventurer on account of I guess the ridiculous amount of crap and animal men in the sewers...

Dunno if toady fixed it, but there is (was) a bug (in 34.01-2) that in major cities with allot of historical figures it lags pretty bad. That's entirely based on number of historical figures living in a single area, nothing to do with map size in adventure mode. But AFAIK it only lagged in the keeps, not in the sewers themselves... so that could be entirely unrelated. I ran into this once, stayed out of the major cities with big keeps if I could from then on.
I voted for BANANA!

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2012, 12:33:49 pm »

Dunno if toady fixed it, but there is (was) a bug (in 34.01-2) that in major cities with allot of historical figures it lags pretty bad. That's entirely based on number of historical figures living in a single area, nothing to do with map size in adventure mode. But AFAIK it only lagged in the keeps, not in the sewers themselves... so that could be entirely unrelated. I ran into this once, stayed out of the major cities with big keeps if I could from then on.

Aaaaaaah, this is probably it as the lag was unbearable. Truly unbearable.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2012, 12:45:51 pm »

Pocket region.

For me at least, pockets run far faster, for far longer. I just had my first turkey die of old age. I usually abandon before that from FPS murder.

I'll gen a large world if I'm wanting to do multiple forts, otherwise I'll gen a half dozen pocket worlds to find the particular embark I'm looking for this time, and delete them all when I'm done.

2x2 embarks, unless I find a volcano within a couple tiles of an ocean. Then I'll do a narrow strip so I can include both (What can I say? I like oceans and I like volcanoes). :p
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2012, 03:58:03 pm »

I'm usually really picky about embark locations-- lately, looking for good biomes bordering evil biomes bordering large, preferably evil, bodies of water.  (What I really want is the above, AND with interesting elevations on the above-water biomes.)  Even on a 256x256 region, these are hard to find.  Genning a big region of course takes more time, but I don't think it takes any more time than genning 16 64x64 regions (same amount of land area) and requires fewer keystrokes.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

telamon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2012, 04:43:31 pm »

this

Sheesh, my largest save game is 10MB, so far.  And I thought that was big!

my full installation of DF, with FIVE large 300-year worlds pregenned (one being played) was 2.5GB. i personally do not mind; i'd only be worried if DF got up to like 7GB or more. =P although dayum @ a 1.32GB world. that really is impressive.
Playing DF on Windows 98 since.... ?
At 55 frames per minute.
Pages: 1 [2]