Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which type of world maps do you like to Gen?

Small (17x17 to 66x66)
Large (129x129 to 257x257)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Small vs Large World Maps  (Read 3726 times)

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Small vs Large World Maps
« on: March 26, 2012, 12:33:05 pm »

I prefer large region world maps 257x257 with a 2x2 elevation mesh (less mountain ranges), huge variance in volcanism, medium variances in everything else. 1000 erosion.

To me, they save and gen about the same as the medium ones. Small ones don't give me enough variety in embark options and seem cramped for sites/civilizations and monsters. I have never noticed world size to bother FPS... that's all been embark size and Z-levels above the surface plain (huge mountains lag). I prefer small 3x3 embarks usually. It takes me about 20-40 mins to generate a 500 year old 257x257. I usually go with 1000 sites, and 25 civs.

Before the trolls jump down my throat, yes this has been discussed many times (in a thousand different none congruent threads), but there has never been a thread specifically for it. Search "small vs large world" in this sub-forum and you got zero results previously. ("small vs large", came up with a bunch, but none specific enough to easily find).
I voted for BANANA!

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
Re: Small vs Large World Maps
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 12:37:39 pm »

I prefer larger worlds, but the truncated history and lack of reproducibility of Large Regions in 34.x has made me drop back to medium.  Smaller worlds don't have enough variety of starting places and civilizations for me.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 12:45:18 pm »

I also prefer large maps.
However world gen takes too long time for me to bother,
so I usually settle for medium.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 01:03:18 pm by Ultimuh »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 12:50:42 pm »

Even a pocket region generally has a few choice embarks, since I gneerally throw a world away after I finish with a fort big worlds don't matter. If I do set aside time to gen a large world I let it build up a decent history and then I use it several times.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 12:57:17 pm »

I usually do a custom world gen based off of the large region default. 900 year history as well. Nice mix of sites and plenty of necromancers and vampires. With fully growing semi megabeasts but still al decent number of forgotten beasts about. I also usually up cave amount and sizes to this end as well.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 01:02:19 pm »

I also prefer large maps.
However world gen takes too lomng time for me to bother,
so I usually settle for medium.

seconded
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 02:07:49 pm »

I'd choose medium even if all world types could be genned instantly. I tend to up evil + good regions by a bit and I've found that medium gives enough room to have variety while still having memorable places. I've found that large is far too big to be realistically explored in an adventurer's lifetime, and small tends to be too cramped to get what you want. I'd love a custom option for sizes though I'm aware of the issues associated with that.

Ideally I'd play between small and medium, but between the two I'm definately going with medium.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 02:08:42 pm »

Depends, really.

If I'm running a test fort or just want a few comfortable spots to screw around in, I'll go for a smaller world. If I'm in the mood to explore, dig through the Legends, and build up a legacy over the course of several fortresses/adventures, I'll take the time to gen up a larger one.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 03:19:49 pm »

Large is my default world size. Gives me more room to stay on one world for longer, and generally I only make pocket worlds to science or severely mess with the game.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 03:21:42 pm »

I've recently starting genning my worlds at 65x65, as opposed to 257x257, it makes a hell of a speed difference without sacrificing diversity.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

telamon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 03:25:37 pm »

I always generate maps in perfectworldDF, so honestly I could function on any map size - perfectworld ensures plenty of variation of terrain and I know what it's going to look like before I start generating. However for maximum variety I always gen on 257x257. I honestly couldn't care less how long worldgen takes as long as it finishes "eventually"; I leave my computer on for 3 days straight during the weekends anyway and worldgen typically doesn't take more than 6hrs on my comp for 750 year history in my giant worlds.

Basically what it boils down to for me is that a little world just doesn't have enough STUFF in it for me, and I can live with any time cost incurred in genning a bigger world, so why not
Playing DF on Windows 98 since.... ?
At 55 frames per minute.

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 10:52:56 pm »

I always generate maps in perfectworldDF, so honestly I could function on any map size - perfectworld ensures plenty of variation of terrain and I know what it's going to look like before I start generating. However for maximum variety I always gen on 257x257. I honestly couldn't care less how long worldgen takes as long as it finishes "eventually"; I leave my computer on for 3 days straight during the weekends anyway and worldgen typically doesn't take more than 6hrs on my comp for 750 year history in my giant worlds.

Basically what it boils down to for me is that a little world just doesn't have enough STUFF in it for me, and I can live with any time cost incurred in genning a bigger world, so why not

This is great advice, perfect world stops you from having to run 8 gens to get something "pretty" not that you cant just hack a great world with tons of embarks out without it (in fact I think everyone should learn a bit about doing it this way so they understand what the numbers mean and what biomes will go were), but it sure beautifies the whole experience ) Also for those sedimentary volcano's... :)
I voted for BANANA!

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 11:01:09 pm »

Medium. Diversity without too much.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 03:36:48 am »

257x129 for me (wider than it is taller always forget which is which).  I try as much as possible to stick multiple forts on one world even though it rarely works out that way, and while I don't ever end up adventuring there's a thought in my mind that I'd really like to.  So I basically make big maps based on wishful thinking.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 03:40:18 am »

Small.

No real benefit to large worlds as far as I can tell, besides being easier to find the exact spot you want without multiple world gens. Smaller worlds take less time to generate, are more likely to have necromancer towers in range of wherever you build, and don't bloat your save games.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: [1] 2