Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best way to teach the Dwarves to swim?  (Read 1505 times)

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
Best way to teach the Dwarves to swim?
« on: March 26, 2012, 12:06:38 pm »

I like fisherdwarves and rivers, because they supply infinite amount of fresh water and food. However, dwarves tend to fall into the rivers and then drown. I'd like to teach my dwarves to swim, so they have higher chances of surviving should they fall.

Now, I was planning filling a dining hall/statue garden/ etc. with flowing water, which would both keep them clean, and teach them swim. How well would this turn out? Would the dogs and cats drown? How deep does the water need to be to train the simming ability?

I wanted to have that little ramp down there so all the filth would be there, where the dwarves wouldn't (I heard that scum and blood and such doesn't go trough grates)
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Best way to teach the Dwarves to swim?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 12:11:26 pm »

Contamination goes through wall grates when pushed by water.  So do dwarves.  Wall grates aren't safe to prevent dwarves from getting washed away.  Use floor grates instead. 

My forced swimming training scheme used a floor surrounded by floor grates over the drain.  A meeting zone is placed in the middle.  Overhead is a chamber with a retracting bridge for a floor.  A supply of water gradually fills the chamber, eventually triggering a pressure plate to open the bridge and dump the water on the dwarves.  The water would drain out through the floor grates fast enough for none of the dwarves to drown.

This trained the dwarves in swimming, gave them good thoughts from waterfall mist, and washed blood and other contamination off them.  On the downside, severe FPS drops whenever it activated, and 'dangerous terrain' message spam.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 12:12:29 pm »

That setup will wash your dwarves down the ramp and probably through the grate if the water gets to 7/7. Probably not what you want.

Most systems for training swimming start with the room empty and then flood it to something like 4/7 and let the dwarves soak for a bit, then drain the water through floor grates. Kind of like a dwarven washing mashing, only no spin cycle.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 12:17:11 pm »

Huh, I see. Well, I'll scrap that idea and work on a shower or something. Thanks for the info.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 12:37:37 pm »

you want 4/7. It's ideal. I wouldn't recommend allowing unlimited water flow, since there will be risk of 7/7 (drowning). You can use pressure plates and something like an airlock to reduce volume. but dwarves will be very hesitant to walk into any swimable situation, hence, most people just dump water on them when they aren't expecting it. Also, water movement is hard on FPS and mist is the worst.

My forced swimming training scheme used a floor surrounded by floor grates over the drain.  A meeting zone is placed in the middle.  Overhead is a chamber with a retracting bridge for a floor.  A supply of water gradually fills the chamber, eventually triggering a pressure plate to open the bridge and dump the water on the dwarves.  The water would drain out through the floor grates fast enough for none of the dwarves to drown.
I had something like this once in an outside statue garden, but I quickly dismantled it when winter hit... you can guess why. I never found any remains of that poor weaponsmith.