Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drainage Error  (Read 793 times)

MuseOD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Drainage Error
« on: March 26, 2012, 10:31:59 am »

I have a large problem. So, I diverted a river so it passed on the front of my fortress and successfully dammed it on both sides. How do I get out the water? I will probably need to do this very quickly and efficiently, and most probably internally, or at least protected on three sides. Any ideas? I already cut a room next to the water for it to flow into.

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Drainage Error
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 10:54:15 am »

Dig to the map edge (in a stone layer) and then smooth and carve fortifications into the edge square. Provide a flowpath from your drainage to said map edge and the water should drain away to nothingness.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 10:56:14 am »

I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about... but if you've got a river you've got infinite water, so your drainage comes to two basic options: Atom Smashing, and Map's Edge.

To atom smash the water, just instal a floodgate or door or bridge in the area.  You can then open and close it, any water occupying the tile will disappear.  Bridges can be used to take out huge swathes of water at once, but may also destroy any items that are in the water.  Conversly, floodgates don't destroy items, but will jam if there's an item.

To drain, you dig down to stone layer, then to the map's edge, and smooth and carve it.  You can't dig out the edge stone, but you can carve a fortification and this lets fluid drain off the edge of the map safely.  You then hook up the drainage tunnel to the area that needs to be drained, my favorite way is controlled cave-in of constructed floors to punch a hole.

MuseOD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 10:57:56 am »

thank you! I was expecting somethhing about pump stacks tho.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 11:05:05 am »

Generally pump stacks are for applying water to an area.  Removing water from an area requires digging.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 12:03:47 pm »

Generally pump stacks are for applying water to an area.  Removing water from an area requires digging.

Well, a pump stack into a closed space could do it. Pumps will keep pumping into filled spaces, right? They just pressurise it, don't they?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 12:08:11 pm »

Well, a pump stack into a closed space could do it. Pumps will keep pumping into filled spaces, right? They just pressurise it, don't they?
It doesn't work that way. Once 7/7 water is in a pump's exit tile, pumps will no longer remove any from their intake tile. "Pressure" doesn't mean that more water is compressed into an area, but that water can teleport downwards through other water to find openings to go into. If it has nowhere to go, water won't go anywhere.

Pumping is basically only useful for water removal if you're trying to save the water or if you're pumping it into an infinite water sink. My waterfall-and-lake combination is stopped from flooding by a pump stack that pumps into an aquifer, for instance, but if the aquifer wasn't there it wouldn't work.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

MuseOD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 04:45:18 pm »

ohk. thanks  :D

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 05:20:33 pm »

Code: [Select]
  ###
~%%X#ó
   ##
Set your lever on repeat.  this will trigger the floodgate repeatedly and atom-smash water.  Requires one pump, two dwarves, and a handful of stones.  I use this to empty murky pools before paving them over, although this has become less of an issue now that ramps exist.