Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What do you think dwarf fortress be like in the future?  (Read 5822 times)

Mercur1c

• Bay Watcher
  • Chlorid3
    • View Profile
What do you think dwarf fortress be like in the future?
« on: March 26, 2012, 05:29:26 am »

Post your ideas here.

I think that dwarves will gain conscience, and try to invade our world. Like tiny, alcoholic, bearded, terminators.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think dwarf fortress be like in the future?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 07:15:37 am »

Dwarven Magma-Powered Space Battlecarriers. With any/all features between now and then.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 07:41:57 am »

Divebombing on elven settlements with multiple marksdwarves mounted on armored giant eagles, the giant eagles carrying naphta incendiary bombs as well, razing the whole forest retreat and making bonfires and lighting them with elf corpses and wood, and after coming back to the fortress (which WILL open it's whole steam-powered ceiling via lever for the giant eagle landing), getting cheered by the whole fortress.

AND IT WILL BE GLORIOUS.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 07:43:34 am by Naryar »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 01:18:09 pm »

DF will be run on super computers, with embarks spanning over the entire world.

I think that dwarves will gain conscience, and try to invade our world. Like tiny, alcoholic, bearded, terminators.

Then this happens.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 02:49:44 pm »

It'll be a damned sight faster because we'll be running it on a quantum computer.

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 03:12:42 pm »

In the future, we'll have a division of players with dwarf fortress.

The purists, who play it only "As the great Toad intended."
The dreamers, who see it as a platform for infinite experiences and story telling.
The creators, who mod it much to the chagrin of the purists.

These three factions will make up the vast majority of the world, with the wars that spring up mediated by the dreams who regulary cite that "we are all beneficiaries of his grace and glory", though they will regularly be frowned upon and badgered to join a side under threat of immersion in magma.

There shall be a fourth faction too, those who follow the great works of the Meta-Toad and via logic gates created with fluid flows and the like, millions of constantly shifting windows that change colour based on the power running to them, will play Human Town within Dwarf Fortress.
They will be too busy to take part in this petty war, as the Meta-Toad has them hooked, waiting for the next release with the promise that they'll be able to have more than 'fifty humans on site at once', with 'their own distinct personalities' without suffering from the inevitable FPS death.
They too though, shall eventually be divided into 'Town Mode' and 'Quest Mode' followers.

And so the cycle will continue.

Urist McDagger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 04:34:34 pm »

In the future, we'll have a division of players with dwarf fortress.

The purists, who play it only "As the great Toad intended."
The dreamers, who see it as a platform for infinite experiences and story telling.
The creators, who mod it much to the chagrin of the purists.

These three factions will make up the vast majority of the world, with the wars that spring up mediated by the dreams who regulary cite that "we are all beneficiaries of his grace and glory", though they will regularly be frowned upon and badgered to join a side under threat of immersion in magma.

There shall be a fourth faction too, those who follow the great works of the Meta-Toad and via logic gates created with fluid flows and the like, millions of constantly shifting windows that change colour based on the power running to them, will play Human Town within Dwarf Fortress.
They will be too busy to take part in this petty war, as the Meta-Toad has them hooked, waiting for the next release with the promise that they'll be able to have more than 'fifty humans on site at once', with 'their own distinct personalities' without suffering from the inevitable FPS death.
They too though, shall eventually be divided into 'Town Mode' and 'Quest Mode' followers.

And so the cycle will continue.

That... was beautiful. :')
You wouldn't rush Goya or Faulkner or Tarantino. Think about Toady as equal to those artists. And then deal with it.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 06:25:30 pm »

Well, if it's going to be this optimistic in here, someone has to rain on the parade...

It'll be pretty much the same thing, with a few more feature updates that people lose interest in quickly after getting them (especially since most of them will be for Adventurer Mode, or will be creatures whose weaknesses are thoroughly exploited and weaponized until boredom sets in), and people will still be looking at the devpages drooling over the possible glory if everything could ever be fully implemented.

The people that have been around the longest will complain more about how much better the game was with their favorite bugs and exploits still around, and how there is "too much magic" and "too much realism" at the same time.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 07:41:15 am »

Well, if it's going to be this optimistic in here, someone has to rain on the parade...

It'll be pretty much the same thing, with a few more feature updates that people lose interest in quickly after getting them (especially since most of them will be for Adventurer Mode, or will be creatures whose weaknesses are thoroughly exploited and weaponized until boredom sets in), and people will still be looking at the devpages drooling over the possible glory if everything could ever be fully implemented.

The people that have been around the longest will complain more about how much better the game was with their favorite bugs and exploits still around, and how there is "too much magic" and "too much realism" at the same time.

haha yup

also
  • 25 more kinds of gibbons, giant gibbons, and gibbon men
  • the much-requested ability to finally embark with both prepared giant pangolin pancreatic membrane and barrels of giant pangolin pancreatic fluid
  • bigger migrant waves
  • more description of individual dwarves' appearance and personality traits in a way that makes it seem like every dwarf is both cripplingly deformed and dangerously obsessive/unhinged, yet that somehow fails to differentiate them in a meaningful way
  • more bad thoughts
  • more specific mood requirements that they won't tell you about
  • even more granularization of farming tasks- who's ready for a migrant wave of legendary irrigators, salt-dryers, composters and haybalers?
we also can look forward to "Urist McDwarf bashes the goblin on the upper surface of the metacarpal of the 3rd finger, left hand, chafing the outer epidermis, fracturing the sesamoid boine and tearing the hypothenar muscle, separating it from the deep flexor muscle!"

oh and of course a user interface that doesn't immediately frighten off 90% of new or prospective players and pose serious usability problems even for people who have been playing for years

ok that last one might be a little farfetched
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 07:45:53 am by Niyazov »

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 08:57:09 am »

Don't be an arse

Most of the appearance and damage stuff was to make the descriptions and combat more realistic.

In future we'll probably be able to play as humans, goblins, elves and maybe even kobolds. There may he the addition of wizard and necromancer tower mode, which could be like q cross between fortress and adventure mode. Adventure mode will let you do more stuff, like build your own house.

We might have multi-tile creatures and a tile based graphics rather than symbols.

We'll probably still have people bitching on the forums about bug x or why feature y hasn't been added yet, but that's about it.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 10:47:04 am »

Don't be an arse

We'll probably still have people bitching on the forums about bug x or why feature y hasn't been added yet, but that's about it.

AND we'll have people "complaining about the complainers" all the time, as well.

Nevermind that the people pressing for bugfixes are the reason those longer-term players are able to enjoy the game at all without facing those crippling bugs, all without thanks for the people who kept working on pressing for bugfixes until Toady did them.

But still, better to keep things on the plane of reality than some sort of memetic "more-awesome-than-awesome" contest. 

OK, then, I predict that after Toady spends the next 5-10 years on working out mostly Adventurer Mode advances with only a few wander-in creatures for Fortress Mode to work with, we will start getting more and more players primarily interested in Adventurer Mode, especially when more peaceful trade- and farm-based Adventurers become possible. 

The Fortress Mode old-guard will hate them, and there will be slurs against the "Farmville" players, while complaints will pile up for Toady to cave in and work on Fortress Mode more.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 11:55:57 am »

Don't be an arse

AND we'll have people "complaining about the complainers" all the time, as well.

Nevermind that the people pressing for bugfixes are the reason those longer-term players are able to enjoy the game at all without facing those crippling bugs, all without thanks for the people who kept working on pressing for bugfixes until Toady did them.

But still, better to keep things on the plane of reality than some sort of memetic "more-awesome-than-awesome" contest. 

OK, then, I predict that after Toady spends the next 5-10 years on working out mostly Adventurer Mode advances with only a few wander-in creatures for Fortress Mode to work with, we will start getting more and more players primarily interested in Adventurer Mode, especially when more peaceful trade- and farm-based Adventurers become possible. 

The Fortress Mode old-guard will hate them, and there will be slurs against the "Farmville" players, while complaints will pile up for Toady to cave in and work on Fortress Mode more.

I don't think you should underestimate the interplay between Adventurer and Fortress mode; what's sauce for the goose, etc.  Improvements to Adventurer mode affect Fortress mode and vice versa (albeit to a somewhat lesser extent). E.g., would you consider vampires and necromancers to be "fortress mode" or "adventurer mode" features? They are relevant to gameplay in both modes even though the player's interaction with them is very different in both modes. I wouldn't describe them as simply being "wander-in creatures". The same applies to how migrants are now real worldgen figures.

That said, I agree that there are still serious issues with gameplay in fortress mode that really do not touch on adventurer mode, and many of them have to do with how difficult it is to learn to use the interface and understand the interactions of different systems in-game. Fortress mode has a 5 year headstart on Adventurer mode; if Dwarf Fortress starts attracting people primarily on the strength of Adventurer mode, it will in part be because of the largely unnecessary accessibility problems that beset Fortress Mode.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 11:56:54 am »

Until the day Toady adds moving fortress parts. Then we'll have giant doom-forts moving over the land exterminating all that is non-dwarf. That will probably happen in about 15 years. At best.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 12:17:40 pm »

Until the day Toady adds moving fortress parts. Then we'll have giant doom-forts moving over the land exterminating all that is non-dwarf. That will probably happen in about 15 years. At best.

The problem with that is that there is a reason fortress mode has a static number of local tiles that can be occupied - the game has to fill out a set-size array in order to keep the maps functioning at a reasonable rate of speed, and the forts can so drastically change the map that everything about a fort needs to be saved.

Compare the save file size of your game before you start a fort to just after you embark - that's the size of the data of just where you embarked.

Now, if you leave a giant hole behind where your giant doom fort got up and walked away, that hole has to be saved... and so does everything your magma-spewing doom fortress tramples. 

There's a limit to how much data can go in and out of a save file, and hence, how much interaction you are allowed to have on a global scale with the world.  We may well get moving fortress parts and giant robot walkers, but no ability to actually walk them off the map (except maybe in adventurer mode, and a moving special site that needs to be recorded may be too much of a technical challenge for Toady to overcome for years).
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 02:03:13 pm »

He said 15 years. Maybe we have quantum computers till then which would bring new, mighty possibilities :)
large, long history worlds created in a few seconds, whole map caveins with several hundred fps... *dream*
Pages: [1] 2 3