Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

Author Topic: Science Thread: Taming and Training  (Read 73005 times)

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Science Thread: Taming and Training
« Reply #180 on: April 02, 2012, 10:06:38 am »

I think once animals revert to wild state, you're pretty much screwed, unless you've kept them in a cage. Others have reported them being trap-avoid after that, so you can't retrain them. And once they revert to wild and aren't caged, they aren't even on the list of animals anymore, and I'm pretty sure won't have a tamer even attempt to retrain them. On the ones I've had revert, I've pretty much had to just send in a squad of military, and take them down.

I do have ideas though that I'd like to test at some point, involving cage traps in the hall leading to the pasture, a tame giant cave spider, and a caged/released enemy on the other side of the traps... but I'd need to get a tame GCS first, which means I need to breach the caverns in my current fort. :p

And yeah, to reply to the question earlier that I missed, I just watched very carefully for my raven to lay some eggs (they seem to lay them around a season apart, maybe slightly less, which helps) and then (t) and (f)orbid them in the nest. It's usually helpful though if you can catch the females just as they're pastured for the first time, since usually they'll have some eggs "stored up" and go to lay them as soon as they're in with an egg box.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 02, 2012, 10:08:31 am »

On the plus side: you've only got to do that once.  Tame the offspring and then you can lock up the 2nd generation domestics without having a trainer go back to upkeep them!

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 02, 2012, 01:17:55 pm »

Here's something interesting. I have a bunch of goblin mounts that I captured, tamed, and stuck on chains in 1x2 rooms behind doors. They're losing their training and not being retrained (not on the list any more, either), which might be a bug or might be intentional for captured enemies. (No big deal, I want 'em for their offspring anyway.) Anyway, I have a voracious cave crawler that went wild and knocked down the door to its room. "Oh shit", I thought, "that's going to scare any dwarf who goes past, and there are animals further down that hall that I still want access to." Well, no, actually. I put in an order to replace the door with a wall, thinking that I'd have to fight with the dwarves to get them to do it, but my mason-hauler wasn't bothered by the VCC at all, even with it being just one square away. The VCC didn't attack, either, it just kind of hung out being chill.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 02, 2012, 01:29:33 pm »

Tame creatures that have gone wild and aren't in a cage don't show up on Z-stock.  That's working as intended.  The lack of running away, that's curious.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 02, 2012, 01:31:14 pm »

Here's something interesting. I have a bunch of goblin mounts that I captured, tamed, and stuck on chains in 1x2 rooms behind doors. They're losing their training and not being retrained (not on the list any more, either), which might be a bug or might be intentional for captured enemies. (No big deal, I want 'em for their offspring anyway.) Anyway, I have a voracious cave crawler that went wild and knocked down the door to its room. "Oh shit", I thought, "that's going to scare any dwarf who goes past, and there are animals further down that hall that I still want access to." Well, no, actually. I put in an order to replace the door with a wall, thinking that I'd have to fight with the dwarves to get them to do it, but my mason-hauler wasn't bothered by the VCC at all, even with it being just one square away. The VCC didn't attack, either, it just kind of hung out being chill.
Actually it's not weird, it's AWESOME. I ordered a wild animal to be chained up and discovered that not only did it not scare dwarves it didn't attack them and the militia coul be stationed there without harming it. Chains pacify wild beasts.

Edit: Also if you order them to be attacked they can't get off the chain and dwarves can be ordered to back off and the creature will no longer be hostile. I have an animal person chained in the dungeon that my guards occasionally beat down for fun.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 01:33:07 pm by Broseph Stalin »

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 02, 2012, 01:45:07 pm »

Tame creatures that have gone wild and aren't in a cage don't show up on Z-stock.  That's working as intended.  The lack of running away, that's curious.

Yeah, I did see that. The fact that they haven't been retrained at all, even when they were semi-wild and I had plenty of idlers with that labor activated, seems a bit odd tho. (In fact I was getting 'training canceled: no animal' messages.)
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

LumberingOaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 02, 2012, 02:25:11 pm »

Slightly off-topic, but I've been experimenting with chained goblins for a few days, and although your dwarves will happily coexist with them, caravan guards still seem to brutally cut them down. I presume this applies to chained wild animals too, so anyone planning to use restraints for breeding wild animals should probably keep them away from the depot.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 02, 2012, 02:48:46 pm »

So wait, wild critters and goblins which are on a chain or rope, do not cause terror amongst dwarfs?

We can finally have elves tied up in the dining hall?!

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 02, 2012, 02:49:38 pm »

I just caught a flock of elk birds, which my civ has 'domesticated'-level familiarity with. The first round of taming set them to 'tame', rather than just 'trained'. So apparently that's possible, if you're sufficiently familiar with a given species.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 02, 2012, 02:52:37 pm »

So to clarify, you tamed elk birds for the first time and they became fully domestic, and no longer need to be reinforced?

Dragon breeding is a-go!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 02, 2012, 02:59:07 pm »

So wait, wild critters and goblins which are on a chain or rope, do not cause terror amongst dwarfs?

We can finally have elves tied up in the dining hall?!
Do elves eat? I think that may pose a problem.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 02, 2012, 03:01:49 pm »

From what I understand an elf would only have to eat if it was tamed. Needless to say you can't tame elves, ipso facto you can imprison them in your fortress for all eternity.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 02, 2012, 03:17:41 pm »

So to clarify, you tamed elk birds for the first time and they became fully domestic, and no longer need to be reinforced?

Dragon breeding is a-go!

It was the first time my fort had tamed any elk birds, but my civ obviously has experience with them. But yes, they're (tame).

(This fort was genned in .05, in case that makes any difference.)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 02, 2012, 03:25:34 pm »

From what I understand an elf would only have to eat if it was tamed. Needless to say you can't tame elves, ipso facto you can imprison them in your fortress for all eternity in wooden cages, dumped in a giant wood stockpile so everything they will see for the rest of their existence is CUT TREES !

fixed that for you

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 02, 2012, 03:28:38 pm »

From what I understand an elf would only have to eat if it was tamed. Needless to say you can't tame elves, ipso facto you can imprison them in your fortress for all eternity.

Darn. I kinda liked the idea of an elf in the dining room, desperately begging for food, while chained to a sign saying "Please do not feed the elf."
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16