Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16

Author Topic: Science Thread: Taming and Training  (Read 73008 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Science Thread: Taming and Training
« Reply #150 on: March 30, 2012, 11:46:30 am »

According to my science, it's fine if you butcher trained creatures as long as you cancel their training first.

I trained five crundles to well-trained, then canceled training (in the animal screen) on two and butchered these ones. Hell, their trainer even butchered them.

No negative thoughts about it at all.
Check your trainers relationships, is he "Bonded" to any of the animals he butchered?

Ooh, there are new trainer relationships ?? I'm going to check this.

Yes, after one or two years he is bonded to the four first crundles I tamed. I guess he spent much time with them.

And amusingly, most of the animals he trained are passing acquaintances.

Well, he is even acquaintanced with a wild dead crundle, and AFAIK that wild crundle was never trained. The hell ?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 30, 2012, 12:03:10 pm »

My warthog piglets all list as (tame), status: domesticated, even though I'm only at knowledgeable. I'm caging them to see if they revert still. level after knowledgeable: expert
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 12:16:47 pm by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 30, 2012, 12:21:05 pm »

According to my science, it's fine if you butcher trained creatures as long as you cancel their training first.

I trained five crundles to well-trained, then canceled training (in the animal screen) on two and butchered these ones. Hell, their trainer even butchered them.

Can you elaborate a little? This seems important. How do you mean you canceled training? I wonder what the relationships screen showed for these guys.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 30, 2012, 12:32:55 pm »

go to the animal screen, find animal and do (t) - no trainer
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 30, 2012, 01:16:45 pm »

Can you elaborate a little? This seems important. How do you mean you canceled training? I wonder what the relationships screen showed for these guys.

The trainer trained the two crundles once I think, then butchered them, they were probably just passing acquaintances.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 30, 2012, 05:52:30 pm »

The trainer trained the two crundles once I think, then butchered them, they were probably just passing acquaintances.
That explains it, my designated trainer went into a funk when I started butchering animals because he had "Bonded" as a relationship with all of the animals. It also gave him happy thoughts from having "recently bonded with an animal" and having been cheered up by a bonded animal.

daishi5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 30, 2012, 06:23:54 pm »

Ok, a few more results after a horrible day at work.

I took two wild boars, male and female, and locked them away in a room with floodgates.  Just outside the room I built a line of cage traps.  Then I placed another line of floodgates.  After the one wild boar reverted to wild state (and killed everything else in the pen), I built a new line of cage traps past the last set of floodgates.  Both boars were trained masterfully.  The boars reverted one stage at a time back to wild, each time they dropped a level, they gave an announcement about forgetting their training.  The first stage of cage traps were built before they were placed in the pen, and the boars were walked over the cage traps.  The second set of cage traps was built after they went wild, to test if they were trap avoid, or just were aware of traps they had seen while tame.  The wild boar ran over both sets of cage traps with no issue.  The female boar had two piglets while in the pen, they were still trained at a medium level while the two older boars were either basically trained or semi wild.  I do not believe either piglet lost any training levels. 

Conclusions:
Animals that revert to their wild state avoid all traps, both those they saw when tame and new traps. 
Animals revert to a wild state one stage at a time, semi-wild being your final warning.
Young animals either do not revert at all, or revert much slower than mature animals. 

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 30, 2012, 06:56:15 pm »

I got a cave dragon, which is fairly exciting, except he's still pretty young. Problem is, there is no listing for him in the general knowledge section. Do I gain this when I gain familiarity (he's been trained a few times already), or is it absent because dragons are special?

I haven't let him out of the cage yet bc the last time I saw dragon breath there was so much smoke that DF crashed after an several minutes of ~1 FPS.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 30, 2012, 07:10:50 pm »

I don't think cave dragons breath fire anyways.  But, you gain knowledge when the caravan safely leaves the map.  Also cave dragons are not special, at all.  They follow regular creature rules, they are not megabeasts.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 30, 2012, 07:16:38 pm »

That doesn't mean they're not special. :P Aren't they like the biggest and meanest creatures smaller than semimegabeasts?
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 30, 2012, 07:20:19 pm »

Cave dragons are just the second deadliest underground creature ever, the deadliest being the GCS.

Imagine a smaller dragon, without dragonfire, with very high skills for an unthinking beast, and two more bodyparts to wrestle with. You get your cave dragon.

Cave dragons are awesome, but do not breath dragonfire.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 31, 2012, 05:23:20 am »

you can gain the knowledge at any time, but your parent civ learns from you when the caravan leaves the map. It takes some time to gain knowledge of an animal, 4 or more times of training to semi wild to get an animal trained enough that you could let it out of the cage to facilitate training. You then know "a few facts". After that come general familiarity, knowledgeable, expert... Don't know after that yet. I got there by constantly training warthogs, about 20 of them now. A cave dragon might go a bit slower since you don't have many and it's more exotic.
I do advice to keep one person with just training and no other labors for dangerous creatures so there is no chance they revert to wild and start killing things.

new experiment: Realeasing my original warthogs to the wild! as soon as I can find one that was bonded, I will put it in a safe space (walled off and roofed over) and let it slowly become wild again, then release it and see if it leaves the map, if the bonded trainer gets a bad thought, etc. Free Willy!

I need to keep most of the original stock in the fort to see if knowledge goes beyond expert, which seems enough to completely tame the young.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 31, 2012, 08:15:53 am »

Conclusions:
Animals that revert to their wild state avoid all traps, both those they saw when tame and new traps. 
Animals revert to a wild state one stage at a time, semi-wild being your final warning.
Young animals either do not revert at all, or revert much slower than mature animals.

As to the last one, my own little bit of data leans also points to this, and may help pin it down... when I had a female capybara trained and she had babies, I had two of them live to adulthood, but forgot to assign them a trainer of their own. Both of them reverted to wild very shortly (like probably within a couple of game days) after growing to adult.

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 31, 2012, 09:41:54 am »

Cave dragons are just the second deadliest underground creature ever, the deadliest being the GCS.

Imagine a smaller dragon, without dragonfire, with very high skills for an unthinking beast, and two more bodyparts to wrestle with. You get your cave dragon.

Cave dragons are awesome, but do not breath dragonfire.
Actually, due to the GCS webbing foes, it will always attack the head, because it will be a very simple strike. To combat them, Give your dwarves iron helmets. You don't really need body armor for them, because 99%of their attacks will be headshots and be deflected by the iron. You can literally send helmeted miners to exterminate them if you need to.
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 31, 2012, 11:59:21 am »

Glad I didn't let that dragon out. He is now wild again. He's already named: bit a child in half before he was caged. So I guess we'll learn if mandwarfeaters can become tamed. So far no difference from other animals.
And I have "a few facts" entry for Cave dragons. : )

I have 2 forgotten beasts that I don't want to fight (an amber humanoid with poison gas, and a Wren with noxious excretions.) I'm going to try to line a corridor with traps and GCS webbing and see if I can cage them. Any advice would be much appreciated.

0S||^^^^^^^X
This is basically what I have now. || is a grate that I'm using to delay a melee with my precious trained GCS and to lure the monsters down the corridor. X is a normal wall that is not yet mined out. when I mine it, the corridor will be exposed to the caverns. Ill probably channel it out from above.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16