Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16

Author Topic: Science Thread: Taming and Training  (Read 73012 times)

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Science Thread: Taming and Training
« Reply #135 on: March 29, 2012, 10:18:59 pm »

What about rocs? As far as I know, they do not reproduce.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 29, 2012, 10:51:44 pm »

No CHILD tag, no offspring. Eets very simple.

A Roc, however, DOES have a Child tag. So you can expect little flappy bastard offspring if you have a breeding pair.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 29, 2012, 11:39:22 pm »

Rocs are some of the largest creatures you can reasonably expect to be able to tame if you manage a breeding pair.  Jabberers are a close second, though, as a "can be found most places" type of creature.

Giant Elephant Seals are almost as big as dragons, though, and are amphibious, and the largest creature in the game is the Giant Sperm Whale, which is unfortunately not much use out of the water, though.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 29, 2012, 11:41:57 pm »

...Giant Sperm Whale.  That sounds terrifying in all manners and all forms of every word that terror may represent.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 30, 2012, 12:09:08 am »

Amusingly, a Giant Sperm Whale farm is perhaps the single greatest food industry you could possibly have.  A single adult whale feeds a full fortress for 7-14 years. 

War Giant Sperm Whales would be a real sight to behold.  You could probably throw them at the HFS, and it would actually take them a while to win.  In fact, on an evil embark, get a Giant Sperm Whale Thrall, and you'd have the ultimate weapon. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 30, 2012, 12:17:02 am »

"Upgrading from an older DF version causes egglaying animals to lay untame children." - confirmed, fixed (see http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5701 )
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 30, 2012, 12:21:03 am »

...Giant Sperm Whale.  That sounds terrifying in all manners and all forms of every word that terror may represent.
Amusingly, a Giant Sperm Whale farm is perhaps the single greatest food industry you could possibly have.  A single adult whale feeds a full fortress for 7-14 years. 

War Giant Sperm Whales would be a real sight to behold.  You could probably throw them at the HFS, and it would actually take them a while to win.  In fact, on an evil embark, get a Giant Sperm Whale Thrall, and you'd have the ultimate weapon. 

From hell's heart I stab at thee! For hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee!
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 30, 2012, 04:24:48 am »

I've had a group of warthog piglets be born at +trained+, then my knowledge or trainers skill improved and they became *trained*. I put them in a cage to minimize interaction with trainers so noone would suffer a mental breakdown from being bonded to them when they were slaughtered, but after 2 seasons they were only (trained)
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 30, 2012, 05:40:15 am »

According to my science, it's fine if you butcher trained creatures as long as you cancel their training first.

I trained five crundles to well-trained, then canceled training (in the animal screen) on two and butchered these ones. Hell, their trainer even butchered them.

No negative thoughts about it at all.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 30, 2012, 05:51:10 am »

good to know
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 30, 2012, 06:12:54 am »

Things that I've noticed from my experiences to date:

[USE_ANY_PET_RACE] gives you a dozen or so pages of Domesticated animals with every mountain and first cavern level creature in there.

Dwarves have General Familiarity with Rutherers, Jabberers, and Giant Cave Crawlers, but no other creatures from those cavern levels are listed; this presumably comes though contact with those creatures because of goblins using them as mounts.

Five Crundles raised their familiarity to "A Few Facts" level of knowledge from that animal not even being listed. If some of that horde of bug bats will oblige me by flying into some of the cage traps I've thoughtfully provided, I'll see if the same holds true for them. I only have one of them trained so far and they still aren't listed yet. It'd be nice if some more Rutherers would do the same instead of just breeding about ten tiles away from the traps. Rutherers tend to have triplets by the way.

A Great Animal Trainer gets Exceptional and Superior Training for animals with at least a General Familiarity (my first Rutherer along with her three children are exceptionally trained), but tends to average around Well Trained for animals that he or she only knows A Few Facts about. Size doesn't seem to have anything to do with it.

It has been almost a year now and Ruthie the Exceptional Rutherer hasn't had any problems. Almost all of the Crundles have been retrained in the last six months.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 30, 2012, 06:57:16 am »

Maybe it's a nice idea to keep the following threads handy as well as some of the things in the first post are sort of explained there:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105402.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105668.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105597.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105432.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105597.0
At least some of those might be relevant.

Now I'll go read this actual thread. :P

Edit; I like this thread.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 07:44:14 am by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 30, 2012, 07:57:45 am »

we're basically trying to collect all the little posts from people about "I trained this and this happened, is it normal?" in one place. I hope we're reducing the clutter a little  :-\

A little off-topic idea:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 30, 2012, 08:04:07 am »

According to my science, it's fine if you butcher trained creatures as long as you cancel their training first.

I trained five crundles to well-trained, then canceled training (in the animal screen) on two and butchered these ones. Hell, their trainer even butchered them.

No negative thoughts about it at all.
Check your trainers relationships, is he "Bonded" to any of the animals he butchered?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 30, 2012, 08:34:08 am »

Once we get things more confirmed and settled, I'll use that reserved 2nd post to put a basic rundown of "how does tamed crundle?"  Then I'll add it to Relativity.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16