Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16

Author Topic: Science Thread: Taming and Training  (Read 72972 times)

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Science Thread: Taming and Training
« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2012, 10:02:05 pm »

Data point: the giant hamster turned out semi-wild from a master trainer. Nothing else has come out that badly from the initial training. Saw the training, trainer wasn't impaired (sleepy, hungry, thirsty, etc.) so maybe giants are harder to tame.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2012, 10:07:06 pm »

Or it might just be RNG luck
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 26, 2012, 10:15:09 pm »

Note that butchering the parents leads to tantruming Trainer.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

daishi5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 26, 2012, 10:27:04 pm »

Note that butchering the parents leads to tantruming Trainer.
I see they can get the thought, but I think it must work like masterwork items, I am butchering tamed animals left and right with no serious mood issues.  I have over 100 livestock, and the worst happiness for my trainers is content according to therapist.  None of my trainers actually have the bad thoughts on review, several are happy to have formed a bond recently though.  The bond forming may be over taking the slaughter thoughts. 

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 26, 2012, 10:57:24 pm »

What about other ways to kill off creatures that have been tamed?  If you send them out on a heroic charge against that FB sitting out in the caverns, do they still get angry?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

daishi5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2012, 11:04:53 pm »

Success!! a female dragon has been captured, and I have two legendary trainers to tame her.  Now, I need to work on building a very safe place to train her. 

Edit: and for fun, the dwarf that "lured" the dragon into a solid wall of cage traps that doesn't require a lure is currently sitting in a burning wooden cage, hopefully thinking about listening the next time I sound the alarm.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 11:09:05 pm by daishi5 »

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2012, 12:26:53 am »

So I accidentally caught a bunch of crow people. Forgot to put a ceiling on my central trap area. Stationed my military nearby, nobody wanted to start anything. The poor crow people kept running up, getting scared, my civilians kept getting scared, I was letting crow people go and they were getting re-caught because their buddies were still there in the cages, I'm trying to build a ceiling (I have closing bridges hooked to a lever for selectivity) and the masons are getting scared but nobody actually wants to start anything. I sent the military back to the barracks and it's just a madhouse of frightened crow people and civilians trying to let the crow people free and build a roof over the cage traps.

Absolute hilarity. I have yakkity sax playing. Good times, good times.

daishi5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2012, 12:37:00 am »

Life may be about to get interesting.  The dragon is tamed, but no longer shows up on my animal list under "z".  I have quadruple checked, but after the initial taming, the dragon does not seem to be on the list anymore for upkeep training....

Edit:  Saving and reloading fixed the dragon.  I am not sure why it went missing before, but I know I checked it many times.  It seems that legendary animal trainers make taming a dragon very non-eventful.  (I had a whole fire suppression system worked out too...)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 01:47:57 am by daishi5 »

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2012, 01:21:05 am »

I caught a dragon too! Wait, no I didn't. I caught a bunch of bushtit women. Now some of you might find that erotic but I happen to know bushtit women are possessed of a cloaca and that's not how I roll. This time it was in my trapped back door. The bushtit men were understandably upset. I imagine it went down like this: "Let's see if the dwarves are home. Knock knock! Oh look a cute kitte- GOOD LORD Sally's in a cage! Can you get her out? No I can't get her out, what do I look like, a dwarf?" Some of them tried to jump my cage haulers who were letting their women go. My military scared them off and I installed doors to keep out the riff-raff. Sigh. Dragons. I wish.

Edit: But the good news is my mighty giant hamster has gone from semi-wild to -trained-. Yay! I shall call her Wuzzles and she shall put the fear of a good nipping into my enemies.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 01:25:20 am by GhostDwemer »

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2012, 02:27:55 am »

My theory that giant ravens must like gems has paid off. I used gems as bait and now have a flock of... keas. Regular old keas oh damnit now the giant crows are flying by the cages but my cages are full of keas. Somewhere I swear I can hear elves laughing at me.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 27, 2012, 06:15:48 am »

Ok, some new results.  After I finished throwing a tantrum over my dragon I noticed that a large number of my children were listed as "tame", but had trainers assigned.  I took the time to double check, I still only had my original adult ravens, their eggs hatched, all of the hatchlings were "trained" and I assigned them all to "any trainer."  Next season, they were all "tame."  It looks like "tame" can be achieved while they are young.  Reading the dev log from 3/22 this appears to be the intended method of reaching "tame."  I will butcher the parent ravens to see if "tame" is inherited.
Hypothesis altered, third dingo pup was born last all pups were assigned to the animal trainer on birth explaining both why I didn't jump for joy at my domesticated wolf/wolf pups as soon as they were born and why one dingo isn't domesticated.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 27, 2012, 07:18:10 am »

I've had a semi-wild animal that went wild become trap immune.  It was pastured in the corner of a hallway completely surrounded by cage traps, back before I knew that they required retaming to stay tame.  When it went wild it kept walking over the traps until I unlocked the door keeping it in and it then went on a rampage.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 27, 2012, 09:31:01 am »

bushtit women are possessed of a cloaca
Me gusta.

Ok, some new results.  After I finished throwing a tantrum over my dragon I noticed that a large number of my children were listed as "tame", but had trainers assigned.  I took the time to double check, I still only had my original adult ravens, their eggs hatched, all of the hatchlings were "trained" and I assigned them all to "any trainer."  Next season, they were all "tame."  It looks like "tame" can be achieved while they are young.  Reading the dev log from 3/22 this appears to be the intended method of reaching "tame."  I will butcher the parent ravens to see if "tame" is inherited.
Hypothesis altered, third dingo pup was born last all pups were assigned to the animal trainer on birth explaining both why I didn't jump for joy at my domesticated wolf/wolf pups as soon as they were born and why one dingo isn't domesticated.
Could you explain this more clearly?

I've had a semi-wild animal that went wild become trap immune.  It was pastured in the corner of a hallway completely surrounded by cage traps, back before I knew that they required retaming to stay tame.  When it went wild it kept walking over the traps until I unlocked the door keeping it in and it then went on a rampage.
Curious...

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 27, 2012, 10:26:20 am »

bushtit women are possessed of a cloaca
Me gusta.

Could you explain this more clearly?

Curious...
I assigned all my pups a trainer as soon as they were born, this would explain how the second generation became domesticated. The reason that one dingo pup wasn't domesticated was because it had been born last and had not received any training.

One of the (-Trained-) wolves that has Domesticated children just gave birth to a (-Trained-) wolf pup. A (+Trained+) wolf gave birth to a (+Trained+) wolf pup. They seem to carry their mothers training. Does DF check paternity?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 10:55:51 am by Broseph Stalin »

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 27, 2012, 11:11:00 am »

Now that exotic pets can mate and properly be tamed and all, does there seem to be any mechanical difference between a creature with the [PET] token and the [PET_EXOTIC] token? Are they harder to train, regardless of a civ's familiarity with them?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16