Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16

Author Topic: Science Thread: Taming and Training  (Read 72970 times)

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Science Thread: Taming and Training
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2012, 08:28:30 pm »

I have also seen expertly trained and exceptionally trained. I may have seen masterfully trained but training levels fall and none of my 1st gens (which will never get to domesticated I think?) are currently masterfully trained so I can't verify.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2012, 08:40:15 pm »

Let's keep a distinction running here, yes.  "Taming" refers to making a wild animal into a friendly one.  "Training" means to take a friendly animal and refine them into a hunting or war animal.

Also of note: Animals don't have tags to associate herd behavior or pack mentality.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2012, 08:44:25 pm »

Let's keep a distinction running here, yes.  "Taming" refers to making a wild animal into a friendly one.  "Training" means to take a friendly animal and refine them into a hunting or war animal.

Although that can still get a bit confusing, when you switch between verbs and nouns... since animals between wild and fully domesticated states are called "trained" and "tame" animals are specifically domesticated, and won't revert to a wild state...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2012, 08:47:10 pm »

Use your head on that one.  Language is a large tool, you can figure out how to use the words right.  Just make an effort to specify what has been done to the animal so we can be sure and keep things perfectly straight.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2012, 08:47:47 pm »

Has anyone tamed a wild animal all the way to domestic yet? I've got plenty of domesticated dingo/wolf pups but I still can't take a wild dingo/wolf and turn it into a housepet.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2012, 08:50:38 pm »

It appears that's impossible now.  Fully tamed and domesticated animals only occur after breeding.  Dragons should be fun.  I believe 3rd generation nets you properly domestic critters.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2012, 09:00:56 pm »

It appears that's impossible now.  Fully tamed and domesticated animals only occur after breeding.  Dragons should be fun.  I believe 3rd generation nets you properly domestic critters.
SCIENCE!!!

All pups are second generation

I have eight wolf pups born from five mothers all the wolves mothers are "Trained" with a quality modifier.

I have one "Trained" dingo pup and two domesticated ones born from one mother with base training and two with quality training.

Hypothesis: If a well or skillfully trained animal has a child it will be Domesticated. If an animal with a standard training level has a child it will be "Trained"

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2012, 09:01:45 pm »

Dragons aren't [TRAINABLE] are they oh god I want war dragons.

(Urist McDragonKeeper has been burned to a crisp by his own pet dragon! Yeah, let's not.)
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2012, 09:03:01 pm »

Urist McDungeonKeeper has enjoyed a dragon lately.

telamon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2012, 09:04:13 pm »

Dragons aren't [TRAINABLE] are they oh god I want war dragons.

in fact, they are [TRAINABLE] by default. war dragons are legal.... assuming you can tame them long enough to breed a safe domesticated pedigree of battle dragons 8D last thing you want is a dragon going wild in the middle of your fortress, JUST when you thought it was safe.
Playing DF on Windows 98 since.... ?
At 55 frames per minute.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2012, 09:06:21 pm »

Yes, but dragons take 1,000 years to reach full size, and the relation of egglayers with the missing CHILD tag brings to question if they breed at all.  Either way, I think a newborn dragon is the size of a cow, and doesn't reach full size until a millennium.  Dragon breeding is badass, but not feasible, though if/when we're able to send armies out, I think that'd still be worth trying.

daishi5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2012, 09:37:02 pm »

*RAGE*  I just had my first dragon visit, and the stupid stupid caravan had just left.  Two speardwarves were right there to slaughter my baby before it hit my wall of cage traps.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 26, 2012, 09:39:04 pm »

So, before this thread started I had the idea to role play a fort sent out into the savage wilds to capture and tame giant beasts to ride into war against the elves. I've been reporting the results here. The RNG gives me two master animal trainers. The elves come with a horse. A. Horse. They know what's up. So far I've captured cave creatures. And a raven. Now what does the RNG give me?

A female giant hamster.

So be it. Comrades in arms, we ride to battle on mighty steeds of... fluffy... cuteness.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 26, 2012, 09:48:44 pm »

daishi5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 26, 2012, 09:53:36 pm »

Ok, some new results.  After I finished throwing a tantrum over my dragon I noticed that a large number of my children were listed as "tame", but had trainers assigned.  I took the time to double check, I still only had my original adult ravens, their eggs hatched, all of the hatchlings were "trained" and I assigned them all to "any trainer."  Next season, they were all "tame."  It looks like "tame" can be achieved while they are young.  Reading the dev log from 3/22 this appears to be the intended method of reaching "tame."  I will butcher the parent ravens to see if "tame" is inherited.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16