Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16

Author Topic: Science Thread: Taming and Training  (Read 72976 times)

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Science Thread: Taming and Training
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2012, 01:37:08 pm »

It does not appear to be possible to tame (or train) a captured Dwarf form werecamel.

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2012, 01:40:47 pm »

Well, months later, capybaras birth some puppies. I don't remember the training level of the puppies, but i believe that were similar to the parents. Now the INTERESTING. Past the time, my puppies now are adult capybaras, and they have a (TAME) level and they are domesticated (No trained, no -trained-, they are fully domestic creatures). And they were domesticated when they were a small puppies.

The exactly same phenomenom ocurred with my weasels. The parents were captured savages and adquired a "trained level". The babies were trained (I guess) and adquired a "domestic level". In others words, in this moment I have three capybaras and two weasels of 2º generation fully domestic, the parents were trained creatures that were captured savages. The 2º generation was trained since they born.
Yeah, that seems to be the only way to fully tame animals, which of course means you can't tame animals that don't breed
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2012, 01:48:11 pm »

Okay so it sounds like above all else training has become more realistic. You don't take a wild animal and make it tame, you train it to be chill around you and then breed the wild instincts out of it's kids. What do we know about training rates so far? It took me six dingos to get to "General Familiarity"

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2012, 01:58:49 pm »

Well, stork production seems to be going pretty well. But how do I get my plump helmet spawns back? Do I have to build, T, dump every cage?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2012, 02:00:58 pm »

Well, stork production seems to be going pretty well. But how do I get my plump helmet spawns back? Do I have to build, T, dump every cage?
You could just mass dump (d-b-d) to designate the cages and everything in them for dumping and then manually undump the kages (k-d). Your dwarves will carry the seeds to the dump and leave the cages.

Cobaldunderpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2012, 02:36:01 pm »

Dunno if this will help, but I've been trying to breed any exotic animals I can capture.

I managed to cage a large group of Dralthas (12+) over the five years my fort has been in operation. I'm not sure on the overall number cause I've butchered a few.

However, just being in the cages one of the Dralthas just gave birth to 3 pups who are in the cage with her. I looked them up on the wiki and it doesn't say anything about them breeding so I thought I would share that. As it stands none of my Dralthas are trained. I only train them to butcher them. I don't know if she was pregnant before she was captured or if caged she got pregnant by one of the males I have caught.
"I'm sorry, so you want me to make your underpants out of cobalt or kobolds?"

"Eh, whatever"

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2012, 02:39:51 pm »

*walks in stump bandaged but still pale from bloodloss*
Ive done some experimenting by switching to different trainers every time my GDS go feral again. it appears that the more experience your trainers have, the longer the animals tameness lasts. the trouble is, getting a general familiarity is taking longer. the upside to being half tamed is that I can trade away a few of them at a time. does trading the creatures increase your civs ability to tame them?
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Meansdarling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2012, 03:27:39 pm »

A thought with no proof:
For the eggs of trained wild creatures that hatch semi-wild chicks, maybe the time they exist on the map as untrainable eggs counts against them. Then when they hatch they have been untrained for a while already.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2012, 03:38:01 pm »

Dunno if this will help, but I've been trying to breed any exotic animals I can capture.

I managed to cage a large group of Dralthas (12+) over the five years my fort has been in operation. I'm not sure on the overall number cause I've butchered a few.

However, just being in the cages one of the Dralthas just gave birth to 3 pups who are in the cage with her. I looked them up on the wiki and it doesn't say anything about them breeding so I thought I would share that. As it stands none of my Dralthas are trained. I only train them to butcher them. I don't know if she was pregnant before she was captured or if caged she got pregnant by one of the males I have caught.
They can't get pregnant in cages if that narrows it down.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2012, 04:08:46 pm »

*walks in stump bandaged but still pale from bloodloss*
Ive done some experimenting by switching to different trainers every time my GDS go feral again. it appears that the more experience your trainers have, the longer the animals tameness lasts. the trouble is, getting a general familiarity is taking longer. the upside to being half tamed is that I can trade away a few of them at a time. does trading the creatures increase your civs ability to tame them?

I doubt it, but trading semi-untamed GDS to the elves is best idea.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2012, 04:25:46 pm »

A few data points to help in Science! for what they're worth (and any extra info/tips I can think of):

1) Remember you have to set a trainer to babies born to "trained" parents to keep them tame as well. I had a few capybara pups born to a semi-wild mother, also semi-wild. One got killed in a siege (along with the mother), then the other two grew up... and very very shortly after (like a few game days), reverted to being wild. I'd apparently forgotten to assign them a trainer of their own. Oops.

2) I just had some Giant Peregrine Falcon chicks hatch to parents I bought from the elves (thanks elves!), and those according to the raws in the wiki are pet-exotic. (Unless that got changed, and they haven't been updated in the wiki.) It took a few clutches though, like three or four, before any hatched. (Hard to tell at this point whether that was just bad luck with unfertilized eggs, or if it's harder to breed/hatch exotics.) For what it's worth, my civ has zero knowledge of Peregrine Falcons, giant or regular.

3) I've had multiple bird hatchings, and none so far have been anything other than tame. (A clutch or two of guinea keets, a clutch of chicks, the aforementioned G.P.F chicks, and a clutch of peachicks.) Someone in another thread mentioned afterward that they'd converted their save from the previous version, I'm wondering if that is the case with others who've reported that? Or else it's something that doesn't always happen.

4) I caught a dingo and trained him, and for some reason he immediately went to "well-trained" as soon as she was trained, despite my civ not knowing anything about dingoes specifically. I'm not sure if it's using some knowledge from the related dogs, to "help" the dingo knowledge, or what. Later on, I ended up getting the "the dwarves have learned a few facts about training dingos" message. For Science! I just went ahead and trained the other dingo I had put in my zoo after learning the "few facts," and he's listed as "trained," while my other dingo is now up to "skillfully trained." (And has also been adopted by one of my dwarves, after I made him available. I also caught him fighting something that was attacking my dwarf. My dingo rocks, I want a female now.)

5) Keep in mind that war/hunting animals, once assigned to someone, apparently can't be assigned to anyone else EVEN IF the original owner dies. Booo! (Or if they can, I haven't seen a way to do it yet.)

6) As a tip, I've been putting any pastured-type "trained" critters in pastures with some cage traps along the hallways leading to them. That way if they do revert, they might raise a ruckus in among the pastures, but if they try to make a break for the rest of the fortress they'll get trapped.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2012, 04:29:35 pm »

4) I caught a dingo and trained him, and for some reason he immediately went to "well-trained" as soon as she was trained, despite my civ not knowing anything about dingoes specifically. I'm not sure if it's using some knowledge from the related dogs, to "help" the dingo knowledge, or what. Later on, I ended up getting the "the dwarves have learned a few facts about training dingos" message. For Science! I just went ahead and trained the other dingo I had put in my zoo after learning the "few facts," and he's listed as "trained," while my other dingo is now up to "skillfully trained." (And has also been adopted by one of my dwarves, after I made him available. I also caught him fighting something that was attacking my dwarf. My dingo rocks, I want a female now.)

I'm guessing that the quality is slightly random, just like with crafts. The knowledge and trainer skill don't entirely determine it.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Xnidus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2012, 04:29:51 pm »

New information of the capybaras breeding.

The 2º generation are already tamed.

I had a 3º generation born of domesticated parents. The new puppies born already and totally domesticated. Yeah!  8)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2012, 04:30:04 pm »

A few data points to help in Science! for what they're worth (and any extra info/tips I can think of):

1) Remember you have to set a trainer to babies born to "trained" parents to keep them tame as well. I had a few capybara pups born to a semi-wild mother, also semi-wild. One got killed in a siege (along with the mother), then the other two grew up... and very very shortly after (like a few game days), reverted to being wild. I'd apparently forgotten to assign them a trainer of their own. Oops.

2) I just had some Giant Peregrine Falcon chicks hatch to parents I bought from the elves (thanks elves!), and those according to the raws in the wiki are pet-exotic. (Unless that got changed, and they haven't been updated in the wiki.) It took a few clutches though, like three or four, before any hatched. (Hard to tell at this point whether that was just bad luck with unfertilized eggs, or if it's harder to breed/hatch exotics.) For what it's worth, my civ has zero knowledge of Peregrine Falcons, giant or regular.

3) I've had multiple bird hatchings, and none so far have been anything other than tame. (A clutch or two of guinea keets, a clutch of chicks, the aforementioned G.P.F chicks, and a clutch of peachicks.) Someone in another thread mentioned afterward that they'd converted their save from the previous version, I'm wondering if that is the case with others who've reported that? Or else it's something that doesn't always happen.

5) Keep in mind that war/hunting animals, once assigned to someone, apparently can't be assigned to anyone else EVEN IF the original owner dies. Booo! (Or if they can, I haven't seen a way to do it yet.)

6) As a tip, I've been putting any pastured-type "trained" critters in pastures with some cage traps along the hallways leading to them. That way if they do revert, they might raise a ruckus in among the pastures, but if they try to make a break for the rest of the fortress they'll get trapped.
Either Random Number God has smiled on you with the dingo or your animal trainer was really good. I have quite a few that are being more characteristically stubborn- same story with wolves.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2012, 04:53:30 pm »

Any observations about communicating knowledge back to the homeland? Anyone made advances, abandoned their fort, and found they could embark with the newly domesticated species?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16