Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: Science Thread: Taming and Training  (Read 72989 times)

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Science Thread: Taming and Training
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2012, 02:34:58 am »

Female cave croc you say? Feed your dwarves on cave croc eggs.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2012, 03:21:09 am »

so an animal that reverts it's training will not automatically run away? that would be nice, I can have falcon eggs and owl eggs added to my food.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Cobaldunderpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2012, 04:17:03 am »

I am trying to see if exotics can reproduce now as apparently that is up for question.

So far the only exotic I have captured is a female Giant Cave Spider. She is taking well to the fort as my civ is rather familiar with GCS. The game is being quite stingy though and is not sending me a male. Theres also a Cave Crocodile on my map, but he is chilling at the bottom of the lake with no clear way to gain his attention.
"I'm sorry, so you want me to make your underpants out of cobalt or kobolds?"

"Eh, whatever"

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2012, 04:22:38 am »

GCS was a bit of a problem as it lacked the "child" tag.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Cobaldunderpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2012, 04:23:56 am »

GCS was a bit of a problem as it lacked the "child" tag.
Eh, I'm going with whatever exotics the game throws at me. The giant wrens that seem to migrate through my map always stay up and away from my traps

"Eh, whatever"

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2012, 04:25:25 am »

I got a breeding pair of aardvarks. Not the most glorious, but probably safer than other things

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2012, 04:31:52 am »

Current fort is catching and taming any subterranean animals it can. Currently have loads of trained crundles and naked mole dogs running around my fort. Also a tamed cave croc and a giant cave swallow.

Also flesh balls are AWESOME for training, just saying.

It seems that better Animal Trainer skill does increase the quality of animal training, but I am not sure about that.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 04:35:20 am by Naryar »

Cobaldunderpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2012, 04:42:15 am »

Well the cave croc moved...and took seven of my dwarves with it when it did. Cut down another GCS that was attacking my harvesters.

I've had the one trained GCS for over 2 years now with no sign of reverting. My dwarven civ is familiar with them and the trainer I assigned to train her was only level 3. So I think, from what I've seen, length of how long the training sticks has alot to do with your civs general knowledge of the creature in question.

"Eh, whatever"

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2012, 04:44:51 am »

I got a breeding pair of aardvarks. Not the most glorious, but probably safer than other things
Ooh, better hope you get attacked by necromancers so you can supply them with books.
Arthur the Aardvark likes books, right? I don't actually know all that much about Arthur the Aardvark.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2012, 09:06:40 am »

Updated OP slightly, we need direct confirmation on taming enemy mounts, and we need to confirm that savage creatures are tougher.

Also if anyone has questions, this is the place to post them!

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2012, 09:48:00 am »

Turns out my map has elephants. These should be good for experiments; even though they're not very aggressive these days, any "lash outs" could have entertaining consequences. They're also [TRAINABLE].

Unfortunately, it'll probably be Tuesday evening before I have a chance to play again.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2012, 09:48:49 am »

Be sure and mod them, their grazer tag makes them suicidal.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2012, 09:51:57 am »

tamed peregrins, when left alone, revert back to wild after a while, quite quickly even, sometimes within a season. trainers are all just 1 / 2 skill and knowledge is currently "just a few facts", it's an exotic pet but not especially savage.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2012, 12:03:40 pm »

It would be helpful to the cause of science if people could relay more details, specifically, what level is your animal trainer? Also, how many peregrines did you have to train to get to the 'few facts' level?

Xnidus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2012, 01:01:19 pm »

Hi guys,

I'm new in the forum and i think that i will not be a prolific comentarist. And another topic, sorry for my orthography. The english isn't my native language.  :-[

I decide write here because i had some advances in exotic training. Mi new fort start the past saturday. In a few in-game years catch four capybaras (two males and two females) and I training there.

Well, months later, capybaras birth some puppies. I don't remember the training level of the puppies, but i believe that were similar to the parents. Now the INTERESTING. Past the time, my puppies now are adult capybaras, and they have a (TAME) level and they are domesticated (No trained, no -trained-, they are fully domestic creatures). And they were domesticated when they were a small puppies.

The exactly same phenomenom ocurred with my weasels. The parents were captured savages and adquired a "trained level". The babies were trained (I guess) and adquired a "domestic level". In others words, in this moment I have three capybaras and two weasels of 2º generation fully domestic, the parents were trained creatures that were captured savages. The 2º generation was trained since they born.

Other things:

1) The eagle and osprey reverted more easily than weasel, and the weasel more than the capybaras.

2) The original captured animals NEVER adquired a (Tame), or better said, a true domestic level.

3) In this moment the level of my Animal Trainer is 6 (six). But I think that is level grew 4 or more in the last years... My fort already have five years and a child died from a nudity related depression...

4) When I saw that my capybara puppies were fully domestic, I decided slaughter the parents. The Animal Trainer become sad in consecuence...

I hope I was useful. And newly, sorry for my language.

Regards!  ;)

« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 01:24:36 pm by Xnidus »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16