Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: Science Thread: Taming and Training  (Read 72979 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Science Thread: Taming and Training
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012, 10:24:48 pm »

Curious.  Sounds like a proper "dungeon master" is a good idea, actually.  Burrow the trainer dwarf in the taming zone, providing living accommodations.  Your tamer(s) lives in a partitioned section of the fort where animals are taken in cages and only released from the dungeon when they're properly vicious towards the right color of skin (green).

Batmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 10:29:26 pm »

Incase anyone hadn't realised by now, its much safer to designate the zone as Pen/Pasture at the same time as designating it a taming zone.

removing the need to cart dangerous wildlife through your fortress.
See, I play as a highland lord, I light the torches its time for war, I'll ride through a rival town weilding a ball and chain made of spikes and thorns, or a longsword, with the hilt made out of a dinosaurs spinal chord, sharpened against a rhino's horn, when you swing it it sounds like a lions roar!

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 10:38:49 pm »

Another data point, my culture already had familiarity with those cavern creatures. I shall now attempt training a raven, which is not listed in my "overall training" tab. Embark on a savage wilds full of weird bugs and giant birds, catch a raven. :(

ullrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 11:18:31 pm »

PTW
Ullrich cancels Work: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
Dwarf Fortress: Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2012, 11:22:41 pm »

Well, I was interrupted by a goblin siege. They called it that. It would have been lame for an ambush, one squad of pikers. I may only have copper on this map but I hit the magma sea at z-25, so I've got a lot of serrated copper disks, and menacing copper spikes on lever. I also have a level 11 lasher, haha.

Anyway, I cleared them all out right before the elves showed up and somewhere in there I ended up with a Stray Raven (-trained-) (that's 'well trained') but I didn't see it happen. Also, ravens are not yet listed on my 'overall training' tab. I hope to get through the end of the year tonight, see what gets reported back to the homeland.

Ditto what Batmantis said. I have a room with two kennels. One has an animal stockpile and training/pen zone around it, the other just has a pen zone.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2012, 11:28:58 pm »

Scratch what I said before about crundles being on my overall training tab, they weren't because they still aren't. I must have missed it because many other cavern creatures are listed, like cave swallows and dralthas. The giant bat and giant rat are there.

So. One crundle out of two reverted so far (and was rapidly retrained without incident), the rat and bat have not reverted. The bat has gotten extra attention from the hunting training.

Another item. Troglodytes are sentient, and can't be trained.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2012, 11:42:15 pm »

Okay so I am kind of a newbie in many respects and I have some questions about safely acquiring animals for training. I have a cave croc in a cavern pond, what will get him into a cage? Could magma crabs be enticed into cages? I have those on my map.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2012, 11:55:42 pm »

Pretty sure cave crocs are quite aggressive. Make it so the only path between your fort and the cave croc is a fairly straight path with a cage trap in it. Then send a soap maker near the cave croc and hope he runs away back into your fort. Perhaps if you assign him to a burrow in the fort it'll help with pathing? To get him down to the croc, you can turn on mining for him, give him a copper pick, and designate a spot near the croc for digging. Just be sure that the most useless person gets the job, and undesignate afterwards so you don't end up with ALL your miners getting chased in circles by a hungry croc.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2012, 12:01:49 am »

You could dig a channel alongside the pond and set a cage trap inside it, put a floodgate at both ends of the channel, one floodgate would lead to a drain, and the other floodgate would lead to the pond after you channel it out.
Eventually the croc might wander into the cage trap.
You should be able to put a chained animal somewhere to lure the croc into the cage, either an amphibious creature chained directly behind the cage, or harder would be a land animal behind a ramp behind the cage so the croc has a path to it through where the cage is.
Also caged dogs have a tendency to drive aquatic creatures all over the place. A few dogs chained on side of the pond away from the cage should drive the croc towards the cage.
Just make sure the croc can't reach them.

*Facepalm* Ok so i just realised i'm thinking in 31.XX terms not 34.XX terms, now that Rivers and ponds have ramps you can get a croc much easier since they are amphibious.
Just make an aboveground cage trap with a chained dog behind it(make sure there's walls of something so the croc has to go through the cage to get the dog).
EDIT: It's easier to just put a cage trap at your back enterence and lure the croc somehow, if you don't mind exploiting the game make a pasture next to the croc and assign a random animal, when it arrives and gets the croc's attention assign it to a pasture beyond the cage trap, the crc should follow. But that's pretty gamey you could instead use a random soapmaker or something and either burrows or the military screen.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 12:05:37 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2012, 12:29:06 am »

I don't think animals care about pasture assignments unless a dwarf physically leads them to the pen/pasture - so you'd be leading a dwarf there anyway. However, they will seek out meeting areas, so you might use that. I don't know if it's as effective when they're being chased by an angry croc, of course - especially if a dog wanders down there and decides that this croc is a jerk who needs some bodily readjustments.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2012, 12:52:58 am »

Saw more spontaneous crundle retraining. Cave croc has absolutely no interest in anything dwarven, canine or feline. He's in a deep pool and he is staying put. I'm channeling down directly over his head. 

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2012, 12:58:16 am »

And then this happened:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2012, 01:03:52 am »

Cave croc has been captured at the expense of two war dogs.

Edit: I had not thought through how I was channeling down and there was a clear path between the bait and the croc, hilarity ensued. The croc is kinda banged up now, we will see how that impacts things.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 01:05:57 am by GhostDwemer »

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2012, 01:14:10 am »

*runs in wide eyed and bleeding from the stump were his hand should be*
just a quick question before I die of bloodloss, my scorpions seem to be reverting pretty quickly. is there any basis behind savage or overly dangerous creatures being harder to tame or going wild again faster than comparably benign critters?
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2012, 02:12:39 am »

Report from the Dwarven City of Lelgasadil, 14 Galena 553. The mission to these savage wilds to tame giant animals has managed to tame a number of crundles, a female raven, a female giant rat, a male giant hunting bat, and a female cave crocodile. No luck catching giant wrens or giant thrips yet, but they are pretty common here. Thrips only live a year though. Crundles lay eggs so I built nest boxes then forgot to forbid the eggs, blah, it's getting late here. We'll be having crundle and raven egg roasts.

Elves brought a horse. One solitary horse, the bastards. Human caravan arrived, no way I am making it through fall tonight on 50FPS. More taming science tomorrow.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16