Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Linux - kde] Resizing window won't resize grid  (Read 973 times)

gyscos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
[Linux - kde] Resizing window won't resize grid
« on: March 25, 2012, 03:55:25 pm »

Hey there :)

I played Dwarf fortress about a year ago, and back then, resizing the window would have the grid auto-adapt, increasing the visible area.

I recently downloaded the 0.34.06 version and tried to play it once again ; but resizing the window would only add big black borders.
I tried to edit the init.txt file. RESIZEABLE was already set to YES ; I tried to change BLACKBORDERS from YES to NO, nothing changed.

I'm running a 64-bit Linux with KDE. I tried to turn desktop effects off, with no change.

Is the grid auto-resizing feature still supported ? If so, is there a switch to turn it on somewhere ? Or is it a bug in the linux version ?

Thanks ! :)

gyscos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: [Linux - kde] Resizing window won't resize grid
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 01:59:56 pm »

Changing the display to TEXT allow the grid to correctly resize to available space ; but shift+directions for quick moves don't work anymore :( although that's probably an issue with the terminal itself.
I just tried it on gnome with the same effect. Hasn't it happened with anyone else ???

Edit : okay, something weird is happening.
On one computer running KDE, resizing the window doesn't work. But one time I let the window resized (but not adapted, with black borders), and when I came back later the grid had adapted. But even then, trying to resize the window wouldn't make the grid adjust.
On one computer running gnome, resizing the window sometimes work : first it doesn't work, then if I resize it very often, at some point the grid begins to adapt...
:-S
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 02:19:40 pm by gyscos »

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 09:54:16 pm »

Hello gyscos,

I don't have the same problem as you (running 32 bit Debian/Gnome and resizing is fine) but others have had trouble running SDL DF on 64 bit linux because the libsdl, and other, files that DF requires should be 32 bit.

Check out these threads, they might be of help...
Linux guide to installing Dwarf Fortress
DF on Ubuntu

Good luck!
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

gyscos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 10:01:39 am »

I installed all 32 libs, so I doubt that's the problem.

After many tries, it seems that the grid adjusts itself if the window is already maximized before continuing the saved game. If I then resize the window (to make it smaller), it also auto-adjust ; but if I make the window bigger (and not smaller), then the grid seems to give up, and stops adjusting... :-S