Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another Magic Thread: Channeling the Dead  (Read 1155 times)

gamermaster42

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Another Magic Thread: Channeling the Dead
« on: March 25, 2012, 03:10:03 pm »

Since there are already necromancers, how about the ability to select a deceased being (it would have to be one that you are aware of) and channel it in yours or a dwarves body.  The body of the channeler takes on the appearance of the spirits (excluding body parts that the channeler or the spirit might have lost) and their skills (regardless if the skill was higher or lower than the channelers).  During the channeling, the channelers skills will not increase, but their attributes can.

If the spirit is hostile to the channeler, then every once and a while there would be a Willpower check.  If the spirits exceeds the channelers, then the spirit will take control until the next willpower check.  Friendly spirits will become hostile if you do something that goes against their ethics.

The downside of the channeling is that as long as a spirit is inside a hosts body, the hosts hunger, thirst and drowsiness increase twice as fast.

The usefulness behind this is it allows you to get a specific skill set for different situations (for instance if you really needed a legendary miner).  Also it can cheer up family members of the deceased to see them again (or they might get upset that their loved ones have been awakened from their eternal sleep).

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Another Magic Thread: Channeling the Dead
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 03:35:39 pm »

I don't see that downside as much of a relevant downside.  Water is infinite so long as you are near a supply, and food is little problem, as is sleep.

Also, why would you gain physical features of a ghost/spirit?

For that matter, why channel someone when you can just train your own skills?

The mechanics of this are rather problematic, but I don't think the notion of having some sort of seyance or possession or willing invitation to share a body are necessarily bad things, however, the game mechanics of this are problematic until there is a reasonable purpose in doing so.

In that way, I mean, if a ghost refuses to settle down unless they can give one final message or complete one final task or some other thing, then a seyance or channeling would make some sense as an alternative to something like an exorcism or even slabbing. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Supersnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Woodcrafter Competant Leatherworker
    • View Profile
Re: Another Magic Thread: Channeling the Dead
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 06:51:44 pm »

Instead of channeling spirits could a channeler be more of a summoner type character.  These people could travel the world and other dimensions making pacts with creatures/spirits/demons/gods so that they can summon them to battle or other tasks as a familiar.  However, each summon requires specific "price" to be paid--almost in a similar fashion of the prices in Darker Than Black.  "Prices" can range from nothing to almost nothing for weak familiars, gold/artifacts for dragons and titans, while demons and mad gods require self mutilation, blood sacrifices, and/or mandated subservience.  Taking a page out of out DtB it would be interesting to have your summoner craving the blood of children to satiate the contract.
Personally, I like it because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
If murdering parents in front of their kids in the most gruesome manner possible is too much for you, you have not played Dwarf Fortress
You should be drowning babies by now, human.