Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Artifact earring destroyed by magma  (Read 3791 times)

Fnear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Artifact earring destroyed by magma
« on: March 25, 2012, 02:42:04 pm »

Trying to build a steam generator based on an everburning artifact (set artifact on fire with just a touch of magma, let magma evaporate off, then add water).  Ideally this will become part of a dodge trap where goblins dodge steam - this may or may not be totally stupid and unworkable - it may just give them happy thoughts for all I know.

After evaporation though, the artifact is gone.  Not even on the list of artifacts anymore.  The moment the magma hit it, it generated smoke and wasn't targettable, but still listed as existing and at that square.

Does everburning only apply to built artifacts (furniture, doors, etc)?
Does a bin allow contents to catch fire without being "exposed" to magma?

And finally - feel free to spoil it all for me - if a cloud of steam appears, will goblins (or elves) dodge out of the way (into my side channels full of magma)? (if nobody knows for sure, I'll post once I have my steam-dodge-trap working.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Artifact earring destroyed by magma
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 02:51:44 pm »

Artifacts can't burn away, but they can melt.  If you apply an artifact made of a material with a melting temperature below the temperature of magma, then being hit by magma can cause the artifact to simply evaporate.  Being in a bin doesn't help.  You need to use artifacts made from materials that will burn but not melt.

Also, as far as I know, nothing dodges steam.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 02:54:51 pm »

Non-INORGANIC materials have a tendency to vanish into thin air when exposed to magma - this usually includes wood and bone, though for some reason it also includes glass. If you want to use an ever-burning artifact, your best bet is to use something made of bituminous coal or lignite.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 02:55:18 pm »

Steam doesn't attack things. Things don't jump away from things that don't attack. As such, steam is useless for dodge traps. Also in general, since it's not hot enough to scald things.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 02:59:25 pm »

Steam used to be sufficiently hot enough to boil creatures alive, in 40d.  That was a while ago.

A burning artifact placed in a hallway will set everyone on fire though.

Fnear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 03:25:24 pm »

Steam used to be sufficiently hot enough to boil creatures alive, in 40d.  That was a while ago.

A burning artifact placed in a hallway will set everyone on fire though.

I was thinking more - under a grate in the middle of a hallway - with a pressure plate that opens a floodgate and pressurizes a water source by 1 more z-level, up to the level of the burning artifact but one below the surface of the road.  (I actually have a floodgate to "enable" the trap at the right z-level of pressure and a door to trigger it)

What about lighting a coal block on fire, letting the magma evaporate away and then deconstructing a chunk of floor over the burning block with a forbidden wood artifact on that spot of floor.  It should fall onto the burning coal.  I can't find the right raws to determine if wood evaporates under normal fire or requires magma to destroy it?

At this point, I've put enough effort into the segment of road (fully obsidian, 3 z-level trench on each side with grates and a drain mechanism for quick access to goblinite, water with variable pressure going under the road and back up in the middle) that I'm going to build a steam generator even if it doesn't do anything useful trap-wise.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 04:50:25 pm »

I lost a non-magma safe rock artifact armorstand to magma a few versions ago. I think Toady's interactions rewrite altered the way artifacts survive magma issues.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 05:38:19 pm »

I lost a non-magma safe rock artifact armorstand to magma a few versions ago. I think Toady's interactions rewrite altered the way artifacts survive magma issues.

I had a pair of non magma safe artifact floor hatches destroyed by magma in DF2010, so it's not a new feature.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 05:41:07 pm »

Is this a return of the mighty steel bin with the !!lignite blocks!! inside?  Though I think I remember this wondrous creation incinerating anything that got within a several tile radius (or killing your FPS if you dropped one in an ocean).