Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Roll to Summon Demons Turn 2: I, for one, welcome our demon overlords  (Read 10356 times)

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Summon Demons
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 10:11:29 am »

Being narcisstic suits wizards just fine- After all, most people believe that the wizards themselves wield terrible powers.

Kinda surprised that only one took a bonus to summoning or drawing pentacles- Both are dangerous, if you mess up the pentacle you have no protection and if you mess up the summoning you could be killed easily when you try to summon a moderately powerful demon. Oh well, let`s see how it works out, you enchanting freaks! :P

Since i have six nice applications all will be in- Don`t see the point in creating a waitlist for one person, at the moment.

Had a little difficulty with adwarfs character, since the biography partly determines the starting equipment, so i gave him a standard one.

Turn 0 Arrival

Germany, Felsenstein, 1388

Noble lord Stephan von Felsenstein sent for wizards- And wizards came. You came.

You all have finished your education- Those that received a formal education. The others simply heard the call and came; While usually only apprentices of wizards are taken to court an exception was made- For lord Felsensteins late court wizard had died under most tragic circumstances. (A hungry djinn, an ambiguous order...)

Just after your arrival, conveniently at the same time, lord Felsenstein welcomes you in the grand hall of Felsenstein castle.

"It is pleasant to meet you. Under normal circumstances my court wizard would test you and would introduce you to your duties- But he had a little accident. Now, the position of court wizard is vacant.

Since not all of you have received formal training under a wizard and no one here is able to judge your prowess you will have to prove yourself.

The one who will impress me the most will become my new court wizard. Whether you summon a powerful servant, whether you create a wonderous magical item or something else is up to you. The others will be accepted into my service, too, but you will be his subordinates. Also, my old wizard left three interesting and magical items behind- His spellbook, his staff and a talisman. The new court wizard can choose one which he keeps and will have to give the other two items to his subordinates.

The court wizard is one of my chief advisors. It`s a position of honor, and you will have to be dutiful.

Before his untimely end my wizard managed to prepare six rooms for new disciples in the eastern tower- Those are yours, one room for each of you. Each room contains a bed, enough cabinets and chests, bookshelves, albeit empty ones, useful tools and two pentacles- He has tested all of them, they work fine.

The tower also contains a library, with books on magic and demons, and you can also find a forge within the castle, if one of you is inclined to work with metal.

You have until tomorrow midday to prepare yourself. Then i will decide who will be my new court wizard."

Lord Felsenstein asks each of you to prepare something to impress him. You have three turns before the presentation starts.

General information:

Felsenstein is quite a big town in germany with a formidable castle. All kinds of services can be found here- Markets, smithies, a big church.. The town is quite rich, at least the merchants are, for it`s an important trade center- But there are troubles, too. Upon traveling to the castle you heard about necromancers, bandits and corruption.

At the moment Germany is at peace with it`s neighbors, but there are tensions. Of late italy acted more aggressive towards germany and france has always looked upon germany with envy.

The church openly condemns the summoning of demons- Though, a lord is allowed to keep a certain amount of court wizards in order to "defend" himself against those who would use demons to threaten good christians. (They are hypocrites. The Inquisition employs wizards on it`s own.) Necromancy is completely outlawed, though.

Hints

If you want to summon a demon you have to look up the names of a few in the library or a book you are carrying around.

The pentacles in your room are fine- Though basic ones without any glyphs. If you want to use glyphs you will have to draw new ones. Drawing two pentacles (one for you, one for the demons.) can be done in one turn.

If you want to summon something you should start with something small- A imp, or a ghoul if you feel like you can handle a failed summoning.

You don`t have to become the court wizard. While being allowed to pick the magic item you want is nice, you could also try to get the favor of the court wizard in order to obtain at least one. And, after all, those enchanted items are sweet, but you can always make your own. Also, the court wizard will have some duties..

The player list:

Spoiler: Ander Flasko (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Conchobar Abrazand (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Klaus Strickmann (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Narvendar Wėrtel (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Edarath Valion. (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Renzo Pagliacci (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 10:29:52 am by Lordinquisitor »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Summon Demons Turn 0: Arrival
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012, 10:19:17 am »

Go to the library, and search for a book on summoning, and a book on glyphs. Take the best ones I find, and head up stairs to study them

Superior_Tomato

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm waiting. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 10:30:22 am »

I have a hunkering that this is based on the Bartimaeus Trilogy. If it isn't, it's spookily similar ::)
'Course with Dwarf Fortress, the only relevant question is, "How far away will the ASCII gibs splash on landing?"
5 squares per limb, if you raise the north orthoclase bridge before sacrificing one of them so they have a straight shot to the bottom of the chasm.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 10:30:54 am »

It is, though i added some elements of my own. :P

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 10:31:53 am »

It is, though i added some elements of my own. :P
Well I know who I'm going to be summoning :D

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2012, 10:51:50 am »

Uh....Why do I have three disadvantages?
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2012, 10:54:47 am »

((Forced to roleplay,eh? >:D))

Draw new pentacles.

Draw a Glyph of Might on the pentacle used for capturing demons in my room. Use my Creativity to draw a Glyph on the pentacle for my own protection.

Edarath looked about his room. The usual, musty bedroom owned by the Nobility. He sneered at the treatment given to him. Impressions would do no good for those who did not prepare, he even had to consort with demons to gain their trust.

Hah! They would not know what hit them. He stooped over to examine the pentacles already provided, they were crude and mundane in substance. There was no sign of glyphs there, typical. A smile crept along his face as he dusted off some dust that clung to his robe, he would show them what a true court wizard could do with his own work.

((Requesting username be aligned with the in-game name, so we know who is who?))

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2012, 11:15:01 am »

If I am not too late, here I am:

Name: Vikshothra

Appearance: He stands a little over 6 and a half feet, below his antlers. He hides his face behind a mask, with fear of the possible revulsion that it may cause.

Biography: He looked human once. At least until he got into magic. At the age of 10, he tried and failed at making his first spell, fusing him with raw energy, a dead deer, and fear of other creatures. All for the sake of making himself dinner. Six years later, he snuck into the wizards school, hoping to restore himself, but somehow managed to get enrolled instead.

Speciality:
Glyph drawing

Advantages and Disadvantages:
Deer's sense
Deer's legs

Deer's fear
Sore Thumb
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 11:22:59 am by zomara0292 »
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2012, 11:26:45 am »

Because i could find no real positive effect for the "A god i`m". :p

Also, some kind of balance. Your disadvantages aren`t crippling- After all, if you don`t want to interact with blacksmiths you can just ask your lord to provide you with metal, and as long as you don`t do something egregious the church won`t actively hunt you down. In turn you are quite the good fighter and can smith well. A good trade of. (And rolling a 1 is always bad, your craziness won`t make it worse but only more crazy.)

@Tiruin noted. Will do that with the next update.

@Zomara0929 waitlisted. Don`t know if the character is acceptable, for i kinda want only real humans, but we will talk about it once someone dies and you are offered to step in. ;)

@adwarf good luck. :P The demons are randomly created. Though, mayhaps inspiration strikes me..
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 11:29:52 am by Lordinquisitor »

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2012, 11:33:52 am »

@Zomara0929 waitlisted. Don`t know if the character is acceptable, for i kinda want only real humans, but we will talk about it once someone dies and you are offered to step in. ;)

Willing to change it, if you want. Just gives me a reason to. . . . . have a deer/human creature. Just for the kicks.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2012, 11:46:40 am »

((Thanks for explaining, and it makes sense. Also, may I have a tip on the HPs of ghouls and imps?))

Go to the library and look for books about glyphs and with the names of demons. Search for one with a personality that matches mine. Preferrably a ghoul. With good shapeshifting abilities.

Narvendar smiled. It was time to have fun, winning or losing.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 11:57:58 am by Caellath »
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2012, 11:52:28 am »

Since i`m a nice GM, and summoning demons can easily kill you if it goes wrong:

Imps can easily be killed by one equipped with a dagger. The danger of imps isn`t their strength, most of them know that they can`t kill you, but the mischief they can cause.

Ghouls can take a sword hit and remain alive, albeit they would be very weakened. Since some of them can even cast spells they could overwhelm a player in the early stages.

However, as you will see, most spellbooks will contain notes on the nature and the abilities of the demons within.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2012, 12:01:08 pm »

@Lordinquisitor:
I haven't come across the Bartimaeus Trilogy yet, so I have to ask you questions about the universe's specifics from time to time. First bunch:
- Does sunlight affect gargoyles if it's indirect, reflected off something, passing through the window? Is the sun's effect instantaneous?
- Would cloth be enough to shield the gargoyle from the sun? If not, what does protect them from it?
- What are the risk factors when summoning demons that are out of one's league(such as a neophyte summoning a gargoyle or a djinn)? Do you have to do something extra once in a while to keep the stronger spirits in line?

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2012, 12:24:27 pm »

Gargoyles were one of my additions, so.. :P Don`t want to give too much away, but some general informations about the lower class demons should be included in the education of any wizard, or? ;)

1. Indirect (or weak) light might annoy or weaken them (By making them sluggish). The effect is almost instantaneous, though a strong gargoyle might fight it for some time. (Or at least can try to land properly without falling to the ground.. Which would shatter it.) A window should let enough sun in to turn a gargoyle into stone.

2. Cloth could only protect them a bit- Might reduce the effects of indirect sun light. However, the very nature of gargoyles dictates that they turn to stone when exposed to sunlight- There isn`t anything that might protect them against direct sunlight. (Well, some kinds of spells cast by other demons could work.. Or a material that let`s no light through.. Good luck finding one. Of course, a gargoyle could be summoned into a golem or a corpse and would be able to endure the sunlight without turning to stone- But even then he would be slightly weakened.)

3. The main risk is that you might be torn to shreds if you fail to summon them properly. At the moment all of you lack some kind of magical protection or weapons, and a sword or dagger alone isn`t enough to bring an angry, spellcasting, djinn with much essence down. In addition, the stronger the demon the more intelligent he is, usually, and might be more tempted to test you- By doing annoying or outright dangerous stuff, or by searching your orders for some loophole. Some means of punishment are basically required till you can properly control a djinn. I guess the players could already try to summon a weaker djinn- But it would be dangerous. Strong Djinns, Vampires, Afrits and gods-be-good marids will all receive a penalty to their summoning roll- And might require two or more players to summon them.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 12:27:55 pm by Lordinquisitor »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2012, 12:28:14 pm »

And if the players were less narcissistic they could make a temporary alliance of three people and summon a stronger spirit, is that correct?
>Yes?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7