Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Roll to Summon Demons Turn 2: I, for one, welcome our demon overlords  (Read 10347 times)

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Summon Demons Turn 1: A mess, research and gems
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2012, 07:28:52 am »

OOC: Man, you're fast! I don't think I remember seeing any GM write so much and so concisely in less than a day - aside from Sean Mirrsen and Draignean, of course.

Also, what exactly does shapeshifting do - does it let the demon enhance its combat strength against mortals? What about spirits? Can it be used for infiltration and espionage?

Klaus's master once told him that a summoner's first powerful demon had to be a good, reliable fighter to protect them if any further summonings went awry, and nothing Klaus has ever read since gave him reason to think otherwise.
With the book still in his hands, Klaus mulled over the choices he had, trying to imagine what each demon would be like to deal with.

Rhithlale looked too weak for guard duty. Most likely, he would barely hold his own against even another lesser djinn. The idea of binding such a poor combatant as a guard seemed like an impractical waste of time. Klaus placed a bookmark on Rhithlale's page in case he ever needed a good shapeshifter, though.
Cruel, barbaric Skelkela would probably cast some overkill vaporize-everything-in-the-room spell the moment he had the opportunity, which put him about as far from 'reliable' as a demon can get. Its only viable application would be a one-demon-army sent on faraway missions: the collateral damage from its attacks would be too high for anything but itself to survive the battle. Even so, Klaus was sure he'd find a far better demon for this purpose if he put his mind to it, and didn't make an effort to remember Skelkela's summoning spell at all.
Now, the parts concerning Fisrusk didn't mention whether 'proud' stood for 'honorable' or 'arrogant' in its case, but Klaus preferred to hope the demon had at least a bit of the former. A spirit that keeps its word is much more trustworthy than the one that only looks out for its own profit, after all, and you don't live long without a loyal bodyguard. Besides, Fisrusk was the strongest fighter of all three, and Klaus thought the demon might be worth the trouble even if it had no concept of honor.

Go upstairs to my room and practice, practice, practice the binding of Fisrusk.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2012, 07:34:52 am »

I take that as a praise, though i wouldn`t compare myself to the great rollers. :P It`s all about whether i have something to do. Sometimes i have too much time to waste, sometimes i have to do hundreds of different things within a few hours. ;)

Shapeshifting is mostly used for blending in with normal society. Not even wizards can recognize a well disguised demon. A master of disguise would get everything right about his shape, while a bad shapeshifter could look odd.

Also, it is used in combat. Quickly changing your hands into claws, quickly growing wings etc. are useful skills for combat.

@Tiruin Starting with a very good and reliable spellbook would have been kinda unfair. :P

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2012, 09:34:17 am »

Ander's had found one of the books, and he wasn't about to waste time on another, so he began the trek up to his room. Upon arriving he placed his things in a corner, grabbed a piece of chalk, and began to draw geometric symbols in patterns around the pentagrams.

Make two new pentagrams out of random Geometric symbols in a pattern. If I get lucky they should work as glyphs
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 12:10:58 pm by adwarf »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2012, 09:53:36 am »

((Glyphs can't be used on pre-existing pentagrams.))
((K.))
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 10:31:13 am by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2012, 09:54:47 am »

((Glyphs can't be used on pre-existing pentagrams.))
I'm drawing them around the pentagram, like added layers of defense.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2012, 10:55:26 am »

I`m afraid that that won`t work. The limitation that glyphs can`t be added to already finished pentacles is meant to keep a certain element of danger in. One has to choose whether he wants to use his old and trusted pentacle or whether one wants to use a new one with mighty glyphs. Drawing around them counts as adding something to them. I`m also not sure how effective random drawing would be for wizards except Edarath- His creativity is one of his special advantages.

:P
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 10:57:51 am by Lordinquisitor »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2012, 10:57:12 am »

I`m afraid that that won`t work. The limitation that glyphs can`t be added to already finished pentacles is meant to keep a certain element of danger in. One has to choose whether he wants to use his old and trusted pentacle or whether one wants to use a new one with mighty glyphs. Drawing around them counts as adding something to them. I`m also not sure how effective random drawing would be for wizards except Edarath- His creativity is one of his special advantages.

:P
>:( You evil person[/jk] :P I had to try

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2012, 10:58:46 am »

Even if it would be allowed it wouldn`t be very likely to discover something powerful so not much is lost. ;)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2012, 11:04:11 am »

((Now we need the posts of the remaining players. Something interesting happening always gets me anxious for the turn of events. And...Will be we able to enhance our talents during this "magical" quest?))
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2012, 11:16:57 am »

I guess so. The problem with is that the D6 system is somewhat inflexible. (Would have created a d20 one or something, but that would have increased the necessary work too much.) If a player gets a flat bonus to summoning x, for example, it would be a bit too easy. Just take Klaus as an example; As long as he prepares himself he can get +2 to all summoning rolls. This is somewhat justified since he has to "waste" a turn in order to do so, and his major disadvantage has the potential to waste even more turns. But with another +1 he could summon anything (Except stronger stuff) without risk of failing. So i`m more inclined to let the players enhance themselves with magical items, servants and stuff. But it isn`t impossible that someone who summons a lot of ghouls, for example, might become more adept at summoning them- Might be tied to natural rolls of 6. But we`ll see. ;)

Also, adwarf you should change your action. ;)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 11:24:22 am by Lordinquisitor »

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2012, 11:50:04 am »

Since we aren't deep into the game yet and some players have already expressed their understanding of how their choice of speciality was unwise, maybe you'll let players retroactively change their specialities this turn? I don't think a party with three(!) enchanters and no pentagram artists will be much fun later on.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2012, 11:54:20 am »

If someone wants to change his specialty again i could be persuaded to allow it. Exceptions: Edarath since his bonus has already been used.

Don`t know whether a pentacle artist is of major importance, though. If you don`t have to make a great journey to somewhere you don`t have to constantly redraw pentacles so the bonus wouldn`t be used much.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2012, 12:02:50 pm »

The major problem is deciding what I'll be doing in the near future if I manage to live for some more time. I'm divided between staying with enchanting and getting summoning. I mean, before enchanting something with a demon's essence I would need the demon himself before that.
>Yes?

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2012, 12:17:38 pm »

Oh, good of you to mention that, i feared that i wasn`t being clear enough in the OP. Enchanting is just like summoning a demon except that you directly summon him into an object, telling him what he is supposed to do in the process. You don`t have to make two summonings for enchanting. ;)

Sinpwn

• Bay Watcher
  • That there guy with that face.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2012, 12:20:57 pm »

"Your hospitality shall not go unnoticed, villagers!"

Head back to the castle, stopping by the library to learn the names of a few demons, then get to work fashioning a bone amulet in the shape of a cyclopean skull, with teeth of quartz and a single ruby eye.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7