Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Roll to Summon Demons Turn 2: I, for one, welcome our demon overlords  (Read 10343 times)

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Summon Demons Turn 0: Arrival
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2012, 12:35:09 pm »

Affirmative. Though, first you`d have to find a book which contains the name of one of the stronger spirits, you`d have to get some means of protection (Magical charms, weapons, and bodyguards), and you would have to figure out who is in charge of the spirit. Also, even if you should manage to summon and control a stronger demon, like an afrit, right now you would waste some of it`s potential since you haven`t got any glyphs, except the one glyph of might, right now.

Please note that there isn`t a bonus to the summoning of lesser demons when two or more players do it- But for some strong demons it will negate the penalty to the summoning roll. In fact, once the wizards are powerful enough one wizard alone could even have a realistic chance to summon a vampire or something stronger. But at the moment it would be hazardous.

Doesn`t mean that you can`t help each other already. For example, if one manages to set up a  working pentacle with some nice glyphs added to it he could allow players to use it.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 12:37:13 pm by Lordinquisitor »

Sinpwn

• Bay Watcher
  • That there guy with that face.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2012, 12:55:33 pm »

Ask around about any bones or gems people would be willing to part with for the good of the soon-to-be court wizard.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2012, 01:59:13 pm »

((Uh-huh. Got it. I doubt I'll have much use if my first demon was limited to acting at nights only, so I think I'll stop on a djinn instead.))

Klaus scoffed at the idea of wasting his time summoning a lower-class demon. He had been practicing with imps back when he was an apprentice, and got fed up with them in the first few days of working together.
No, Klaus wanted something less hyperactive than an imp, stronger than an imp, more challenging than an imp. Like a djinn. Yes, gaining mastery over a cunning, evasive djinn will certainly be educational for him... besides, it would show lord Stephan how well Klaus could handle what his predecessor could not, surely winning his favor if everything goes well.

Go to the library and take the biggest book on djinni that I see. In that book, find a djinn with an affinity for lightning magic.
After I have the name I needed, take the book to my room and rehearse the djinn's binding spell.

'Time between deeds is wasted time' was the motto of Klaus's master. While other apprentices believed it merely an extravagant way of saying 'find something to do already', for Klaus it meant something else entirely: 'spend as much time as you can on one and the same thing'. If repeating a spell fifty times before casting would make it stronger or safer, Klaus would do so without a shadow of hesitation where others would just slack off and hope they get lucky.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 02:03:44 pm by HmH »

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2012, 05:11:11 pm »

These are Renzos thoughts.

"What are all of them doing? Looks like they're going to the library. Probably to bargain with the demons. To hell with that! Oh wow I'm funny. Well then. Lets get this to be a proper demon slaying weapon."Go to the smith and ask about getting a gem stone in his sword. Then get a book on enchanting"Yeah, that's it."
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 06:26:47 pm by Spinal_Taper »

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2012, 06:37:18 pm »

What is the schedule for updates?

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2012, 04:56:29 am »

Turn 1: A mess, research and gems

Ander Flasko

Action: Go to the library, and search for a book on summoning, and a book on glyphs. Take the best ones I find, and head up stairs to study them

Result: You go to the library in search of books on glyphs and demons. The library is well stocked, though you know that it won`t offer much information about the higher mysteries of summoning. A book on the top of a bookshelf catches your attention- You reach for it, but you stagger against the bookshelf and many, many, books fall down on you. [Glyph searching roll: 1] [Dodge roll: 3] While the books fall down on you, being books they cause not much damage. Amidst the pile of books you find an old one about demons, titled "Eastern demons". A silver lining, at least. [Search for books about demons roll: 5]

After an hour of reading you have found some promising demons:

Pheekque: A Imp. Apparently stronger than most imps.
Tinradia: Another Imp. A really stealthy one, apparently, but also mischievous.
Oldquaech: A ghoul of moderate strength. Rebellious, but a good spellcaster.
Peceraw: A strong gargoyle known for eating children.
Culrod: A weak, but clever, djinn. Hates christians with a passion.

Edarath

Action: Draw new pentacles.
Draw a Glyph of Might on the pentacle used for capturing demons in my room. Use my Creativity to draw a Glyph on the pentacle for my own protection.

Result:

You draw two perfect pentacles and you are absolutely sure that you did no mistake. [Roll: Hidden for pentacles. Though that one was a 6.] The glyph of might looks slightly crooked- But you think that it will serve. [Roll: Hidden for glyphs]. You also try to create a glyph of protection- After all, someone invented the glyphs at one point- Why shouldn`t you be able to do it, too? You try to invert the glyph of might, according to your logic it should somehow weaken demons that attack you. [Roll: Hidden for glyphs]

Caellath

Action: Go to the library and look for books about glyphs and with the names of demons. Search for one with a personality that matches mine. Preferrably a ghoul. With good shapeshifting abilities.

Result: The mess Ander has caused somehow distracted you from your task to find a book about glyphs. [Roll: 3] but apparently the bookshelf he toppled over contained some neat books on demons and you find one titled "Complex Compedium of Ghouls and other wights". Jackpot. [Roll: 6]

In the book you find several promising ghouls:

Namel: A strong ghoul renowned for his shapeshifting abilities. He is arrogant, though.
Ykimirynu: A good shapeshifter and spellcaster. He is weak and cruel. Constantly lusts after delicious corpses.
Nyobi: A ghoul described as "Pretty insane". He is average in every aspect.
Catyso: Can assume many forms, but constantly emits the smell of rotting flesh.
Kemukira: He is obedient and pretty cunning- Though he is a bad spellcaster.

Conchobar:

Action:
Ask around about any bones or gems people would be willing to part with for the good of the soon-to-be court wizard.

Result: You decide to visit the town beneath the castle in order to persuade people into giving you some gems and bones. Rumors spread fast, and everyone knows that you are one of the wizards that came to castle Felsenstein this morning. When you talk about your ambition to become the new court mage the people seem to believe that you have a realistic chance to do so. [Roll: 6] Many try to give you a gift in order to win your favor, well those that aren`t too afraid of a wizard at least, and you end up with a good meal, several bones given to you by a butcher and even with some stones- Several pieces of quartz and a ruby! The jeweler is really happy to help you- After all, mayhaps you will remember him later.

Klaus

Action: Go to the library and take the biggest book on djinni that I see. In that book, find a djinn with an affinity for lightning magic.

Result: The mess in the library can`t distract one with such an unique mind, and you find a book on djinn titled "Various djiin. Names, Powers and dangers". It isn`t very thick, nor written by a prestigous wizard, but should serve for the moment. [Roll: 4]

You search for Djinn that have some affinity for lightning- You find the following ones:

Skelkela: A strong djinn. Cruel and likes to cause chaos and harm.
Fisrusk: Average djinn with a good grasp on lightning magic. He is a good fighter, too, but very proud.
Rhithlale: A lesser djinn more known for his shapeshifting abilities than for his combat skills. Makes good use of his lightning bolts, though. Often annoyed his masters.

Renzo

Action: Go to the smith and ask about getting a gem stone in his sword. Then get a book on enchanting

Result: You go to the castle smith, a man like a bull named Trystley. You ask him friendly whether he could add a little gem or something to your blade. [Roll: 4] It works! "Uh- Well, lord Felsenstein asked us to serve the wizards as well as we can. But i have no gems lying around here. You have to ask Felsenstein for one." Well, you walk all the way back to felsensteins hall, wait till the other petitioners are gone and ask him. He consents, altough he is only willing to part with a small emerald. You take it to the smith and within an hour he has put the emerald into the hilt. However, that ordeal took some time and you didn`t have time to search for a book on enchanting.

/Note: If Klaus wants to prepare the spell he has to do so in another turn. Preparing a spell takes a whole turn and can`t be combined with other actions- Else summoning would be too easy for him, don`t you think? :P

The player list:

adwarf
Spoiler: Ander Flasko (click to show/hide)

Sinpwn
Spoiler: Conchobar Abrazand (click to show/hide)

HmH
Spoiler: Klaus Strickmann (click to show/hide)

Caellath
Spoiler: Narvendar Wërtel (click to show/hide)

Tiruin
Spoiler: Edarath Valion. (click to show/hide)

Spinal_Taper
Spoiler: Renzo Pagliacci (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 05:11:21 am by Lordinquisitor »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Summon Demons Turn 1: A mess, research and gems
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2012, 05:41:36 am »

Edarath looked down upon his creation. Perfect. Actually better than the pentacles given to him, if he would say so-...if he so far saw it. He opened the old tome that clung by his side, skimming over the various creatures of the unknown.

Imps.

Ghouls.

No. This was a pitiful effort. Ghouls were weak pieces of graverobbing trash. Imps were plain annoying and not suitable for this task.

No. It had to be something else. Something that would befit his passion, his goal. His essence in this current time.

He flicked through the next chapter of the book and scowled. He needed an updated book.

Search the Library on Elementals, preferably those on the Fire element.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 07:23:43 am by Tiruin »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2012, 06:21:04 am »

((Does Kemukira bad spellcasting limit his shapeshifting abilities? And is that compensated by physical combat abilities, say, is he stronger in mele than Nyobi?))
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2012, 06:38:01 am »

Spellcasting and shapeshifting are two different things. ;)
As long as something isn`t stated you can assume that the abilities of a demon are average. Also, most wizards can`t be persuaded to write too much about the demons they know down.

The (melee) Strength of both should be the same, nyobi simply beats kemukira at spellcasting, but kemukira is more intelligent.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2012, 06:41:38 am »

((...Can we keep more than one demon bound? Not for now, I wanted to try one of them now and summon other later. Also, can I beat a ghoul a little, robbing him of some of his essence and then convince him it is better to obey me?
Sorry if those were already answered somewhere.))
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 06:49:20 am by Caellath »
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2012, 06:56:14 am »

You can control as many demons as you want. As long as you can keep them disciplined.

You can certainly try to hurt a summoned demon with mundane weapons a bit. Remember to give correct and well worded orders, though. The main order- To obey, not to harm you, etc. must be given right after the demon is summoned; Only afterwards can you safely leave your pentacle.

If an order is worded well enough hurting him shouldn`t even be necessary. But remember that demons like to find loopholes- They can`t directly attack or kill their summoner unless they find one.. But demons are also fans of doing other bad stuff that you didn`t exactly forbid them to do.

@Tiruin

Searching for fire elementals and summoning would require two actions. Once you have researched the name of a demon- Like some others already did- You don`t have to search it again, though, even if you summon him turns later. In that case a quick glimpse into the necessary book again to get all the details right would be enough.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 06:58:04 am by Lordinquisitor »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2012, 07:01:11 am »

((So...my action should be search for the name of a fire elemental instead?

Old Tome of Basic Summoning, ye have failed me.))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2012, 07:04:16 am »

"...Uh..hu..hu.huu..ha..hahahahahhaHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!!!!"
Narvendar started to giggle uncontrollably, that was it! He knew what he had to do! Lightning criss-crossed the skies as his laughter echoed around the walls of the castle.

"I'm having a snack."
He said and had a little snack.

"Well, now back to summoning."
Well, at least the snack had given him an idea of what to dOH SHINY!.

Use the pre-existing pentacles to summon Kemukira. If successful, check for his friendliness.

((@Tiruin: Doesn't that tome only teach how to summon, instead of listing names of demons more powerful than an imp?
Edit: Yep´, enchanting was a huge mistake. After getting some of your explanations I saw it was kind of stupid. I just hope I can improve my skills on different areas, even if in a far future.))
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 07:35:25 am by Caellath »
>Yes?

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2012, 07:07:32 am »

(Elementals aren`t really part of the usual tier system. Their range of power is very varied. (From barely sentient manifestations of fire, water, etc. to beings that can set a city aflame.) It could very well be possible to find a rather weak one in that book. Though, the library could also be used if stronger ones are wanted.)

@Tiruin, yes, better. ;)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 07:10:38 am by Lordinquisitor »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2012, 07:22:38 am »

Edited action then.

"Useless tome, nothing good here is worthy of my competence!"

:I
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7