Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Way to save semi-frozen game?  (Read 634 times)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Way to save semi-frozen game?
« on: March 25, 2012, 04:13:36 am »

Since there doesn't seem to be a support forum, I will ask here:

I just have been playing a new fortress for many hours, and did not save it, which is dumb, but there you have it.  Anyway, upon typing a note (in game, the shift-N type), I hit something wrong I guess, and now the cursor is blinking for me to type in the name of the note, but it won't accept any keyboard input as part of the name.

However, every other command on the keyboard works... I can still save macros and Tab to change my menu viewing mode, etc.  Music still plays, blah blah.

Either:

A) Does anybody know what I might have hit so I can just unfreeze it? or
B) Is there a way to save the current game in progress with a keyboard shortcut, or a 3rd party program?
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Way to save semi-frozen game?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 05:50:33 am »

A) Wait. It's your best bet. I'm assuming massive temperature shifts, if it doesn't unfreeze after, well, a significant amount of time, it's  8) frozen.
B) I think DF hack has a "force pause" feature, that does what is says on the box. Though not much help if you didn't already install it.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Way to save semi-frozen game?
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 05:52:18 am »

If everything else still works, cant you just esc away?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.