Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: New dangers of GCS  (Read 20958 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: New dangers of GCS
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012, 11:48:56 am »

Nice helmet

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 12:02:15 pm »

In practice, they'll never actually bite the eye.  A prone shot is a headshot, eyes won't be targeted.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 12:06:42 pm »

OK, maybe I should have sacrificed the original miner so that I could trap the GCS, but at the time I had a massive operation going on to wall off most of cavern 1 to use as a tree farm and ore source. The spider was an unacceptable delay.

Maybe this information would be useful for tame GCS warfare in 34.06? Do they use their web abilities after being tamed?

Do other creatures with abilities spam them as much? Testing in the arena suggests yes. Dragon/fire imp/fire man/magma crab pillboxes appear viable.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 12:59:26 pm »

yes, when tamed they do shoot webs. the question I have, is how fast are they really? in other words, could they catch a kobold without using their webs?
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Darekun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2012, 03:03:09 pm »

GCS survival tips:
<snip>
…So basically, tank + ranged DPS? Send in your buffest meleeist with a good helm, backed up by a squad of marksdwarves?

the question I have, is how fast are they really? in other words, could they catch a kobold without using their webs?
The raws show no speed adjustment, so like dwarves, kobolds will stay ahead of them without ranged attacks.
Darekun likes iron, cobalt, alicorn, cut gems, elves for their comparative advantage, and goblins for being an iron-bearing ore. When possible, she prefers to consume tea, cow meat, and Bacon Salt. She absolutely detests pasture creatures.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2012, 01:16:41 pm »

Most fantasy style spiders raise their abdomens high and can point their spinnerets at an opponent, rather than having to spray backwards.

Huh. I always pictured them curling it under and firing forward from underneath, from between its legs.
quite a few real world spiders do this...  they use their hindmost legs to pull out and throw the web.

hrm....  i wonder if we can somehow possibly mod in a giant lariat/bola spider.....
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2012, 02:13:31 pm »

Imagine the fun of dealing with a giant trap-door spider infestation.

Do, de-do ... I'll just go and collect that weeEEEEEAAAAGH!

*Urist McMissing, Web Gatherer, has been missing for a week*
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2012, 05:47:22 pm »

Most fantasy style spiders raise their abdomens high and can point their spinnerets at an opponent, rather than having to spray backwards.

Huh. I always pictured them curling it under and firing forward from underneath, from between its legs.
quite a few real world spiders do this...  they use their hindmost legs to pull out and throw the web.

This. Exactly this. I've never heard of "throwing" webbing (outside of fantasy)
but most of them do something like this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giwm4RkbnFw
And things are usually bitten before being wrapped to reduce struggling.
Think about it realistically and "projectile silk" is kind of ridiculous.
Also, shame on you all for making me look that video up. I'll be shuddering and checking every crevice of my surroundings for the rest of the day.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2012, 05:55:58 pm »

What's unrealistic about it?

1. It'd be a viable tool for a more proactive spider
2. Mother nature has done weirder things
3. It actually already exists. Ogre Spiders.

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2012, 06:18:34 pm »

1. there are spiders that hunt very proactively, they don't usually rely on webbing.
2. Yup.
3.*Googles* Oh. Cool, learn something new everyday. But,that's not exactly throwing webbing like the GCS. More like fishing with a net.

What I mean about unrealistic is that, on a large scale especially, strands of silk won't fly very far in the face of wind resistance.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2012, 06:22:52 pm »

Mother nature wins again...

Ballooning spiders, as well as most species of spiders in their infant stages, shoot strands of silk through the air. Then begin flying.

Air resistance =/= Spider

Also GCS don't exactly have the range of a hunting rifle on them ^-^

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2012, 06:32:18 pm »

1. there are spiders that hunt very proactively, they don't usually rely on webbing.
2. Yup.
3.*Googles* Oh. Cool, learn something new everyday. But,that's not exactly throwing webbing like the GCS. More like fishing with a net.

What I mean about unrealistic is that, on a large scale especially, strands of silk won't fly very far in the face of wind resistance.
Are we really arguing for realism in a world where there are demons below you, magical blue super metal and dragons?
Dwarf Fortress - Losing is fun.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2012, 06:37:41 pm »

Are we really arguing for realism in a world where there are clowns below you, magical blue super metal and dragons?

You should have seen what happened when Brown Recluse Spider silk was brought up a while ago.

Blood was spilt on both sides, there were deaths; grieving widows wept at the loss, driven to suicide, taking their children with them.

It was... horrible. Never before and never again will the world bear withness to such tragedy.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 06:39:29 pm by KodKod »
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2012, 06:39:07 pm »

Are we really arguing for realism in a world where [REDACTED], magical blue super metal and dragons?

Spoilers man.

Also there should be a reasonable sense of realism, sure it's a fantasy world simulator, but it's got freaking tissue layers, science and shit.

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2012, 07:24:39 pm »

Are we really arguing for realism in a world where there are demons below you, magical blue super metal and dragons?
Are you aware you said that on a forum that has a 23 page long discussion on the physics of adamantine? (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104461.0) I'm not arguing anything. I'm perfectly content with GCS and web throwing, but it is ridiculous realistically speaking.
Also,"fantasy" doesn't mean that we have to accept that Iron and corundum somehow magically make steel.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 07:48:58 pm by Rude »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9