Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to force your dwarves to use specific bins to store artifacts?  (Read 3081 times)

luisedgm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I made 3 platinum bins for my artifacts, i made the dwarves place them on a specific stockpile, then i switched the stockpile from platinum bins to artifacts itens only, the dwarves simply ignored the already placed bins, left the artifacts in the remaining space (they did not bring any artifact until i made a bit more of stockpile space, as if the bins were blocking it), later i check again and they came with WOODEN bins, placed all the artifacts inside the wooden bins and left the platinum bins empty... now i have to find a way to remove the artifacts from the wooden bins and force them to place it inside the platinum ones, anyone know how to do it?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: How to force your dwarves to use specific bins to store artifacts?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 08:25:27 pm »

Do the same as before, in an enclosed area with a door. Now, before turning it from a furniture stockpile accepting bins into a artefact stockpile, first make a dwarf enter the room and lock the door.
Not 100% sure, but I think it should work, as the platinum barrels will be the only barrels that have a path to your stockpile. Your dwarf should grab the bins and put them back in the same stockpile

EDIT: you need to move all artefacts into said room first as well. Perhaps quantum dumping and unforbidding afterwards works best
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 08:26:03 pm »

Make a room. Make a stockpile for your artifacts and a stockpile for platinum bins on the room. Make sure to set no bins for both stockpiles with the q menu. Have the stuff hauled. Lock a dwarf in the room. Then add bins to the artifact stockpile and have it hauled.

EDIT: Semi-Ninja'd.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

luisedgm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 08:39:09 pm »

The problem is removing the artifacts from the wooden bins, i can't try what you guys suggested without doing it first

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 08:39:49 pm »

Dump them?
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

luisedgm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 08:47:43 pm »

Dump them?

after dumping they ignore the existance of the artifacts even if i reclaim after, they also stay inside the bins.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 08:49:16 pm »

Are you sure you're dumping the artifacts themselves and not the bins that contain the artifacts? Because it sounds like you're doing the latter when you need to be doing the former, the slightly more complicated to do former.
/人‿‿人\

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 08:52:36 pm »

Let some non-artifact rock handicrafts enter the undesirable bins and trade them.  The dwarves will take the artifacts out and leave them behind, probably in a different bin, eventually.

luisedgm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 09:00:40 pm »

Are you sure you're dumping the artifacts themselves and not the bins that contain the artifacts? Because it sounds like you're doing the latter when you need to be doing the former, the slightly more complicated to do former.
there is no option to dump the artifacts like there is with other itens, it seems artifacts are not dumpable.
if i just dump it all and reclaim they don't touch the bin nor the artifacts.

luisedgm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 09:02:52 pm »

Let some non-artifact rock handicrafts enter the undesirable bins and trade them.  The dwarves will take the artifacts out and leave them behind, probably in a different bin, eventually.
seems like its the only way...

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 09:03:06 pm »

Can you not dump them individually through the expanded Stocks screen?
/人‿‿人\

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 09:05:09 pm »

Should be able to do that too.

luisedgm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 09:17:30 pm »

Can you not dump them individually through the expanded Stocks screen?
nope

i loaded an older save, lost a few hours of progress, but i managed to place all artifacts in the correct room now without bins, the problem is: the dwarves now refuse to haul the platinum bins to their stockpile... maybe if i forbid all bins except for them it will work.

luisedgm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 09:35:12 pm »

YEAH after locking a dwarf in the room until it almost died of thirst i managed to make it place the 3 bins in the 3 stockpile slots, then he placed 10 of the 12 artifacts in the bins, i let him leave and im now waiting for someone to place the last 2 artifacts.

luisedgm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 09:46:00 pm »

Yeah did it, now i need engrave the walls with images of the artifacts and lock the door behind a big puzzle (80% done)

If anyone want to do something similar be careful, i don't know if it was something from my save, or a bug on my version of DF, but after dumping a bin with artifacts the dwarves will not recognize it anymore, they will ignore the bin forever!
Pages: [1] 2