Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Worst DF random syndrome  (Read 10443 times)

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worst DF random syndrome
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2012, 10:22:46 pm »

I had blistering rain on one map just about year round. Blisters your entire body and your flesh bursts. Death was very quick. Not a single immigrant survived more than 10~ tiles into the map. The evil of the land then resurrected you as an undead.

I would call that Dead Rain

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 12:27:01 am »

Husk clouds are now known as "kill people clouds".

MetalHead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 12:41:05 am »

My brother got an FB back in 31.25 that secreted a mucus causing rapid necrosis and death within about 30 cycles.  While the cavern exploration team sent to find was wiped out except for the one guy who got to the dwarf-washer in time (and he still wound up contracting Black Knight Syndrome from it, got a hospital dedicated entirely to him too from what he found) the beast itself walked over a webbed cage trap and demonstrated that such things really DO catch EVERYTHING (at least in 31.25).

He noticed that when this thing walked through a shallow stream in the cavern some of its slime washed off and contaminated the small lake it flowed into (and killed off a whole village of olm men to boot).  So he rigged up a reservoir with a small 1-tile wide area where the beast was dumped (which cost another 6 dwarves) next to a fortification and a spillway over the valley leading up to his fort entrance.  The slime washed off of the beast literally annihilated entire sieges, caravans, useless migrant waves, and whatever else happened to wander into the valley in a heartbeat.  After a couple uses (and another 15 or so lost dwarves) he built a bypass spillway so he could rinse the valley and recover the leftovers safely.

The name he gave it (the trap setup at least) was Acid Reflux.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 01:21:22 am »

That Frozen Extract syndrome will now be known as Ascendant Plague. The rain will be known as Raining Death.
The FB dust is known as Zombifiy now, and Callista's FB syndrome is "Black Knight Syndrome"
Hm. Cloud syndrome, causes brain necrosis. I shall call it.. TOO MUCH TV!
Splitting Flesh Virus and Underworld Ash.
Husk clouds are now known as "kill people clouds".

"Fun" would suffice.

mikuhlt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2012, 08:00:22 am »

The worst syndrome I've ever had (back in DF2010) was a FB that completely paralysed everyone around it.  I only notice when I got the message: "The kitten (tame) has suffocated", then my goats, then my sheep, and it kept on moving up the scale in size to my dwarves.  This was one of my first Fortresses too- I had first hand experience with "fun".

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2012, 08:26:15 am »

FB-gas causing instant necrosis of exposed areas, especially eyes. Instant eyeless lepers. I call it Roteye.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2012, 08:27:02 am »

FB-gas causing instant necrosis of exposed areas, especially eyes. Instant eyeless lepers. I call it Roteye.

The title is worst syndrome - not the best :D

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2012, 08:29:25 am »

Most FUN then?  :P
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2012, 08:33:04 am »

Eye-rot is one of the most useful syndromes possibly attained. Not to mention this is a contact syndrome - say buh-bye to pain receptors!

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2012, 08:46:49 am »

Eye-rot is one of the most useful syndromes possibly attained. Not to mention this is a contact syndrome - say buh-bye to pain receptors!

Perhaps, but I failed to mention the tantrum spiral that was triggered when the survivors started walking around the meeting halls and stinking up the dining room with their rotting extremities. So much purple...

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2012, 02:42:35 pm »

I appreciate all the horrific syndromes everyone is posting. Roteye is also a suitable name.

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2012, 05:36:09 pm »

I found a forgotten beast with slime the other week. It didn't seem to harm anyone, so I caught the beast with minimal loss of life. Since Nobody seemed hurt, I didn't wash the dwarves. Instead, I sent those who were too injured to be of use out to fight a goblin siege. They died, but not before covering the goblins in goo. The siege eventually packed up and went home, and several months later, dwarves just started going berserk. Turns out the goo that the original military squad happily coated their friends and family with actually caused the skin to ooze the same slime permanently, causing everyone to seem fine until they just had enough and snapped. And traders and siegers just walked out of my fort covered in the stuff. The later forts I made on that world dealt not only with monsters and goblins, but "corrupted" migrants who once visited my previous forts. I lost the save eventually due to there being too much goddamned slime for the world to handle, but this was the scariest syndrome I have ever come across in my many years of Dwarf Fortress.
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

Alestom

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Scotsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2012, 06:14:20 pm »

I had one with dust that seemed to have no effect, but after 5 mins IRL my dwarves got nosebleeds. I got scared and locked all of the affected in a 7x7 room and waited and observed. 2 mins later they start bleeding out of their ears and eyes.... I am dealing with more pressing matters 2 mins later (3 gobbo seiges, a FB and a minotaur). I look back and they are all dead. I look at the bodies and their legs and ears got blown off by (What I am guessing was) the syndrome
If I had my time again, I know Id be a fighting man

In far Malay or Vietnam, Though I am more a lover

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2012, 06:26:36 pm »

... "corrupted" migrants who once visited my previous forts. I lost the save eventually due to there being too much goddamned slime for the world to handle,...

That. Is. AWESOME.

A syndrome that spreads and eventually kill off the entire world? You my friend, might have been looking at an Age of Death in the near future :D
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2012, 06:44:32 pm »

Alternatively, the "J-Bomb" extract would also work, for those Dune fans out there.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 [2] 3