Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17

Author Topic: Let's Play: X-COM! ULTRAWUSS MODE! [Update 11: Rainbow Nation]  (Read 43406 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play: X-COM! ULTRAWUSS MODE! [Update 9: Serpents' Nests]
« Reply #210 on: April 09, 2012, 02:40:31 am »

Good haul, an intact UFO (if only a small one) with some combat experience for the grunts. One can never have too much elerium. Also yay for snakemen. What are your thoughts on night time snakemen terror missions? Instant mission abort if you come across one or a welcome challenge?
Actually, that elerium may account for half of all that we've got. I might want to actually pay attention to this stuff in the future.

As for snakemen, sadly I'm not familiar enough with them to fear them properly. With luck we'll get a very entertaining horror mission to correct this issue. :D
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 09, 2012, 04:56:42 am »

Good haul, an intact UFO (if only a small one) with some combat experience for the grunts. One can never have too much elerium. Also yay for snakemen. What are your thoughts on night time snakemen terror missions? Instant mission abort if you come across one or a welcome challenge?
Actually, that elerium may account for half of all that we've got. I might want to actually pay attention to this stuff in the future.

As for snakemen, sadly I'm not familiar enough with them to fear them properly. With luck we'll get a very entertaining horror mission to correct this issue. :D

Snakemen alone are nothing interesting.
Sure a bit more resiliant (nothing a laser rifle can't fix) than floaters or sectoids and probably better accuracy.
But their terror mission butt buddies.
Dear god those things are almost on par with Etherals in their potential to intercourse you over.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 09, 2012, 05:51:18 am »

Posting to follow.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 09, 2012, 08:33:05 am »

I'm not an expert so take this with a grain of salt, but especially during the first few months I try to let let all the UFOs land because of their elerium. I've had a few instances in post-July games where I pretty much rage quitted because I ran out of E so that might colour my perspective a bit. Still, having my interceptors and skyrangers follow any spotted UFOs and then assaulting them as soon as they land means that by the end of February I have several hundred units of elerium and a bunch of UFO power sources. Then there's the combat experience of having fought several full crews to boot.

Bear in mind that this method has caused me to lose maybe a few scouts (they probably landed before I got them on my radar, I think) as they flew out into space without landing. It's still a pretty good way to stock up on elerium while still only fighting sectoids & floaters armed with pistols.

And less I say about Snakemen & Terror Buddies the better.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 09, 2012, 09:33:35 am »

Yeees... Snakemen terrormissions are basically "Daytime only, blow up the everything, burn the everything". And you really want to save civilians.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 09, 2012, 10:31:11 am »

I have never had problems with Elerium reserves. Don't know why, really... but then, I'm not sure what people spend all that stuff on either! I usually end up selling it off in big chunks for extra cash.

Then again, I do love boarding landed crafts instead of shooting them down. I'll have the interceptor ready and waiting to blow it up, and send the skyranger to hopefully catch it before it leaves (and then the second interceptor to relieve the first before it runs out of fuel), simply because you get so much more stuff to sell, and oh do I love money.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 09, 2012, 11:09:43 am »

Once you get a camp set up on, say, a muton base, you can get a lot of it from capturing supply ships, true.

3. Run Resize Enable

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 09, 2012, 11:25:50 am »

I don't understand why anybody would ever need to grind supply ships for elerium, I never run out of the stuff. There's always huge mountains of it collecting in storage, right next to the alloys.

Snakemen terror missions are usually when you're either screwed to high hell or just a run-of-the-mill bug hunt if you have flying suits. My most recent game I had a full squad armed with plasma rifles and flying suits by the time I got a snakeman terror mission.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 09, 2012, 02:22:27 pm »

Yeees... Snakemen terrormissions are basically "Daytime only, blow up the everything, burn the everything". And you really want to save civilians.

Who cares about the civvies.
Fire more incendary rockets at those creepy crawlies!
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 09, 2012, 03:47:11 pm »

Who cares about the civvies.
Fire more incendary rockets at those creepy crawlies!

Every civvie that isn't behind your lines means another zed, which means another flash-moving corpsefucker coming after you.

3. Run Resize Enable

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 09, 2012, 04:21:00 pm »

I find your friend is open areas on a map edge. No matter how powerful they are, a line of soldiers with full reaction fire available is going to take them down.

If night, make sure to use plenty of flares to maximize your reaction likelihood, too.

Corners are definitely the enemy, though!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 04:22:36 pm by GlyphGryph »

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 09, 2012, 04:33:58 pm »

Chryssalids can survive a direct hit from High Explosive by the way.

The only good way to kill them is 12 soldiers autofiring heavy plasmas at them.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 09, 2012, 04:47:23 pm »

Let's not ruin too much. I want to see what happens when IronyOwl has to deal with a Snakeman Terror mission for the first time. That should be...entertaining.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 09, 2012, 04:55:14 pm »

Hah, Meph has the right idea. ;D
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 09, 2012, 04:55:42 pm »

Yep. I'll say just one thing: I-AC is your friend in every situation.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17