Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17

Author Topic: Let's Play: X-COM! ULTRAWUSS MODE! [Update 11: Rainbow Nation]  (Read 43439 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play: X-COM! ULTRAWUSS MODE! [Update 5: Welcome To Hell]
« Reply #150 on: March 29, 2012, 09:51:02 pm »

Nah, you need radar coverage, perhaps secondary teams for local incursions. It can also help to build a base purely for manufacturing/research.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 29, 2012, 10:18:35 pm »

I always made and sold laser weapons. Heavy lasers sell for ridiculous amounts.
They take longer to build and cost more to produce, though. I'm not sure which is better. I think there ARE better things than motion scanners, but by my numbers they were near the tops.

Yeah, Irony, I'll often have two bases contained of nothing but engineers churning out motion scanners, dedicated to oversaturating the world market, but mostly fueling my INSTA-RESEARCH labs and full radar coverage centers!

But then, I play pretty nonstandard games. Aliens? Funding? Pfffff, whatever. I don't need your funding, and I'll deal with your aliens later, I'm busy doin' BIZNESS.

(Not strictly true, I kill lots of aliens, killing aliens is profitable, but I don't worry too much about missing stuff)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 29, 2012, 10:57:48 pm »

Update 6: Collateral Damage

Feb 1st

Well, this is a pleasant surprise. Apparently everyone is absolutely thrilled with our service so far. As a result, our funding sees a significant increase.

With out new wealth of, well, wealth, I hire more scientists and engineers. The scientists are obvious, but the engineers are more on the advice of my operatives; apparently some of them insist I turn our noble earth-defending endeavor into a high-end weapons manufacturing operation. We'll... have to have a chat about that later.

I also order construction of further living quarters, as with our new additions we won't have a massive amount of room left.

Of course, it's not long before we have company again. An interceptor quickly engages, unloads its missiles, and fires its cannon continuously into it for several seconds before using its last Stingray to finally drop the craft. I'm going to have to think about a refit.

The Skyranger is soon on the scene, with the UFO conveniently located nearby. A Sectoid is also conveniently located nearby, specifically in the southeastern wheat field to the Skyranger. Miranda moves up to the fence and drops it, then keeps an eye on the two-story building behind said field.

Xenio moves to the southwest, finding and again one-shotting a Sectoid standing between two small wooden shacks. He sweeps them carefully, but finds no further hostiles.

O'Malley and McCannonFodder move to the northeast where the UFO is spotted. McCannonFodder can't quite make the shot into the hole on the top of the craft, so settles for fumbling it at the fence in front of him instead of the door to the UFO. The resulting smoke almost reaches.

Suddenly, movement in the upper story. Kilroy, seeing his chance, moves up to the fence and gives a carefully aimed shot at the upper story window. It still hits the wall instead, but the resulting explosion nonetheless slays the alien. And destroys the entire front upper wall. And... kills the alien on the ground floor? I didn't see anyone else shoot it.

O'Malley meanwhile breaches the UFO, only to find it a shredded mess. Nothing survived save the hull itself, and there were no aliens lurking within.

With that dealt with, McCannonFodder and O'Malley began working their way around the structure on the eastern side, while Maxclone, Miranda, and Sir Kahn begin circling from the west. Maxclone heads further south to clear out an enclosed hedge, while Xenio confirms nothing on his side.

Sir Kahn is forced to abruptly stop as plasma once again streaks past. She turns and fires, but fails to hit her assailant through the window. Miranda opens fire on the wall, hoping to crack it open, but brick walls are not known for easy demolition. She does crack open one section, however, and Stone Cold successfully takes it out with the first shot in a burst of automatic fire.

Which just leaves the other alien with what is likely a clear shot to Sir Kahn, discovered by O'Malley and standing outside but near the building.

O'Malley and McCannonFodder attempt to shoot through the windows, to little success. Realizing that Sir Kahn is not likely to fare very well in the open, and with Miranda and Stone Cold occupied, Kilroy takes an unlikely shot. It fails to pass through the window, instead annihilating the entire front wall on the ground floor as well.

The Sectoid, instead of firing at Sir Kahn, decides to retreat a bit. Which is perhaps wise, but doesn't prevent O'Malley from slaying it with blind explosive fire aimed near the corner it was hiding behind.

Another mission flawlessly executed, assuming flawlessly assumes a certain level of collateral damage. Several agents were once again shot at, however, which has made me more anxious to look into the possibility of alien-alloy armor for them. I feel like we're relying on good fortune and incompetent marksmen to continue not losing people.

Spoiler: Announcements (click to show/hide)

((Another small update. This is definitely the kind of mission that would have been good for a capture squad... but I have to admit, it was also fairly dangerous.))
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play: X-COM! ULTRAWUSS MODE! [Update 6: Collateral Damage]
« Reply #153 on: March 29, 2012, 11:01:24 pm »

Hmm, maybe we do have too many explosives :P

Then again, we've gone three missions without casualties so far, so I think we're good.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 29, 2012, 11:04:34 pm »

I'm forced to disagree. Sir Kahn needs explosives strong enough that she can destroy brick walls, if not entire buildings. :D
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 30, 2012, 01:16:41 am »

Aww, I didn't get to blow anything up. :( Maybe next time.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 30, 2012, 03:31:53 pm »

Has Jacen-001 been recruited?
Sadly no. You'll need another three fatalities before that happens. He's there in the queue though.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 30, 2012, 03:49:58 pm »

Woo, Stone Cold killed something! :D

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 30, 2012, 05:17:12 pm »

Has Jacen-001 been recruited?
Sadly no. You'll need another three fatalities before that happens. He's there in the queue though.

All the more reason we need more money for more bases for more skyrangers for more squads.  Mo' Money!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 30, 2012, 06:12:05 pm »

Update 7: Information And Nothing Else

Feb 7th

Another UFO sighted. An interceptor is dispatched to deal with it, but can't quite catch up. Our second is launched in an attempt to cut it off, but both end up chasing it instead.

One finally manages to catch up, but a single pair of missiles annihilates it utterly. Um, oops.

A week and a half later, we get another shot, but our interceptors are unable to catch up. They attempt to relocate it, only to find it has switched directions and is returning. It also picks up speed, however, and they eventually lose it over the middle of Africa.

On the bright side, with fifty full-time scientists at our disposal, research progresses adequately.

According to our results, these beasts are little more than attack dogs on a massive scale. Except I think dogs are usually pretty smart. And attack in packs.

Also, Dr. Euchre claims the implants could potentially be manipulated to allow him to ride one. His request for a generous funding grant and cadre of research slaves has been turned down.

With that dealt with, I order efforts turned towards alien-alloy armor. Results are surprisingly swift and more than satisfactory.

This armor is easily several times the effectiveness of, well, no armor, which is what our current loadout calls for. I order several units produced immediately, but our engineers are somewhat preoccupied fashioning a few more medikits.

With no further pressing issues, autopsies resume, and are quickly completed:

Fascinating. It seems the purple aliens- floaters, we've called them- are cyborg grunts. The reapers, as expected, are fairly hardy, though I'm surprised to learn they're supposedly susceptible to fire. The ones Commissar Bane fought certainly didn't seem very motivated to get out of it.

Research then commences on laser rifles. The pistols have proven more than worth the effort, and while I would like to spare some effort to alien weapons or more delicate ship systems, they're not a massive priority.

Feb 22nd

Another UFO spotted. Our Avalanche-armed Interceptor is dispatched to deal with it, while a scientist feels this is a good time to update me on the latest weapons technology:

Comparing it with the laser pistol and rifle yield some interesting results. Specifically, it's supposedly twice as lethal as a standard rifle, and actually more accurate for standard use. It's slightly less effective, but far easier to use, as a proper sniper rifle.

Its comparison with its smaller cousin is about what you'd expect- more powerful and accurate, but harder to use.

After careful consideration, I decide to continue this line of research into heavy lasers. There's ample alien technology to examine, but none of it jumps out as particularly more important than the rest. A heavy laser has some chance to replace our Maxclone's explosive heavy cannon, at least, though I somehow doubt it.

...oh yes, wasn't there a UFO in the sky right now?

Our Interceptor continues chasing it, with our Stingray Interceptor following along just in case. They lose it just north of Karachi, and so continue on in an attempt to relocate it.

This turns out to be unnecessary.

At 1:17, with dawn approaching, aliens have the gall to land in the human city of Karachi. X-COM forces quickly mobilize, rushing to equip whatever new armor is available. Only Urist McCannonFodder, Commander GlyphGryph, Sir Kahn, Miranda Galena, and Xenio Nebugolon are able to receive the new, hopefully lifesaving gear.

Its first test may well be coming up.

((Veeeeery sorry about the mini-update with a cliffhanger, but Minecraft suddenly calls. :P))

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

: Your loss.  Time to kill me some more civilians!  Er, I mean aliens!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd like to veto heavy lasers unless you've decided to go with the extension software we recommended. They are worse, across the board, than the laser rifles you just finished. They have no autofire mode, either. Utterly worthless.

On the other hand, think of all those ships getting away from you! What you need to start doing is researching your way towards better, faster ships. Build a hangar, too.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

MOAR INTERCEPTOR BASES! Also, yeah the heavy laser is crap. The only reason I ever research it is to get las-cannons for the interceptors.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

On the other hand, the improved heavy least xcom-utils lets you turn on are pretty good, not OP but reasonable for their place in the tech tree.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17