Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17

Author Topic: Let's Play: X-COM! ULTRAWUSS MODE! [Update 11: Rainbow Nation]  (Read 43444 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play: X-COM! ULTRAWUSS MODE! [Update 5: Welcome To Hell]
« Reply #135 on: March 29, 2012, 03:34:12 pm »

I was under the impression everyone knew that, and is why I suggested as much. Oops - should have clarified. :P

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 29, 2012, 04:11:42 pm »

More effective than smoke would be to just arm half the squad with assault rifles and put the rest on stun duty. Past Lizardmen the assault rifles become next to useless as a tool for murder. It therefore makes it a superb weapon to arm half a squad with who pop few aimed shots at all targets before stun guys close in.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 29, 2012, 05:34:07 pm »

Personally, I swear by the small launchers. I never sell them or their ammunition, and an AoE stun effect is very useful, especially when boarding a UFO.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 29, 2012, 05:39:19 pm »

We don't exactly have those yet, though.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 29, 2012, 05:40:44 pm »

Yeah, those replace stun rods WHEN they become available pretty much (though they should have both for occassional close in work!)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 29, 2012, 05:45:02 pm »

Do we have them though? It's not like IronyOwl is giving us a list of loot from each mission, not that it's necessary.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 29, 2012, 06:21:46 pm »

It is my experience that it takes a few months before you start getting them. Even then it's at least a bit random. Pretty unlikely that we'd have them at this point. Even then, we would need to research them before we can use them. They're definitely on the "loot thou shall not sell" list.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 29, 2012, 06:29:52 pm »

Yeah, within a few months ship engineers (at least from my experience with the sectoids, and in large scouts) will be packing small launchers armed with stun bombs. I think, at least. The engineer always point-blanks my soldier after he guns down a second sectoid in the room and both of them get ko'd, so I assume it's a small launcher.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 29, 2012, 08:40:03 pm »

What's your policy on alien loot? Do you just let it sit in the storage gathering dust, or do you sell any excess? I remember getting ridiculous moneys out of selling most of the stuff I looted.
This I'm really not certain of. You do get ridiculous income from it, which I'm not sure is entirely necessary, and there is the whole question of exactly who you're selling advanced alien weaponry to. On the other hand, it's not like you can do anything but sell, use, or stash them elsewhere.

Ok heres another X-Com funfact.
Smoke grenaes actually slowly stun over time so it might be a good idea to equip the stun team with stupid ammounts of those.
I believe all smoke does this, and if its effects on my soldiers is any indication, it's probably not a quick enough process to rely on for much.

And yeah, launchers are awesome, but take a while to gain access to. I'm not entirely certain if we have any, but I haven't noticed any in hand or being used, and I don't think I've seen it on the research screen (which is pretty crowded, mind you).
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 29, 2012, 09:21:46 pm »

Irony, it's not quick, but it's basically for throwing into downed ships through holes in the ceiling and through windows and the like, waiting for them to step out, and then having a much more likely chance of successfully stunning them with your stun rods or stun bombs once they finally leave.

The strategy basically involves you getting a decent position and clicking end turn a whole bunch of times. If you arm your soldiers with weak weapons like pistols and just shoot a lot of times, you can also steadily whittle away at health, and whatever stun HAS been added by smokebombs will render them unconscious.

Pistol in one hand stun rod in the other is actually a decent loadout for a capture team for this reason. (assuming you've got a couple hurling smoke grenades)

On selling:
Basically sell everything but elerium, alloys, and a one of each of everything you need to research.

Exception is heavy plasma - keep enough of that (plus clips) around to outfit a squad.

You should also always be building stuff to sell - never let your Engineers idle. Motion Scanners turn a pretty good profit, for example.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 09:23:33 pm by GlyphGryph »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 29, 2012, 09:38:48 pm »

I always made and sold laser weapons. Heavy lasers sell for ridiculous amounts.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 29, 2012, 09:42:53 pm »

Irony, it's not quick, but it's basically for throwing into downed ships through holes in the ceiling and through windows and the like, waiting for them to step out, and then having a much more likely chance of successfully stunning them with your stun rods or stun bombs once they finally leave.

The strategy basically involves you getting a decent position and clicking end turn a whole bunch of times. If you arm your soldiers with weak weapons like pistols and just shoot a lot of times, you can also steadily whittle away at health, and whatever stun HAS been added by smokebombs will render them unconscious.

Pistol in one hand stun rod in the other is actually a decent loadout for a capture team for this reason. (assuming you've got a couple hurling smoke grenades)
Ah, I see. I was thinking more smoke to cover them rushing said aliens, thereby lessening the chances of them being summarily shot en route.

On selling:
Basically sell everything but elerium, alloys, and a one of each of everything you need to research.

Exception is heavy plasma - keep enough of that (plus clips) around to outfit a squad.

You should also always be building stuff to sell - never let your Engineers idle. Motion Scanners turn a pretty good profit, for example.
But... what would I even do with that much money?
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 29, 2012, 09:44:40 pm »

Expand your base, build new ones, replace lost aircraft, use it to build more expensive things, hire dudes...the list goes on. You always need money :|

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 29, 2012, 09:46:10 pm »

Build moar bases for worldwide coverage. Attach science labs to the radar posts. Research EVERYTHING.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 29, 2012, 09:46:32 pm »

I guess this means I won't be building a secondary base purely as a mausoleum for our kills? D:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17