Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Motivating your Military  (Read 6725 times)

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Motivating your Military
« on: March 24, 2012, 12:16:10 pm »

Well, my newest "FUN" in Dwarf fortress is trying to make an ultra-motivated military. Here's a few things I've been doing lately. Does anyone else do anything similar?

1)Everyone must danger room until they get some useful fighting skill. No exceptions. Dwarf has a  babby/child? Tough. It has to go in there, too. Even with wooden training spears populating the danger room, it's pretty fatal to non-armored dwarves.

2) Coffins in the barracks. If a dwarf fails as a military member, he has to stare at the consequences all day while training. Too much failure? Take the beds out and replace them with coffins.

3) Family - Squads contain entire families. The selection criteria for drafting a dwarf is extremely simple - if the dwarf has no useful skills, then it's drafted into the military. In order to keep tantrums down, I go ahead and draft the rest the rest of the family. That way, if one falls in battle, the tantrum will be out on the field rather than amongst useful members of dwarven society.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Motivating your Military
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 01:13:29 pm »

1) No soldier must ever danger room train.

2) Everyone is in the military, with an exception to miners (who are put into off duty militia squads), doctors, bookkeepers/managers and distinct Dwarfs.

3) Spar. Spar, spar, spar.

4) Weaponlords are given housing in the noble quarters (the mayor is one of the most prominent fighters - or removed from his/her position, violently).

5) Weaponlords are promoted, and given their own two recruits to train, whom once have become weaponlords themselves, are disbanded, and given two recruits each. The original weapon lord is put back into his old squad, and promoted again.

6) Dwarfs with grudges are told to spar atop a cliff.

Tolisk

• Bay Watcher
  • [ANGRY_MAMMOTH=TRUE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 03:57:33 pm »

2) Everyone is in the military, with an exception to miners (who are put into off duty militia squads), doctors, bookkeepers/managers and distinct Dwarfs.

4) Weaponlords are given housing in the noble quarters (the mayor is one of the most prominent fighters - or removed from his/her position, violently).

5) Weaponlords are promoted, and given their own two recruits to train, whom once have become weaponlords themselves, are disbanded, and given two recruits each. The original weapon lord is put back into his old squad, and promoted again.

I like the Num 6 idea, mabey if we had 3d for dwarf fortress we can make a movie of it.
In the grim darkness of DF, there can be only FUN

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 04:46:45 pm »

I like the Num 6 idea, mabey if we had 3d for dwarf fortress we can make a movie of it.
Screw 3d, if there's ever a movie of Dwarf Fortress, it has to be in ASC2-D GLORY

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 04:49:16 pm »

How can you quickly find dwarves with grudges??  I don't have time to read 120+ personalities.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 04:54:15 pm »

How can you quickly find dwarves with grudges??  I don't have time to read 120+ personalities.
The mortality rates in my fortress tends to keep my population around 70-90. And I follow the lives of my Dwarfs obsessively. Plus I check their attributes often to see how they're doing, and SO HELP ME IF I FIND THEY'VE MADE GRUDGES.

How can they fight alongside each other if they fight among themselves?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 05:18:14 pm »

Any dwarf worth his booze could dodge another dwarf's attack, which would hopefully make the weapon go through a green skin's face. If not, then you end up with a nice serving of dwarf-kabob.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 08:39:30 pm »

Is there any greater motivation for a dwarf than having the opportunity to fight and die for one as glorious as I?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 08:46:51 pm »

Is there any greater motivation for a dwarf than having the opportunity to fight and die for one as glorious as I?
Yes, fighting for me! Slaughter the rabble!

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 11:27:07 pm »

Woah there, lets not get ahead of ourselves. I'm sure fighting for you is a very neat experience, but the experience of fighting for me is somewhere in between absolutely orgasmic and unbelievably life-fulfilling. Not to mention, the added pride boost that comes with being able to associate oneself with me gives a 3+ stat increase to your Elitism level.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 01:03:42 am »

Screw 3d, if there's ever a movie of Dwarf Fortress, it has to be in ASC2-D GLORY

You need to watch it through glasses that look like a Viewmaster-- flick the shutter to change z-levels!
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 06:12:32 am »

Woah there, lets not get ahead of ourselves. I'm sure fighting for you is a very neat experience, but the experience of fighting for me is somewhere in between absolutely orgasmic and unbelievably life-fulfilling. Not to mention, the added pride boost that comes with being able to associate oneself with me gives a 3+ stat increase to your Elitism level.

Fighting for me is not for reward of ecstasy - they fight for freedom of suffering and worry!
All who associate themselves with me get a 5+ stat increase to apathy!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 06:48:45 am »

"motivating your military"

Code: [Select]
@..........g....%%%=
..@.......g...g.=%%=
.@..@.......g...=÷÷÷
..@.......g.g...÷÷==
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 07:38:13 am »

Only via the relationships, but chances are there are no grudges even in your 120 dorffort.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 07:56:54 am »

Only via the relationships, but chances are there are no grudges even in your 120 dorffort.
Nah, Dwarfs can be hateful buggers.

It only takes two.

It also generates happy thoughts when a grudge dies ^-^
Pages: [1] 2