Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 24

Author Topic: Cogmind 7DRL (sci-fi roguelike from the creator of X@COM)  (Read 113088 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Cogmind (new sci-fi RL from the creator of X@COM)
« Reply #165 on: March 31, 2012, 02:10:39 am »

Non-EM explosives aren't very effective against Sentries.
...Darn. There were 3 shock launchers on the level. D:

Send me your score record to be added to the high scores! 4/Factory on a second try is already pretty good.
I didn't think it was anything amazing but okay.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #166 on: March 31, 2012, 02:13:52 am »

Send me your score record to be added to the high scores! 4/Factory on a second try is already pretty good.
I didn't think it was anything amazing but okay.
You can always send me a better one later to replace it. I like to see how people are playing and progressing (I haven't had much time to play lately since I'm busy working on the game :()
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #167 on: March 31, 2012, 03:58:56 am »

Oh my... Look what I ran into on 4/Factory...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I was scared for a moment, then I remembered I brought my trusty Advanced EMP Blaster. Then they were scared, or at least they should have been. A short while later:
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 31, 2012, 04:05:10 am »

Uh, wow, that's a lot of baddies.

Anyway, is it intentional for prototype identifies to carry between games or is that a bug? Because it appears that if you restart without closing the game you'll keep your identifies. Not that I wouldn't test any prototype I find anyway, it's just unusual.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 04:06:43 am by Tarran »
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #169 on: March 31, 2012, 04:25:01 am »

Hm, that would be a bug if it's true. Never noticed that one, thanks for the comment. I'll fix it for the next release (which is otherwise done... actually, I'm playing it right now ;D).

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 31, 2012, 04:30:23 am »

Creator's benefits I guess. Just don't keep it from us for too long. ;)

Also of note, I found a Grenade Launcher and two light armor at the start of level 1. Somebody is going to have a very bad day.

Edit: How appropriate, the game spawns a lot of enemies to compensate for my Grenade Launcher. Not gonna stop me.

Edit2: Darn, it got blasted away. Oh well, I caused extreme carnage while I had it. Time to run away like a little girl from now on.

Edit3: Oh lord, I found a room with 4 Sentries.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 05:42:07 am by Tarran »

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 31, 2012, 05:56:32 am »

Hover/flight was also supposed to be better if there was different terrain, but I didn't get to adding that.
Well, if they're worse than they're supposed to be, shouldn't be they buffed a bit?

And yes, removing them from scrapyard seems like the best idea.

BTW, do you play without detailed logs? o_0

Also, I would be eternally grateful if someone posted a video of getting to Research. Or at least to the second Factory level. :(

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 31, 2012, 06:09:39 am »

Speaking of Research, I got to level 9 on nothing but my core. I died, sure, but I frigging got there.

Lost most of my equipment in the lower levels, something like level 6 or 7. Then I spent several levels just legging(?) it for the up stairs for several levels. Finally met my end cornered in a room, even managing to kill an enemy right before I died. At least I think. It could have been friendly fire.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #173 on: March 31, 2012, 06:45:50 am »

I just got back from dinner and found my computer making strange noises, the monitors all staticky, and the speakers blasting static. That was scary since I haven't yet once backed up Cogmind to an external drive. Luckily it restarted normally... and the first thing I did was make a bak :o

Hover/flight was also supposed to be better if there was different terrain, but I didn't get to adding that.
Well, if they're worse than they're supposed to be, shouldn't be they buffed a bit?

And yes, removing them from scrapyard seems like the best idea.
They shouldn't be buffed, because they need to carry less and be faster. That's the way they work. I think I'll take them out of the scrapyard to avoid having players think they can start off with such a build. You can find them later.

BTW, do you play without detailed logs? o_0
I don't play with any detail on the logs at all. Default all the way. So far I even just stick with default targeting preference, but I'm about to change the default to a new "closest enemy" setting--no more row-based cycling at all.

Speaking of Research, I got to level 9 on nothing but my core. I died, sure, but I frigging got there.
Impressive run. Everyone can check out his record on the high scores list. Can you really get by with that little power and all those slots? Surprising. Or is that just because you were stacking on a lot of random extra slots at the end while you ran around naked?

Sprinting naked through the levels for the end will get you a fairly good score through evolution points, but you'd have to be either very lucky, or very good to win that way, because... (I'm not going to tell you, you'll just have to find out on the last level ::sinister laugh:: ).

EDIT:
Continued playing that same game. Still wandering around on 4/Factory blasting away everything. And for those of you who don't bother, see how pretty and nice it is to know exactly where the enemies are using high-tech sensors?
Saved my game though, since it's time to add a couple more features and release fix8. (When I do get back to that game, however, I may think twice about going around that corner ;))
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 07:34:25 am by Kyzrati »

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 31, 2012, 07:51:07 am »

Could you please not take the flight units out of the scrap yard? I find them to be the best way to do level 1. two flight units and a power core is generally I use equipped, I keep two ballistic guns in my inventory and retreat and re-arm whenever I find a threat. It works very well until you can get some reliable weaponry.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #175 on: March 31, 2012, 07:56:56 am »

At your request, I'll put them back in. Good thing you wrote, because I just took them out ;) (Didn't know anyone actually found them useful that early, since most of the games I've seen people either don't bother, or just get trashed that way.)

Besides, the scrapyard started to look a lot less scrappy with 4 fewer items in it ;)

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #176 on: March 31, 2012, 08:57:46 am »

Fix8.

* FIX: Missed close-range shots will no longer follow strange trajectories (also fixed a very rare crash related to point-blank shots)
* FIX: Prototype knowledge no longer carries over between new games in the same session
* FIX: Auto-target cycling no longer duplicates first target
* MOD: Item drop code will search a little further from preferred target if necessary
* NEW: Swap action (hotswap attached part with a part from inventory)
* NEW: Options saved on exiting game and autoloaded on restart (incl. audio settings, auto-targeting preferences, log verbosity, advanced stats, auto-activation)
* NEW: "Closest" robot auto-targeting preference (is now default)

Aside from some bug fixes, definitely the most appealing reason to get this release is the extremely useful swap action. Shift-LMB for you mouse users; for keyboard users I combined it with the reassignment command (Ctrl-Shift-a~z/1~6).

This combined with fast attach means you'll never have to do a long string of annoying and unnecessary inventory actions again. You can even safely swap a damaged storage unit out for another, even if the replacement storage unit is inside the one you're swapping it for!

Fix8 should be the most bug-free yet. I've actually played this one, as has my brother/playtester (we didn't have time to play fix5~6, which is why they weren't as reliable).

Now I get to go back and finish my game from earlier :D

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 31, 2012, 09:20:49 am »

* FIX: Missed close-range shots will no longer follow strange trajectories
Doesn't look like a fix - more like a highscore-compatibility-breaking new feature.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 31, 2012, 09:56:57 am »

At your request, I'll put them back in. Good thing you wrote, because I just took them out ;) (Didn't know anyone actually found them useful that early, since most of the games I've seen people either don't bother, or just get trashed that way.)

Besides, the scrapyard started to look a lot less scrappy with 4 fewer items in it ;)

Yeah, I totally agree with not taking out flight and hover units from the scrapyard.  If nothing else, it at least lets players experiment with these movement types.  I'm rather fond of the hover units, myself.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #179 on: March 31, 2012, 09:58:46 am »

* FIX: Missed close-range shots will no longer follow strange trajectories
Doesn't look like a fix - more like a highscore-compatibility-breaking new feature.
Nah, it actually has a very tiny impact on whether or not you hit something. It's more a visual change than a mechanics change, and it only impacts about 50% of point-blank shots (range=1), and was important to fix because a percentage of those could crash the game. So if you've had a crash before while fighting up close, that was probably when it would've impacted your score, but you couldn't get that score anyway, because your game crashed... Believe me, I do a lot of close-range combat, and it hasn't gotten any easier.

Yeah, I totally agree with not taking out flight and hover units from the scrapyard.  If nothing else, it at least lets players experiment with these movement types.  I'm rather fond of the hover units, myself.
They're in there, so happy hovering ;)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 24